Are 3 middle names too much?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to be clear, this is not for a baby, it is for my legal name change. Now, considering I am an adult (and not a child who will struggle with remembering my names) and really could care less about paperwork issues, are 3 middle names really still too much? The purpose for having 4 names (1 first and 3 middle names, one short 3 letter 1 syllable last name) is so I can have options. But is it too much? And does it look kind of silly?

Thank you, all opinions welcome!

I personally find 3 middle names to be a bit much, I’ve never even been a huge fan of 2. Since it is for yourself and not a child, it is definitely a more personal preference but I would still advise against it just out of sheer practicality.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m changing my name legally soon as well and I totally understand this! I am also trying to decide on the perfect name, and let me tell you, it’s been quite the process. I have actually been trying to put two names together because I don’t want to have 2 middles but the beautiful thing about naming yourself is you don’t need to worry about your child or anyone else having to deal with too many names because you’re naming yourself. Sure, three middles is a lot but if you’re prepared to deal with it then go for it! In this situation it’s truly what you like that goes because nobody else really has a huge say or will have to deal with it. I say go for it if it’s what you want! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to dm me if you have any more questions! It’s rare that you get to talk to someone who is also changing their name.

Honestly, I haven’t really decided yet, but each name are about 2-3 syllables long, that’s why I am not sure if it will look silly on paper.

Glad to know I’m not alone on this!

I’d think that as long as the names balance and compliment each other it wouldn’t look or sound too strange. Also, if all or most of the names are 'out there types, then it might look a bit silly.

Good luck with your decision. Sounds like fun!

Typically, I would say that 3 middle names is excessive. However, since this is your name, I have a different opinion. I think this poster said it beautifully. If you’re prepared for the possible confusion and paperwork issues that may come with 3 middles, then it’s your choice!

I have 2 middle names and sometimes i think 1 middle name is enough so yes i think 3 middle names is a lot but if for you it’s ok then you should pick 3 middle names.

It can be a bit much, especially when you figure in surnames. My brother-in-law (teenager) seriously has something like 6 names, plus two legal last names. It’s a mess…not a single person in the family (not even his mom) knows his full name. It isn’t practical, it doesn’t serve a purpose, and it is embarrassing for him. However, his mom made the choice for him. You are clearly old enough to gather information and make an informed decision yourself. If it wouldn’t bother you to have a long name, then go ahead!! It’s for you, completely…do what brings you happiness :slight_smile:

Maybe another option could be to drop your current (or intended) last name and use one of the middle names as a last name? I’m not sure about the process at all, but it would at least give you a bit less length while still using names that you love.

I sometimes think even 2 middles can be an overload, so yeah, imo 3 middles is way too many. Although this is a different scenario and it is entirely up to you, regardless of what anyone else thinks. If you don’t see an issue with it, then go for it.

I would bestow multiple names on my kid (no, I’m serious), if only I liked multiple short names, but place I wish to live doesn’t allow more than one middle.

I think 3 middles is too many. Because it’s a total of 5 names. Could you hyphenate two of them? ie. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is ok, but [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is too much.

I don’t think it’s too much. I recently changed my legal name from 4 names (1 first, 2 middle and 1 last) to 5 (1 first, 2 middle and 2 last), which in my case adds up to 12 syllables. On top of that, whenever I have to write my name, I have to write three names (my first and last names) all beginning with the letter H, which I guess looks ridiculous to some people. In spite of all that I’m extremely happy with my name now, because I feel like it truly reflects who I am, so if three middle names is what you want, I’d say, go for it!

(Side note: I’m Swedish and we don’t really use or write our middle names that often and I don’t know if you use them more in your country.)

What a neat idea, only issue with that is that you can’t use your surname as a first name though as no one really calls you by your surname I think?

I agree, if you’re happy with it, it doesn’t really matter what other people think.