Are Suzette and Joelle ready for a comeback?

See the results of this poll: Are these ready for a comeback?

Respondents: 45 (This poll is closed)

• Suzette : 11 (22%)
  • Joelle : 22 (44%)
  • Nope! Still too dated!: 17 (34%)

I think [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] definitely is. Although it’s out of the top 1000, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to meet a baby [name_f]Joelle[/name_f]. I don’t think it was ever popular enough to be super tied to a single era.

[name_f]Suzette[/name_f] does seem a bit more dated, especially compared to your other daughters’ names, which are very on trend. It wasn’t really significantly more popular than [name_f]Joelle[/name_f], but because it’s a variant of a name that is quite tied to the 1950’s and 60’s ([name_f]Susan[/name_f]) it seems more dated.

I agree that [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] isn’t really tied to any era! I love it. I grew up with a [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] (her sister was [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]–I always thought they had the most beautiful, unusual names!), so it feels familiar yet rare, and definitely timeless. I think another [name_u]Berry[/name_u] on here has an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] (a combo I’ve always super admired!)–I think in her case, it was to honor grandmas [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], or something, but they did a great job naming her, imo. :wink:

[name_f]Suzette[/name_f] does feel more dated to me, and it does sort of stick out against [name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] to me, but I think most [name_f]Suzy[/name_f] names do. I do think, however, that [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] would go absolutely beautifully with [name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], and [name_f]Tess[/name_f]!

I love [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] and it blends beautifully with [name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f]. Personally, [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] just doesn’t work for me. I’m not sure what it is, but I really dislike it.

I really like the nicknames [name_f]Sukie[/name_f], [name_f]Sookie[/name_f] and [name_f]Suzie[/name_f] (even [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f]) for all the Sus/Suz- names, so I think [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] is pretty usable. I don’t think that [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] sounds dated either, but I am not a particular fan.

I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] and I think a lot of people consider all the -ette names dated, but I think you could make it work with a cute, more modern sounding nickname.

[name_f]Joelle[/name_f] sounds a lot fresher than [name_f]Suzette[/name_f], in my opinion. It fits in with all the [name_f]El[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] trend. There’s a little girl from the reality show Dance Moms who goes by [name_u]JoJo[/name_u] and her real name is actually [name_f]Joelle[/name_f].

I don’t think either of them will end up making the list.
They are in the same category as [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], names I want to love but just can’t make work.
We may have to ditch this double letter idea.

[name_f]Suzette[/name_f] is far too dated and although I’m not completely convinced [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] may be okay. But I don’t however like them with your other girls names. Your girls have names that look more classsical and these two names are too dated and don’t fit well

I have to say the same that others said before. [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] is a little bit dated, because of its connection to [name_f]Susan[/name_f]. But [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] is lovely and not dated at all.

[name_f]Joelle[/name_f] is stunning! [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] is cute, kind of reminds me of the crepe [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] thing. Haha.

Other names that could work:

[name_f]Moselle[/name_f] - I love this for some reason, especially with the nickname “Mosey”/"[name_m]Mosie[/name_m]"
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
Brietta
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudelle[/name_f] - I don’t know why, but I really love the sound of this, [name_f]Starla[/name_f] [name_f]Claudelle[/name_f] was a Southern character in a book I once read, so that could be it!
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Idelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Marielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Odelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Roselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Zabelle[/name_f]

I think that both names could be due for a comeback, however I would not classify them as fresh vintage choices.

I’ve never understood the concept of waiting for names to ‘make a comeback’ or ‘be ready for a comeback’. Because the whole comeback thing relies on the idea that names must be considered fashionable to a majority of people before they are permitted to be used - which I wholly disagree with for a number of reasons. Not only that but the comeback thing really makes no sense! Because, at the end of the day, if you don’t bring a name back, then who will? A random celebrity? Or do we all have to wait for a time wherein a majority of society start picking names similar in style, thus making [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] more conventional choices?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] I consider the pair to be fresh choices? No. Because ‘fresh’, at the moment, tends to be classified as lighter, more stereotypically girly choices like [name_f]Lula[/name_f] and [name_f]Edie[/name_f]. [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] and [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] have heavier sounds, so they do not fit my internal definition of fresh. But names don’t need to be fresh, they just need to be properly spelled and, in my opinion, obviously sex-appropriate, so [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] and [name_f]Joelle[/name_f] fit the bill as good choices. And, yes, while they are a bit mid-century, that doesn’t make them bad choices. In fact, it makes them innovative, and charming.

The reality is that names don’t make comebacks unless people use them. So if you do love them, then I would suggest throwing your inhibitions aside and taking the plunge. But that’s just my opinion…