Are these name meanings drawbacks? Girl names for Clara's sister

We are expecting girl #2 in the spring!
We’ve been slowly gathering a list. However, on several of our favorite names, we have hangups.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]: [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s favorite, however he’s very disappointed that it means “Gift of Isis” the Egyptian goddess. We’re people off faith so that’s the reason for the turnoff. However, I’m not sure that anyone would ever ask or care. He’ll just have to decide if it bugs him too much.
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]: could be a good replacement, “gift of God,” but he doesn’t love the sound as much.
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]: One of my top favorites right now. However, our first daughter’s name is [name_f]Clara[/name_f], so this would give us the very peculiar theme of naming our daughters after Tchaikovsky ballet protangonists from Nutcracker and [name_u]Swan[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] :joy: If you were introduced to two sisters named [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f], would you immediately think of this?
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]: I think this is the most beautiful-sounding name, but I’m hesitant about the meaning. It’s a place-name, a Ukrainian city originally named by a Russian ruler. Given current events, I don’t know about naming a child this when there is a war going on. Does this seem distasteful to anyone else, or just me?

Our style is that we like names to be pretty timeless (no Oakleighs or Jaxsyns here) We like girls names that are feminine but have some stronger consonant — d,b,g, hard c, etc. Like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], Magdelen, [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]

What do you think about the name meanings, and what do you do when you love the sound but not the meaning? Any other ideas for us?

2 Likes

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are perfect together. A good majority of folks will not get the connection

I also adore [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] & [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d find sisters [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] very charming. It would make me think of Tchaikovsky, yes, but that’s a good association.

[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] doesn’t seem distasteful to me. A bit odd, maybe. In addition to the city, it also makes me think of [name_u]Odysseus[/name_u].

1 Like

It would make me think of Tchaikovsky, yes, but that’s a good association.

yes — at least it’s an association to beloved beautiful music & dancing!

A bit odd, maybe. In addition to the city, it also makes me think of Odysseus.

good to know. I read the Odyssey in high school and hated it, lol. Even without the war, it’s super random for us as we’re not Ukrainian, have never been there, have no connection.

Isadora is a funny one - most names that start Is- are variants of Elizabeth which of course means ‘god is my oath’ but Isadora has that Egyptian derivation instead. So really, you could assign it the Elizabeth meaning in your minds if you prefer :eyes: and I’m certain not many people would know about the Isis meaning without looking it up. I think it’s a beautiful name :smiling_face:

Theodora is also very pretty!

I would associate Clara and Odette with the ballet, yes, definitely.

Afraid I have to agree. It feels off to me.

2 Likes

I like the way you think lol

1 Like

I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are lovely together. There will be people who think of ballet but I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all I actually think it’s a very good association.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is very pretty. People probably won’t know the meaning unless they look it up so I wouldn’t let that affect your opinion on the name.

[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] is pretty to. I don’t think it’s distasteful.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are so perfect together :pleading_face: I don’t think the association should be a dealbreaker.

I love [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] but she feels like a lot next to [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] is ok but I prefer [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

I knew an [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] once and honestly loved it on her. It is quite a heavy name to bear though.

These suggestions give me the same vibes…

[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] (same origins as [name_f]Odette[/name_f] I believe)
[name_f]Ines[/name_f] or [name_f]Inez[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] / [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Odette[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] are lovely.

I don’t think the ballet connection is a big deal, personally. Lots of girls love ballet so it’s certainly not a bad thing.

I like [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]. Most people aren’t going to know about the meaning, plus the name has been used by Christians for millennia at this point. To me the meaning is more of a historical curiosity rather than a statement of faith. Like Dennis/Denise deriving from the name of the Greek god [name_m]Dionysus[/name_m].

I remember liking [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] a few years ago but the current situation makes me hesitant to recommend it now.

If you like [name_f]Odessa[/name_f], maybe you’d like [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f].

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is very pretty, and, even with lots of Nameberry experience, I didn’t know that was the meaning.

Additionally, names from the Greeks have been used by Christians with no one commenting, like [name_f]Diana[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u], I know a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family who named a child 0d1n S@mue1. That’s one I would have thought twice about, personally.

But, the point is, I think [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] will be fine. You could think of it as “Is a Gift.” Plus, isn’t there a [name_u]Saint[/name_u] [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]?

Alternatively, there’s [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] (maybe too soft for your taste, but does flow with [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. Could do a double name, like [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

1 Like

I personally would disregard “gift of Isis” if you love the name and look at the meanings of Isabel (Spanish, pledged to God) and Dora (Greek, gift) and think of the name as meaning gift from god. The same as Theodora.

You will find the right one!

3 Likes

I have the same issue with [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] as you do.

From your list my favourite is [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] meaning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also! [name_f]My[/name_f] neice is [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and my daughter is [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and I have always thought they sounded so cute together. [name_u]Light[/name_u] and life!

2 Likes

I’ve seen both ballets but wouldn’t have gotten the connection. How about [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f]?

2 Likes

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] are both lovely!

[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are not my style. However, I can only see the [name_f]Odette[/name_f] connection to [name_f]Clara[/name_f] being an issue if you were to have another girl and feel compelled to continue the pattern.

1 Like

clara and odette is so darling! like others have said, it’s a good and subtle association! my second choice is odessa but with current events i understand your hesitation…

1 Like

Another fan for [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f]!

1 Like

I like all these names, particularly [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f].

No offense, but I do not look at meanings of names.

I’m not biased against varied religions or countries, so none of these meanings would bother me.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] (but spelled differently) was the name of a few Saints—I don’t know if that makes things better or worse for you.

We didn’t like the name meaning for our second daughter, [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] (alluring temptress) so we gave her a middle name with the specific purpose of balancing it out. We landed on [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], which means compassionate friend. We also liked the reference to the story of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] in the Bible. I wouldn’t have selected [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] as a name for one of my daughters if it had not been for the meaning. If honoring your faith is important to you, you could pick a name that centers on that. [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] is pretty! That’s my oldest’s name. It means [name_m]God[/name_m] pledged His grace. I also like
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f],
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (bearer of good news),
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f],
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (gift of God),
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] (birthday of the Lord),
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] (Christmas),
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f],
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_f]Lois[/name_f] (2 [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] 1).
All of your options are beautiful, you can’t go wrong!

I’ve always thought of [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] as the feminine form of [name_u]Odysseus[/name_u], which is what I thought it was. I could be wrong, but many names do have multiple meaning and origins. I’m a fan of Greek Mythology, and I love [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]. It also gives Western, Cowgirl vibes like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] does to me, which I think is cute. I wouldn’t immediately think of Nutcracker or [name_u]Swan[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] if I was introduced to siblings named [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] pairs perfectly with either [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] or [name_f]Odette[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], if the meaning of the name doesn’t bother you. These are all great names!