Are these names "serious" enough?

[name]Hi[/name] all,
I’m due in [name]October[/name] and despite being a bit name-obsessed for the last few years, now that it comes down to naming an actual human, I’m struggling.
My three year old daughter is [name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name], what I’ve had in my head and my heart since I was a teenager. Unfortunately, it was my favorite for so long that everything else pales in comparison to me.
Our naming tradition is to give each child his or her own first name, and then a middle name from the family (or a modified version of a family name). I kind of like the idea of your family having your back, but you get to be your own person first. [name]Estella[/name] is middle-named after my sister [name]Marielle[/name] (originally planned on calling her [name]Ella[/name], so [name]Ella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] was closer to [name]Marielle[/name] than [name]Estella[/name] ended up being, but what can you do?)
Anyway, if I have another girl, my frontrunners are:
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (after my mother [name]Kathleen[/name]; bonus that we get two E names, which I kind of like because my sister and I are bo)
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (as above, clearly; bonus that my mother-in-law is Greek, so [name]Penelope[/name] is a nice connection, minus that it’s a bit popular)
[name]June[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] (after my father [name]Francis[/name])

Last name sounds like Grello.

All that blabbering leads up to my question: are these names “serious” enough? I read that you should be able to picture your child as a supreme court justice with their name, and I’m not sure that these would work (then again, does [name]Estella[/name]? I’m not sure). It’s sometimes difficult to remember that a baby name is also an adult name.

Thanks!

[name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is a beautiful name. It will lend itself very well to a child, and as she grows it will be a name she won’t cringe at when she’s typing up her resume. [name]Don[/name]'t over-think it; you’ve got a winner right in front of you. :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of the name [name]Kate[/name] as a formal name. It’s a nickname to me, not something I want to see on a resume. However, the first names are very nice and hold up well on their own.

I think the name you’ve chosen are very lovely! And perfectly serious enough.

Personally, I can’t see any name but “[name]Maude[/name]” or “[name]Victoria[/name]” or “[name]Catherine[/name]” serious enough for a Supreme [name]Court[/name] [name]Justice[/name] (and those are just too serious for me). I try a different trick to decide on a name. If you don’t feel ridiculous giving the cashier at Starbucks the name you’ve chosen for your little one to write on your coffee cup as your own name, then I think it’s a name that’ll work. (Did that make sense? I think I turned that into a tongue twister.)

Most names will sound ridiculous on a president or a judge. My name is [name]Olivia[/name] and it sounds a bit prissy for president. But everyone seems to love it! So that “imagine the name on a judge” is just too silly for me.

Beautiful choices!

From the two you have, I think either of those could certainly work on a Supreme [name]Court[/name] justice (although like livytoo I use a less judicial way of deciding what’s usable). I would not use [name]Eloise[/name] with [name]Estella[/name], though. I know of several little [name]Eloise[/name]'s called [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name], which could also be a nickname for [name]Estella[/name]. [name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is GORGEOUS, by the way!

I like [name]June[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] (or [name]Francesca[/name] [name]June[/name]!) the best for you. [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] both have that [name]EL[/name]- syllable that I find a bit matchy with [name]Estella[/name]. And with a last name that sounds like Grello it’s a lot of [name]El[/name]-. [name]Just[/name] my opinion! :slight_smile: Good luck!

A follow up question on [name]June[/name]. Is it weird that she would be born in [name]October[/name]?

[name]Penelope[/name] is great, and how about [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Kate[/name]? She could have the nn [name]Frankie[/name] when she’s little, and then [name]Francesca[/name] is plenty ‘serious’ for any adult woman. You really don’t have a bad one on the list. :slight_smile:

A [name]June[/name] in [name]October[/name] is fine (otherwise there would be a lot fewer [name]May[/name]'s out there).

I think that your names are fine for a supreme court justice. I think that this just refers to having a formal name (ie [name]Ellie[/name]-no, [name]Eloise[/name]-yes, [name]Penny[/name] - no, [name]Penelope[/name] - yes, [name]Junie[/name] - no, [name]June[/name] - yes) that’s how I see it anyway. As to ‘most’ names being silly on a judge, I think there is a difference between infantile and feminine. It is a mistake to think that any feminine name wouldn’t work on a president (and pretty sexist to boot). I do think though that a childish name wouldn’t work (think [name]Georgie[/name] [name]Washington[/name] as opposed to [name]George[/name] or [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Washington[/name] for eg) for a male or female the less formal name sounds a bit off in my opinion.

As for your names I like all of them :slight_smile:

I did wonder though that all of your choices (including your first child) are names from your family - is there anyone on the other side with a great name?

Good luck

Yes, if it’s a boy it’ll be [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] after my father in law and his father.

With regard to the supreme court criteria, perhaps my biggest issue is with [name]Eloise[/name], and that just may be due to the little resident at the Plaza.

[name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is so pretty! I think all your choices work really well and are quite serious enough! I used to have a professor named [name]Eloise[/name] so I can definitely see it on a grown woman and a professional. I think [name]Estella[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] are lovely together! I love [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]June[/name], though, too. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is really handsome, and I think [name]Estella[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] work together really well.

Good luck!

[name]June[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] is my favorite of your list…month of birth doesn’t matter imo & the name is just gorgeous and not overly childish, so it’s serious I guess.

I absolutely love all of your choices! I think they’re all “serious” enough. I think [name]June[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] would have to be my favorite, but [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Kate[/name] is also gorgeous, and I like [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] as well! [name]Man[/name], that was hard to choose, they’re all SO lovely!

I agree with this. [name]Just[/name] pick the name you love.

I do agree with you about putting [name]Kate[/name] on a birth certificate, but my mother’s full name, [name]Kathleen[/name], seemed too long to go with [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name]. [name]Both[/name] combinations would yield a 3-2-2 syllable name. I thought the rhythm of 3-1-2 was a bit better.

I think they are definitely serious enough! I like them too. Best of luck~

[name]Francesca[/name] [name]June[/name] would be fabulous and sounds great with [name]Estella[/name]. I am not a fan of [name]June[/name] as a first name and it really pales in comparison to [name]Estella[/name]. [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] are also both lovely, but Fracesca seems to match up better.

[name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]? Definitely serious enough, no question about it. So is [name]Estella[/name]. I can picture any of them on a child or a grownup and they definiltely pass the “Supreme [name]Court[/name] test.”

I love [name]Eloise[/name] the most and think it sounds fantastic with [name]Estella[/name] but [name]Kate[/name] seems too short and incomplete with [name]Eloise[/name].
Possibly [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]? [name]Penelope[/name] has never seemed like a serious enough, adult name to me. [name]June[/name] is a lovely name and could definitely work on the right person.

I think both [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] are very awesome, spunky, cute and beautiful names ALTHOUGH the fact you and your sister are both E’s is kind of cute but what if baby three comes along and a good E name cannot be found will the 3rd baby feel left out? :confused: something to consider!

[name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is very pretty. I have a [name]Zo[/name]ë [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. I think [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Kate[/name] is gorgeous. [name]Eloise[/name] is a great adult or kid name and [name]Lola[/name], [name]Lulu[/name]/Loulu, [name]Elle[/name] and several others work if you wanted a younger child’s name.

I think they are perfectly grown up and very lady like, so yes, I would say they are definitely serious names. My favorite is [name]June[/name] [name]Francesca[/name].