Are Alice and Elias too close for siblings? (Poll)

• Yes
  • No
  • A bit, but you could get a way with it.

0 voters

[name_u]Elias[/name_u] is the longest standing name on my boy list… [name_f]Alice[/name_f] has recently eclipsed my heart. I fear they don’t work together! I don’t like [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] at all unfortunately :frowning: but they would probably be introduced as “[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Eli[/name_u]” most of the time.

Aww, that’s always hard when you find two names you love, but they don’t work together. I do think they would be too close for siblings, but that doesn’t mean they can’t both stay on your list! I have names in my user card that I would never use together, but that doesn’t bother me! On another note, have you considered [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]?

1 Like

I definitely think in their longer forms that they are too similar! [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Eli[/name_u], however, work just fine. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Eli[/name_u] all on its own? Or [name_f]Alessia[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] for a girl instead? I know they aren’t the same (and when you love a name, you love a name) but just wanted to throw out a couple of options for you.

1 Like

This is just what I was thinking. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is definitely too close, but [name_u]Eli[/name_u] feels distinctive enough. And, if that’s what you would call him the majority of the time anyway, it seems pretty perfect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay! I just feel like [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is so handsome and would serve a man so well throughout his life… Hopefully my love for one or the other wanes by the time we have to name our babies.

I have soo many similar names on my master list! I might have to do a big poll of them all at some point ([name_m]Emrys[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Atlas[/name_f], even [name_u]August[/name_u] is a bit close :frowning:)

Hmm I feel like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are still too similar in some ways? To me the [name_f]El[/name_f] and [name_m]Al[/name_m] sounds the same on those two names, whereas I say [name_u]Elias[/name_u] like EE-lias…

1 Like

I voted “No”, then I said them aloud a couple of times and changed my vote to “A bit”.

I definitely don’t think they’re too similar for siblings ([name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] would be, but [name_u]Elias[/name_u] feels distinct enough), but it’s the sort of pairing where if you were torn between [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and another name that was less similar to [name_f]Alice[/name_f], I’d probably recommend choosing the other one.

Note: I’ve just read that you pronounce [name_u]Elias[/name_u] “EE-lias” – that actually makes it feel closer to me. I say “eh-LYE-us”.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts! I realised put the emphasis on the wrong place. I actually pronounce it like ee-LYE-us. I can imagine in the British accent it would be more “eh” than “ee” (like bee) but I think I say it like that because I pronounce [name_u]Eli[/name_u] as ee-lie.

1 Like

Aha! Yes, then I think [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and ee-LYE-us are definitely doable together, albeit a bit similar.

1 Like

Ahh, two of my favorites names. I wonder the same thing everyday.

I pronounce [name_u]Elias[/name_u] ee-lye-us or ay-lee-us depending on the day, so:

Alice and ee-lye-us - too close.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and ay-lee-us - fine.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone pronounces [name_u]Elias[/name_u] like ay-lee-us where I’m from! Is that like the word Alias? Here we say it either ee-lye-us or ill-lye-us.

Isn’t it such a bummer, two such wonderful names :persevere: and all my alternate girl names start with E ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] etc) so that’s not much help either!

I am from a country that would say Eh-lee-us (so yeah actually also like Alias but the first syllable is like eh/ 'ey (hey without the H)*) but live somewhere that would say ee-lye-us. I can choose both :star_struck: :grin:

*sorry I am making this complicating, I am terrible at explaining pronunciation. :see_no_evil:

Aw it’s ok! I think as others say [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Eli[/name_u] are fine together… It’s just about getting the right combo… Maybe even [name_m]Elio[/name_m]?

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_m]Elio[/name_m] is cute but [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Eliott[/name_u]? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t know why but I don’t love [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]! Maybe cause I knew a few growing up… and it always makes me think of the show Scrubs.

I love those names together sooo cute

1 Like