Are Nola and Roscoe too far out there?

I am thinking of [name]Nola[/name] or [name]Roscoe[/name] for my [name]December[/name] baby, but I think that my family is going to think that I’m nuts. I know that they’re both unusual. My sister really likes trendy names, and my parents just don’t seem to like anything that I suggest ([name]Helen[/name] and [name]Luther[/name] were earlier suggestions that they were very critical of). My last name is a consonant-heavy Scottish-Irish Mc- name, so I think that both [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name] have a softer sound offsetting that. I like that they are uncommon but not made-up and don’t have any go-to nicknames. And I feel like [name]Roscoe[/name] and [name]Nola[/name] would have personality. :slight_smile: They will both be relatively easy to pronounce and spell. I was also considering [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Verity[/name], [name]Greta[/name], or [name]Imogen[/name], but [name]Jasper[/name] seems to be getting more popular, and [name]Nola[/name] I just like enough that I am slightly leaning toward it over the others. I feel like I’ve considered every name under the sun, so I don’t think that I necessarily need more suggestions. I just need to know if my family, friends, and coworkers are going to think that I got some bad drugs in the hospital if I walk away with a baby named [name]Roscoe[/name] or [name]Nola[/name].

My son was [name]Benton[/name] [name]Grover[/name] from the moment we found out we were having a boy. My family hated it! [name]Benton[/name] is the name of a town in our state and [name]Grover[/name] they thought was too old fashioned. They didn’t come right out and say it, but I can read them well. My dad said he was going to call him [name]Ben[/name]. It’s been over year now since [name]Benton[/name] [name]Grover[/name] was born and he OWNS his name. I’ve never heard any of my family call him [name]Ben[/name]. It’s [name]Benton[/name], [name]Benton[/name] [name]Grover[/name], or Mr. [name]Grover[/name]. lol If you really love a name, don’t be afraid to use it just because family might think you’re crazy. In the end, they’ll more than likely come to love it. :wink:

I would suggest starting your own tradition of not revealing the name of your baby until it’s on the birth certificate. People will not openly critique the baby once they are named (at least not nice people!). As my mama always said, “They had their turn and now it’s mine.” It’s your turn and it doesn’t have to be their favorite. We don’t tell the name except to a few extremely respectful until after they arrive. It hurts my feelings when people don’t like our names so I just save myself the grief. I really appreciate that you don’t want to used a made up name. There is nothing wrong at all with the names you’ve mentioned.
I love the meaning of [name]Helen[/name] although I love [name]Helena[/name] more. [name]Nola[/name] is cute too, I love the longer [name]Magnolia[/name] with the nn. [name]Nola[/name] also. I know one thing that helps us love names and defend them is when they have profound significance to us in their meaning. Names are a gift we give our babe’s and when thoughtfully given they will be treasured. Anyways just wanted to encourage you. Blessings on you and your baby.

caty_beth, I actually love [name]Grover[/name]. I think it’s so cuddly. I’ve never heard [name]Benton[/name] before, but I could see how it works.

And I know that you’re right. I need to develop some thicker skin, because even beyond names, I’m already getting a ton of well-intentioned parenting advice that just isn’t my style. I have to learn to ignore the critics and just do my thing, I guess. I can already see that it’s going to be a challenge for me.

That’s probably a good idea, sweetpea. I’m just such a name nerd that I get so excited and want to share with everyone. Thanks for the encouragement. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to chime in and say I love both [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] sounds, spunky, fresh - I can see them on cute babies - and they’ll grow with them! :slight_smile:

[name]Nola[/name] is a fantastic name!

[name]Roscoe[/name] I’m not so fond of, but that’s up to you.

I support the idea that you wait to discuss baby names until its written on paper - so that it’s your decision and not anyone else’s.

I don’t think they’re too out there! For one thing, they’re both easy to spell (especially [name]Nola[/name]…[name]Roscoe[/name] might occasionally throw people) and easy to read (both equally). They’re attractive names that your child will probably not share. These are all great things. [name]Nola[/name] is not my own style but I see the appeal, and it will probably grow on me hanging around NB, and [name]Roscoe[/name] I find both adorable and able to grow : D.

I really like all the other names you’re considering too, especially [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Verity[/name]. They both go well with [name]Nola[/name] btw if you’re considering future children. As does [name]Greta[/name]! (Which I also like on its own fine, but I like [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Verity[/name] more - I guess my thing is I usually go for slightly longer names, even though I do have a few favorites in the shorter category. But actually, sisters [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Greta[/name] would be awesome!). And [name]Roscoe[/name] fits right in with all of them. [name]Jasper[/name] is a great name, I agree it’s somewhat trendier, although I think it would work if you still like it down the road.

All best whatever you decide!

I don’t think [name]Nola[/name] is too ‘out there’ at all! And [name]Roscoe[/name] is pretty bold, but I don’t think it’s strange, either. [name]Nola[/name] is simple, sweet, and a little spunky. [name]Roscoe[/name] has this fun, rough-and-tumble feel, to me, as well as a nice British upper class vibe; it’s growing on me. It sounds (from what I can tell) that both would go beautifully with your last name.

If your family favors trendier names, then good for you for having better taste! I agree with pps that they will get used to the name you choose once the baby is here. Good luck!

[name]Nola[/name] is absolutely darling! And not ‘out there’ at all [name]IMO[/name]. Although I don’t think [name]Roscoe[/name] is ‘out there’ either. I think its a great name! I know someone else on Nameberry has a little [name]Roscoe[/name] and they’ve gotten overwhelming positive feedback according to her posts (sorry, I can’t remember who it is! *). Of course you’ll get nay-sayers, but I think they’re both great.

• [name]Edit[/name]: here’s a link to the post:

I love [name]Nola[/name], but when I hear the name [name]Roscoe[/name], I think of the Dukes of [name]Hazzard[/name] sheriff. I am truly a child of the 80s I guess because that isn’t necessarily a positive association in my mind.

I like both [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name] and would totally go for it if you love these names!

[name]Roscoe[/name] could have nn [name]Ross[/name] if he ever feels like it’s too unusual. I do like the idea of [name]Magnolia[/name] with nn [name]Nola[/name] too.

I second (or third?) the suggestion to not tell people your name before birth - I opened a huge can of worms with my first child and the in-laws, and we have NOT done that since. People are much more blunt about their opinions of your name choices when they think they can change your mind, and it really can end up hurtful in not only the short-term pregnancy hormone haze, but even in the long term (every time I think of my m-in-law’s stating her opinions of our first child’s name I still get upset).

Thanks for all of your thoughts, everyone! I really appreciate it. I have a lot of time to change my mind, but I’m definitely leaning toward those. I can’t wait to meet the baby and see if the name fits. I’m already walking around my apartment saying things like, “[name]Nola[/name], pick up your toys!” just to try them on for size. :slight_smile:

My answer is no, for both of them. [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name] are both really great, bold names that you don’t see often–and isn’t that what everyone is looking for anyway? I wouldn’t worry about your family not loving your name choices. Once the baby is born they will forget all about any reservations they had and love the name because it just fits. I have a really soft spot for [name]Nola[/name]. I think it’s stunning, especially as a nickname for [name]Magnolia[/name].

Today I came across the name Brisco and thought of your post.

Definitel would not name him [name]Roscoe[/name] that could be his nickname and his full name [name]Ross[/name]. [name]Roscoe[/name] is too nicknamey for an adult.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Ross[/name].

[name]Imogen[/name] is totally gorgeous.

[name]Nola[/name] is a No (gives negative vibe) name I would not go with [name]Noah[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Noelene[/name], [name]Noelle[/name], [name]Noel[/name],[name]Naomi[/name], [name]Noa[/name] etc for the same reason. I think we need Yes names ie (positive names) for our kids so I would put [name]Nola[/name] into the shape of [name]Magnolia[/name] which is very pretty.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Ross[/name]

rollo

I love [name]Nola[/name]… so cute! [name]Roscoe[/name] isn’t my style, but it’s a perfectly usable name.

[name]Don[/name]'t worry about your family…they [name]WILL[/name] love it when they meet their grandchild.

My sister named her son [name]Gage[/name] 16 years ago. At that time, it was a pretty uncommon name. My parents HATED it. After [name]Gage[/name] was born, they began to love it because they loved him. Now, they couldn’t imagine him with any other name. They’ll come around.

My subconscious apparently is sold on [name]Nola[/name]. I had a dream last night that I was walking through my house calling, “Where are you? [name]Nola[/name]… Noooo-la?” “Yes-la,” replied a tinkly little girl voice just before I woke up. It was actually kind of a creepy dream, come to think of it, but it was the first baby-dream that I’ve had that didn’t involve a miscarriage, so I’ll take it.

[name]Glad[/name] that you are having happy dreams about your little one. So will it be [name]Nola[/name] or [name]Magnolia[/name]?

This is hilarious and kind of adorable! I love that you dreamed this!