Are there any names you prefer the "wrong" pronounciation for?

Are there any names you like the “wrong” pronounciation more?

For a long time I pronounced Dylan and Ulysses I as Dey-lan and U-ley-sses. I like their proper pronounciations too but still like mine a little more :grin: I wondered if anyone else had names like that.

a name i used to have on my list, franceska, i had pronounced as fran-se-ska !

i didn’t realise it was fran-che-ska, but i kinda like my initial pronunciation more :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

elouise - i understand that it’s an alternate spelling of eloise, and is pronounced the same, but i like to say it like eh-loo-EEZ which i find so pretty

1 Like

[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]! I know that it’s ma-TEEL (which I also really like), but I love pronouncing it like Ma-TEEL-ah… I know that [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] could do the trick there, but I just love the way [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] looks.

1 Like

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]. For some reason I got it into my head that it was ‘aw-RAY-lius’. Same goes for [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. and I know that it’s wrong, but I far prefer the ‘RAY’ to the correct ‘reel’ and ‘rell’ sound.

2 Likes

is that not… the way eloise is pronounced ??

i actually have a few of these !! mostly just me preferring the horribly anglicised pronunciation of names :pensive:

anaïs as ah-NAY-iss
aurelia as aw-RAY-lee-uh
eulalia as yoo-LAY-lee-uh
giada as jee-AH-duh

3 Likes

I PN [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] RAY too! And [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] as Au-RAY-lee-oh! runs off to listen to pronunciations

3 Likes

boheme as bo-heem and bryony as bree-uh-nee :sparkles:

4 Likes

i say wilder as will-der rather than wild-er (like wilderness) and i much prefer that pronunciation to the ‘correct’ one but i’m not sure if thats just me, or if more people from the uk also pronounce it like that…

4 Likes

I like [name_u]Idris[/name_u] as Eye-driss (Id-riss is good too!)

3 Likes

[name_f]Nuala[/name_f] as noo-UH-luh instead of NOO-luh

2 Likes

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] as “lou-EECE-uh” with an ‘s’ sound (rather than “lou-EEZ-uh” with a ‘z’ sound) is my favorite pronunciation! I don’t know that it’s necessarily wrong, but I have been made aware that it’s less common.

Also [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]! I think I’ve heard that “YOU-jen-nee” is the more common pronunciation, but I much prefer the alternate “you-ZJAY-nee” version.

2 Likes

Is that not how they are said?? Is my life a lie? :joy:

3 Likes

I was considering [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] for a son until I figured out the rest of the world says ee-var and I say eye-var.

2 Likes

[name_f]Aoife[/name_f] - i just like saying Ay-oh-fee

[name_f]Eira[/name_f] - I prefer Eye-ra to Ay-ra

[name_f]Brigitte[/name_f] - Bri-jeet - it’s the french pronunciation but I believe most would say Brih-jet

[name_m]Thom[/name_m] - this was a character in a book who i later learned is called [name_m]Tom[/name_m], and not Th-om with the TH sound, i find my pronunciation more interesting

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] - Bass-tee-en, not sure why I just like it that way though I pronounce [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] as Bass-chen like the ending of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

2 Likes

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] as vye-lah. (Rhyme with skylar) instead of the more popular three syllable pronunciations.

1 Like

tbh i pronounce orlaith & niamh the proper ways (or-la & neev) but i also like saying them how they’re spelt, so like or-lay-th & ni-am-h lmaoaoa

and another one is eira. i much prefer air-a to eye-ra

2 Likes

ELL-oh-wen is softer, more intuitive, and easier to say than ell-OH-wen which, I admit, has grown on me but I still think the first is so intuitive to an American that it would be hard to use otherwise

4 Likes

For the longest time, I wondered whether [name_f]Decima[/name_f] was pronounced Deh-SEE-ma or DES-see-ma. Turns out, it’s neither. It’s DECK-ee-ma. :disappointed:
I still think the ones I came up with are much prettier.

2 Likes

Whilst ‘Orla’ is super lovely, I really like the sound of Or-LAYTH for [name_f]Orlaith[/name_f]. Also I much prefer Thee-oh-DOSE-ee-uh to Thee-oh-DOGE-uh for [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f].

1 Like