Are J-pronounced-as-Y names wearable in the US?

I’m talking all the Nordic and Eastern European names like [name_f]Sonja[/name_f], [name_f]Lilja[/name_f], and [name_f]Freja[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] they work in the US, or will they constantly deal with “son-YA not son-DJA”?

I think it depends on the name itself. I have a close friend named [name_f]Anja[/name_f], and haven’t seen her run into too much trouble. People will [i]usually[i] hear your name before they see it, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem. [name_f]Sonja[/name_f] is wearable as well, but i don’t know about [name_f]Lilja[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Freja[/name_f]/[name_f]Freya[/name_f] with the latter spelling.

I think they can be wearable. [name_f]Sonja[/name_f] was fairly common a few decades ago, and some other J-pronounced-as-Y names like [name_m]Johan[/name_m] aren’t unheard of. People may struggle when they first see it, but I think most would be fine once corrected. [name_m]Even[/name_m] common, basic English names get misread and mispronounced regularly, so I wouldn’t let that stop you from using one you like.