Are these made-up names?

Wanting some opinions on whether the girls’ names Auren and Laureline are / sound like made-up names?

I like the sound and feel of both of them but don’t want to forever be correcting people on spelling or pronunciation.

I am attracted to names with the au sound in them if you have any other suggestions!

Thanks x

I’ve never heard of either of them, but of the two I like Laureline.

I have never heard of either, but also prefer Laureline to Auren.

I quite like both – I’d assume Auren was an alternate spelling for [name_m]Oren[/name_m], and Laureline a variation on [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]/[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. Neither are really “made up”.

Truthfully most names, even those we consider “invented” have their roots in names with histories, and beyond that, every name was made up at some point. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you make up a name by combining sounds, if it comes out sounding good and you like it, I always say use it. I like to see what people come up with – I’m not creative in that way!

Maybe because of [name_m]Oren[/name_m] and [name_u]Auden[/name_u], Auren sounds masculine to me. I might think Laureline was a made-up version of [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] or someone was using the popular ending of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and invented a new, smooshed name, but I wouldn’t think it was a bad thing because it sounds lovely.

I like them both but Laureline is my favorite. I just recently heard it and now I’m in love!!!

Auren sounds more “made-up” to me. I associate Laureline with the comic book series, [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] and Laureline. In fact, [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] and Laureline (pronounced Lor-uh-leen in the series) is being made into a feature film.

Thanks everyone, it seems Laureline is far more liked in the replies than Auren. It may rise in popularity with the film coming out!