Are multicultural combos doomed to be inconsistent?

I think the more imperfect the flow is, the more the different styles of the names will be highlighted. Almost all of the girls combos you came up with either have a double -a ending, share an initial somewhere or share a lot of sounds - or a combination of those.
Now, I don’t think flow is important but I do think it can act as a coherency creator.
E.g. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] Vellamo [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] rolls off the tongue, the names become one unit, one name. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Onerva shares the F initial and the double -a ending, which creates a choppier flow and you pay more attention to the individual names.

So, while I personally don’t think it’s important that a name flows well, creating a combo that does flow well will make almost any names sound coherent together.

Yes, I am - due 28th [name_u]December[/name_u]

Wow! So exciting to see whether the baby will be a -21 or -22 baby!
All the best for the last month :heart:

1 Like

Hmm. Probably because of cultural differences, we have a different understanding of flow. I’ve never really understood why anglophones put short names as the third middle when to me (and to all the Finnish people I know) it sounds better if the longer middle is the last.
To me [name_f]Freya[/name_f] Vellamo [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] sounds like three names that don’t go together at all or [name_f]Freya[/name_f] Vellamo and then [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] Vellamo sounds a lot more whole but still imperfect because that combo isn’t my best work.

To me [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] [name_f]Freya[/name_f] Onerva is pretty perfect in terms of flow. I don’t mind the double a-ending, it brings the names together. I also don’t mind alliteration. I actually do it on purpose because I like it, like [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] Loviisa. Having the previous name end in the same letter as the next initial is sometimes quite bad, like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] Onerva… clashes too much :grimacing:. But I’m also used to it because my own name is [name_f]Iris[/name_f] S****a A*****.

[name_f]My[/name_f] examples definitely aren’t masterpieces flow-vice but to me they’re mostly fine. The order is my thing and I’m not going to change it. I’ve made my peace with most of Nameberry not understanding.

But you make very valid points. Thank you :relaxed:

Which is totally fine but you also put this at the very top of your post

and I replied with some suggestions of what might make the names more cohesive to you!
If you like the names and the flow then that’s great :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

@OpheliaFlora And I really appreciate your flow perspective! I’ll definitely think about it more and try and find names that flow better.
What I meant by combining the names, however, wasn’t about flow. It was about the stylistic differences between the names and the fact that Finnish sounds very different to English (melody, rhythm, intonation, it’s all different). That kind of cohesiveness can’t, in my mind, be achieved with flow. They will always be names from different cultures but I guess that’s the whole point. Like Clara Beatrice and Lilian Freya Onerva just aren’t equally cohesive in terms of style even if you ignore flow altogether.

I was a bit taken aback by your flow suggestion because I hadn’t thought of flow when making this post. And I feel self-conscious about flow because I know people think my sense of flow is flawed.

Some of the example combos I actually just came up with without thinking too much or stress-testing them. So they’re flawed and I will look at the things you mentioned. Like Freya Florence doesn’t really work as well as I wish it did (Florence would be so nicely consistent with Ingrid’s Beatrice).

I hope this makes sense to you. I’m a bit sleep-deprived and not always making sense even to myself…

I absolutely love [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] with [name_f]Freya[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of the [name_f]Freya[/name_f] combo’s is [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Loviisa.

I think it’s lovely when a name includes the heritages of both parents. I once read somewhere that the [name_f]Freja[/name_f] spelling is more popular in Scandinavian countries, so maybe using that spelling could give it more of a Scandinavian vibe? I don’t know, just a thought! :blush:

The stylistic inconsistency doesn’t bother me. When names are important to you for their meaning, heritage,… you should’t really worry about good flow imo. When I have a daughter one day, whatever her first name will be, her middle name will always be [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] is a very important and significant name for me and my family, so I won’t be bothered by “a good flow” or if her name “looks nice”. If it’s important for you to use a Finnish name - which I totally understand - just use it!

Some suggestions you might like:
[name_f]Anja[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Pipsa[/name_f], [name_f]Minna[/name_f], [name_f]Sade[/name_f], [name_u]Auri[/name_u], [name_f]Elvi[/name_f], Yrsa

[name_m]Esa[/name_m], [name_m]Heikki[/name_m], [name_m]Onni[/name_m], [name_m]Rasmus[/name_m], [name_m]Aro[/name_m], [name_u]Aki[/name_u]

1 Like

@Ruthvd Freja is definitely more common but I’m worried about pronounciation and spelling issues. I like Freja quite equally with Freya but if I had to choose one I’d choose Freya anyways. Then there’s the original spelling Freyja that isn’t very popular but I like it.

None of the names you suggested are really my thing. Lumi is sweet but popular. My godson is Heikki and my brother’s middle name is Onni.

1 Like

That’s totally fair, perhaps I misread the tone of your reply!
Flow isn’t universal and depends of the language of course and I’d be the last person to say that flow or cohesiveness matters, I’d always choose a meaningful combo over a well flowing one.
Personally, a mix of origins in names always makes me think of royal names, the youngest [name_m]Danish[/name_m] royal kids, for example, have Greenlandic middle names and they sound great to me with their very classic fist names!

1 Like

lilian freya onerva & ingrid helen beatrice go perfectly imo !! oscar & ingrid is also perfect !! oscar oiva alistair & ingrid helen beatrice seems a bit off because of oiva being virtually unknown in english-speaking countries. however, i don’t think it’s different enough to make it really off-putting. if it still bothers you, though, there are lots of options for finnish masculine names that are a bit more stylistically matchy with ingrid helen beatrice !

1 Like

I actually visually like the styles together in a lot of those combos and it doesn’t look inconsistent to me :slightly_smiling_face: And when I say them, I like them together as well but idk if it’s because I’m saying them in an [name_f]English[/name_f] accent and maybe it sounds slightly different in Finnish? [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it does seem inconsistent, I think the meaning and significance is more important than being stylistically consistent

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Freya[/name_f] Onerva [name_f]Apolline[/name_f], [name_m]Fabian[/name_m] [name_m]Oiva[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also, I don’t think the names are too difficult to pronounce

1 Like