Are any of these boy names too played out/popular?

I am trying to choose a name that is recognizable, but is never destined for the top of the charts. I also don’t want a name that is trying really hard be original and hip, but is actually on the verge of becoming very popular (some examples - [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_m]Archer[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]).

I’d love input - good or bad!

Here are my favorites - please tell me if they are absolutely horrible, or if you have any more suggestions that are similar:

[name_u]Bryce[/name_u]
Ariston
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]
[name_u]Elon[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]
[name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_u]Keegan[/name_u] (family name…although it is pretty trendy)
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]

I don’t think any of the names you listed are in danger of becoming too popular.

Of the names you listed, the only one that struck me as possibly worthy of being called “played out” is [name_u]Bryce[/name_u]. [name_u]Bryce[/name_u]'s popularity peaked around 1999, when it made it into the Top 100 most popular baby boy names that year at #92. [name_u]Keegan[/name_u] has never even made it to Top 100 - peaked at #222 in 2007. Ariston, [name_u]Elon[/name_u] & [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] I would say are so esoteric they won’t be flirting with the US charts any time soon. That leaves [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] & [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], and [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] & [name_u]Alden[/name_u]. I class the former two as leaning toward the more retro/hip vibe, and the latter as more likely to trend. They’re still far, far from overdone and I love both names! But they are the kind I can see getting attached to a TV character any day now and there goes a name boom.

It’s hard to recommend anything over a family name, but I’d be much more name-ly excited to meet a baby Ariston or baby [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] than [name_u]Keegan[/name_u], just because it does somehow blend with other trendy boy names like [name_m]Cayden[/name_m], [name_u]Keenan[/name_u], etc.

Out of all the names on the list, the one that to me 1) sounds cool without trying very hard and 2) hasn’t been and isn’t likely to be very popular is [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m].

The only name on your list that is already very popular/common on popularity charts is [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]. My favourite on your list is definitely [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] and if you’re looking for it to be even further down the charts, I love the spelling of [name_m]Piers[/name_m]. Other suggestions…

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m]/[name_m]Euan[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]

Of your list, I’d go with [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] or [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]. These are all recognizable but fairly unique and I don’t think they’ll ever go to the top of the charts. [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is by far the most popular but if you look at the social security list, it’s held extremely steady for the past 15 years (in 2000 it was 498 and in 2014 it was 470) so that to me is an indication that it will always be a recognizable name but never a trendy one.

I’d steer clear of [name_u]Alden[/name_u] bc (as you can see from the responses!) I think it’s likely to be confused with [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], which I’d avoid with a 100 foot poll. [name_u]Keegan[/name_u] – has that trendy Irish-y sound as you pointed out. And [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] – while I don’t think will ever be like a top 20 or anything I’ve recently encountered two acquaintances who have named their sons [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]… so, take from that what you will – I don’t think it’s as “rare” as its ranking would suggest.