Are Leo and Lyra too similar for twins?

2 of my favorite names but I worry that they might be too similar what with the constellation references + the “lee-” sound (I would pronounce [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] leer-ah)

I think with the leer-ah pronunciation they’re too similar, sorry! I could see people mixing them up a lot, and it gets complicated when you consider nicknames – I’d personally default to calling a [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] “Ly” as a nickname, which is even more similar to [name_u]Leo[/name_u].

3 Likes

unfortunately they feel just a little too matchy for me - you could probably get away with it using the lye-ruh pronunciation, but as leer-uh they’re just too soundalike. although it’s maybe just a bit much as twin first names, i think the constellation link is absolutely gorgeous, and i think that leo and lyra could be absolutely stunning twin middles !! the sound-alike isn’t as much of a problem, since you’re not going to be calling them, and the shared meaning becomes a clever way of linking them.

2 Likes

Pronounced Leer-ah and Lee-oh, they’re probably too similar.
(But I get where you’re coming from. Pronounced Lee-oh and Lie-ra, those are my first choices for boy/girl twins.)

1 Like

I’d mix them up

1 Like

with the leer-uh sound, I would consider them too close

1 Like

Too close IMO.

Maybe [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] & [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] instead?

1 Like

Yes, too similar with the “lee-ruh” pronunciation. I think [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (“lye-ruh”) are great as a pair, however!

2 Likes

If [name_u]Leo[/name_u] is said leh-o no,
If [name_u]Leo[/name_u] is said lee-o yes.

1 Like

a little too similar for twins in my opinion.
Maybe something like [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_f]Elara[/name_f] would work if you like the ‘L’ sound x

1 Like

I’d say yes, they’re too similar. Lee-oh and Leer-ah sound very similar to me!

1 Like

i think they’re a bit too close, especially with the leer-uh pronunciation. using one or both as middles could be a good compromise?

1 Like

am I the only one who thinks it’s absolutely fine :joy:

1 Like

I love the constellation association between them as well as the matching initials! As others have said, this would only work if [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is pronounced as ‘ly-ra’

2 Likes

I was going to say no until I saw how you’re pronouncing [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and Lie-ruh would be fine and actually cute for twins. Leer-uh is a bit too close with [name_u]Leo[/name_u]

1 Like

Yes, too similar

1 Like