Are there any names that a lot of people seem to love...?

but you just can’t stand?

A lot of people on here (and other name forums I visit) seem to love the name [name]Lydia[/name]. Personally, I don’t understand why. It might be because of this one girl I knew named [name]Lydia[/name], but it still isn’t a pretty name to me.
The same goes for the name [name]Jasper[/name]. It makes me think of [name]Casper[/name]. Haha

What about you? Any names that you despise that everyone else likes?

[name]Pearl[/name]. It sounds like an old lady’s name! Fine for a grandma, but odd for a baby.

[name]Victoria[/name]. Sounds totally prissy. For me, it also is still the name of that queen with the 10 inch high lace collar.

Haha, I happen to love [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], and [name]Casper[/name]. I know what you mean, though-- there are some names I just don’t care for for no particular reason, like…

[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
and more, but I can’t think of them right now

I love [name]Lydia[/name] (yes I know it rhymes with chlamydia) and [name]Jasper[/name] :frowning: . [name]Don[/name]'t worry my feelings aren’t hurt. Seriously if we all loved the same names it would be boring. We should be happy that not everyone loves the same names that we do.

To answer the question -

My taste in everything has changed as I’ve gotten older. I use to dislike “moldy oldies” and “granny” names but they’ve started to grow on me. My taste in names has a lot do with my personal experiences with them. I use to hate the names [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] because I had associated them with people whom I could not stand. Enough time has passed and now both are favorites of mine.

Sorry this is long. I find names that sound like they’ve been drug out of the dusty attic a breath of fresh air. It’s names like [name]Megan[/name], [name]Heather[/name], [name]Amber[/name], [name]Kevin[/name], [name]Connor[/name] ect that leave me feeling stale.

[name]Jane[/name] - I know, everyone here loves it but it just feels so “plain [name]Jane[/name]” to me
[name]Clementine[/name] - again, a nameberry favorite but I can’t lose the oh my darlin’ or fruit associations - I understand it is sometimes prn teen instead of with the long i but I still don’t like it.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - something about the ice ending that grates on me

I agree with pp that it would be boring if we all liked the same names!

I love [name]Lydia[/name]! So much, actually. I know many people seem to know awful [name]Lydia[/name]'s, but I actually only know one. I really like it because it is classic and elegant - to me the association is very [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] (rather than, say, chlamydia).

I don’t like [name]Brendan[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Jacoby[/name], or [name]Elliott[/name]. There are way more but I can’t think of them. I also don’t like “fake” looking names…

:slight_smile: [name]Lauren[/name]

I’m with you about [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]. I just don’t see the appeal. I’m not into [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Killian[/name], [name]Keira[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Cooper[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Landon[/name], [name]Justin[/name], [name]Hayden[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Austin[/name], [name]Brianna[/name], [name]Connor[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], [name]Reagan[/name], [name]Chase[/name], [name]Kayla[/name].

I agree about [name]Lydia[/name] - hate it. I never liked it, but I also associate it with a girl I knew and didn’t like. Another name people like is [name]Teagan[/name], but I loathe it and everything that rhymes with it - [name]Keagan[/name], [name]Megan[/name] (if pronounced meegan), Deagan, etc. It gives me the same feeling as [name]Wayne[/name], [name]Duane[/name], [name]Shane[/name], etc which I also don’t like. I also really dislike the sound of [name]Esme[/name] and can’t believe it’s become so popular suddenly.

Some nameberry favourites have grown on me. [name]Penelope[/name] (now that I think of it with nn [name]Poppy[/name]), [name]Willow[/name], [name]Violet[/name],

Some I have tried to like, but I haven’t quite got there yet (although I think I will). [name]Edith[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Henrietta[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Silas[/name], [name]Tristan[/name].

There are names I used to associate too negatively or felt had a bad sound, which are now considerably improved in my opinion to the point of possible consideration, like [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Alice[/name].

There are names I don’t like, but can perfectly understand, like [name]Matilda[/name] or [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] or [name]Florence[/name].

There are names I like, but don’t like the nicknames everyone likes, like [name]Hattie[/name] or [name]Franky[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name]. [name]Harriet[/name], sorta like, [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] are better. But these nicknames. I don’t find them cute or sweet, they are kind of corny and I don’t like them. If my mom called me [name]Hattie[/name], I feel I would have rather died than go through high school with it.

I don’t know why there’s no boys names I could think of for examples above. Hmmm.

I try to approach names I don’t feel comfortable with, especially when it’s not that popular here now, with an open mind, and see if my initial dislike was biased by something else - being older, a lot of old names still sound old to me (but not all of them), while I also like names from an era that’s not ready to come back yet, even if they are also several generations older than I am.

I think a good name is timeless and being just the right vintage doesn’t make a name just sound really interesting at all to me. A name doesn’t have to be classic to contain classic characteristics to me and like them because they seem inherently likable. I like my own name a lot in this category. I also have some eclectic tastes and don’t expect everyone to be swept away by my revelations, either.

However, I love that we all have individual tastes. Sometimes people just get swayed so much in the excitement - but of course, most of you have done this child-naming business or are deciding right now, with the intense and lovely help of our community. They are helpful, and I can’t get in the minds and tastes of people sometimes, but that’s ok - it’s actually fantastic and harms no one ultimately. [name]Do[/name] you feel warm and fuzzy yet? I do.

Names I’m not sold on and don’t foresee being convinced of:
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
Names that start with [name]Fin[/name] so you can call them [name]Fin[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] - I feel especially conspicuous about this one
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Casper[/name]
[name]Honora[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] - my favorite flower, in fact, but it doesn’t sound like a name choice among flowers.
[name]Calla[/name] - for particularly this, it’s not the worst name, but I think of [name]Callahan[/name] or calamine lotion. It’s really, really close to [name]Kayla[/name] if you think about it.

So, don’t beat me up, ok?

We have to keep remembering that we are all individuals with our own taste. It would be a pretty boring site if, heaven forbid, we all loved exactly the same names - all our kids would be called the same for one thing!

[name]Just[/name] as my favourite names change over time, so do the names that fall out of favour with me. Some ([name]Algernon[/name], [name]Percy[/name], [name]Horace[/name]) have always been there and I can’t see it changing much. Lots of names ending with “ISS” are on my list of not-very-fond-of - eg. [name]Eunice[/name], [name]Doris[/name]. (yet, saying that, I love [name]Iris[/name]).

I am not all that fond of [name]Phoebe[/name] or [name]Daphne[/name] or [name]Chloe[/name], but I don’t want to upset or offend anyone because I know it can be a bit hurtful (my daughter’s name [name]Heather[/name] has already come up on someone’s list). I have never really been attracted to the name [name]Sophie[/name] either, or [name]Beatrice[/name], or [name]Eugenie[/name].

xxx

I only have one and I don’t hate it but I have very good reasons to being strongly opposed to it.

[name]KAI[/name].

I will now explain why. I live in New Zealand, a tiny little country next to Australia in the southern hemisphere. In New Zealand we speak two languages, English and Maori. If a child was called [name]Kai[/name] in New Zealand people would eat it. No joke. [name]Kai[/name] is the Maori word for FOOD. Calling a child [name]Kai[/name] is just the same thing as calling them food. Not like a cute food name that people use like [name]Apple[/name] or [name]Plum[/name], it is calling them meat or vegetables.

I know that [name]Kai[/name] is an ‘international name’ because it means things in Japanese and other languages but to me if people are going to use a name from a foreign language they should look up what it means in ALL languages. I feel very very sorry for any Kais who are going to visit NZ in the future and really any little Kais in general.

I can understand though that it sounds nice and is exotic but I think parents need to do their research before they give their children a name that they will have to live with for life.

To add - Names from my own generation, like [name]Heather[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name] ect are names that I find myself not particularly found of. I don’t really think it’s the name itself but rather the fact that I’ve heard them myself so many times growing up that feel “worn out” to me. These are names however that I can see both of my girls really loving because neither have known anyone with these names.