Are there any names you prefer the "wrong" pronounciation for?

i was heartbroken when i realised lorelai was pronounced lor-el-EYE rather than lor-el-AY!

2 Likes

[name_f]Ione[/name_f]. I like eye-own but correct is ee oh nee. Still nice though!

1 Like

wait this is how it’s pronounced??
i knew a girl named mathilde and she pronounced it ma-TILD with the short i and d sound at the end so that’s how i’ve been saying it in my head…kinda like that better tbh lol

3 Likes

wait how is boheme pronounced then :sob:

2 Likes

bo-em (with a short e)

1 Like

@aiksx though the spanish-portuguese version is francisca with the I instead of E, franceska would definitelly be pronounced like you like for folks outside of italy, so you could get away with it, maybe?

@Wandarine @mololy i was today years old :sob: rip nuala and eira to me

my big one is isaiah - i don’t like eye-ZAY-uh :frowning_face:, i had first thought it was EYE-zye-uh (zye rhyming with eye) and was very sad to learn otherwise

3 Likes

I prefer Thea pronounced thay-ah and Osiris pronounced oh-SEE-rus. Not sure if these are wrong or just less common.

1 Like

I used to mispronounced [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] as fil-EE-puh instead of Philip-uh, which I had grown attached to before I learned.

2 Likes

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f], the first time I saw it my head pronounced it as Sir-widen. And I’m trying to undo it because it’s not even close to correct lol. :blush:

1 Like

Dahlia…not exactly the wrong pronunciation but the wrong one for the U.K…here we say day-lee-uh but I prefer the duh-lee-uh and dar-lee-uh pronunciations

In the U.K. we pronounce [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] as eye-zy-uh!!

oh…

1 Like

I much prefer the Americanized TAH-lee-yah over THAL-ee-ah for [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]. I know there’s [name_f]Talia[/name_f] but the Th just looks so much better to me :sob:

On the other hand, I prefer the British pronunciation of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (Clar-ah / ar like ‘are’) over the Americanized Claire-ah, and admittedly I’m not sure which one is “right” or if it’s just an accent thing, but the British version is the version I adore and I will fight anybody who says Claire-ah lmao

I love [name_f]Viola[/name_f] pronounced ‘VYE-oh-la’

2 Likes

i know… that was my thought too

oh but im moving right now yeeess

Ciara. A lot of people like like see-AHR-ah is an atrocious pronunciation for it, but I don’t care much for KEER-ah. If that’s the case I would just use Kira.

Oh, and another name that I love but forgot - Ines. I pronounce it as eye-NESS. But I see the proper French pronunciation is ee-NESS. So Inés I love, but I can’t help but love it the way I pronounce it.

I prefer [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as “lay-nuh”. I would use [name_f]Lina[/name_f] if I wanted this pronunciation!

2 Likes

THIS!! [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is always lay-nuh to me. every [name_f]Lena[/name_f] i’ve met pronounced it that way and if you want the lee-nuh pronunciation [name_f]Lina[/name_f] is right there like :sweat_smile: also there is nothing in [name_f]Lena[/name_f] that makes the e make the long ee sound :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m].

I know the Greek pronunciation for this godly name…and I refuse to use it. :sob:

[name_m]Giovanni[/name_m]. I know it’s JO vahn e, but let’s face it, how many American Giovanni’s say it that way? I prefer the spelling [name_m]Jovani[/name_m] as an American, even as one with latino cultural ties lol. [name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m] I’ve met says gee oh vahn e, so I intuitively read it that way.