Are these name meanings drawbacks? Girl names for Clara's sister

I came back to say, [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] is also Greek in origin, and is the feminine form of [name_u]Odysseus[/name_u] as I thought it was (I looked it up), if that changes anything for you. It means Wrathful, though, so if name meanings are important it still may not be the best choice for you.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are cute together. I would have made that connection but not thought any more on it.

I’m not bothered by the meaning of [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], but if it bothers your husband enough, it might not be right. Same with [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]. Beauitful name but if you’re uncomfortable on it, I’d skip it.

Some other ideas…

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

I immediately made the association betwen [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f], anyway is really charming and fascinating to me.
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] are also a perfect choice in my opinion.

No offense taken! That’s what I’m hoping to know, since here on Nameberry the meaning is right in front of you as soon as you click on a name, whereas in real life you don’t go around wondering what names mean (at least I don’t.) I think for me, a nice meaning can be the cherry on the sundae if you already love a name, or on the other hand, something you just put aside and disregard if it doesn’t resonate with you. A little like tattoos perhaps, some are deeply symbolic and special whereas others are “I just liked it!.”

Also I hope my post doesn’t express bias against Ukraine! If anything the opposite, I don’t want to flippantly reference a location where so much suffering is going on if it’s not personally meaningful to me.

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Josette[/name_f]! It’s been floating around my longer lists… somehow it’s both elegant and cute.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s really good to know!

1 Like

I love your suggestion of giving some meaning for the middle name if we go with a first name with a non-resonant meaning. These are great ideas, thank you!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f]

[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Jetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]
[name_f]Eudora[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Jordana[/name_f]
[name_f]Vada[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alette[/name_f]
[name_f]Mindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]

1 Like

I don’t think many people will know the meanings of names so I wouldn’t let that be a determining factor unless it is extremely bothersome

I think all of those names are beautiful! Knowing your older daughter is [name_f]Clara[/name_f] I am inclined to pair [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] !

I didn’t know the meaning of [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and I’ve been a [name_u]Berry[/name_u] for a long time! [name_f]My[/name_f] first and only real association with the name is [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]. [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f], and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] would be a sweet dancing trio!

1 Like

We seem to have a similar style. I adore the sounds of [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]. I’m right with your husband. When I found out the meaning of [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] it was completely off the table for us for religious reasons. I love the name Lithodora which is an obscure flower name.

I don’t think there is a problem with [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] because [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] the Great was married into the Russian royal family but was actually of [name_m]German[/name_m] descent. Also many native Ukrainians would speak Russian and have Russian names. Much of Eastern Europe shares similar dialects, food and culture.

[name_f]Odette[/name_f] to me makes so much sense stylistically with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and if anyone made the association between the names I think it’s a positive one, but I don’t think many people would. I’ll also suggest some names around the criterias you mentioned

[name_f]Devora[/name_f] (Deh-vor-uh) nn [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or [name_f]Dora[/name_f] Hebrew for [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]

[name_f]Oksana[/name_f] (adore this for you but would be Ukrainian, so possibly same problem as Odessa?)

[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Theresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tziporah[/name_f]
[name_f]Terra[/name_f]

Had to add a few more since I really love your post.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (Maude)
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (Maggie)
[name_f]Mariel[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] / [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

And of course just [name_f]Dora[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]

1 Like

Oh yes, a dancing theme with all 3! Didn’t even put that together. :stuck_out_tongue: you’re right, that’s more than likely most peoples’ 1st thought when they hear [name_f]Isadora[/name_f].

Wow I love this list. You nailed the vibe, and also included some the stretch our comfort zone a little, which is great. Especially love [name_f]Della[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

Thank you for sharing! Did you have a daughter and what did you name her? I’m curious :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not a fan of [name_f]Odette[/name_f] personally, I think it’s the O that just doesn’t feel as pretty as [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. By the way, which pronunciation are you using for [name_f]Clara[/name_f]? (Clair-uh or Cluh-ruh?)

Now, onto suggestions…
What about [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]? The Scottish spelling gives it more of a strength than [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] / [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f].
If he doesn’t like [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], then what about [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]? Same letters, same meaning.
Also, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] seems to fit your guidelines as well.
I second [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], too - they’re both very beautiful. Good luck! :heart:

It’s Clair-ruh with a long A - it was the only pronunciation I had heard but a cousin also asked if it was Clah-ruh. So I guess there’s a few variations!
Idk I’ve been digging the O names lately - kind of niche for sure.
I def think some of those are solid contenders, esp [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f].

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know the [name_f]Clara[/name_f] pronunciation, it definitely varies by region and country. Where I am, it’s exclusively pronounced Cluh-ruh which I don’t like as much as the Clair-uh pronunciation.
I knew an [name_f]Odette[/name_f] and while she was nice enough, she’s the only thing I can ever associate the name with (so it’s more of a personal matter on my end) and she definitely does not bring to mind the vibes that you’re looking for.
Some O names are quite pretty!
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] are also really nice, feminine and classy with the G sound in the middle like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but more wearable for a girl today.
But yes, I do think that [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] could be nice!

I really love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Odette[/name_f] together. Maybe:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Dessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Odile[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Myra[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Lissie[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Freya[/name_f]