Are these too similar?

[name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Rose[/name].

For twins or just sisters?

To similar in sound and feel, or cute?

[name]Just[/name] to clarify, I’m from [name]Scotland[/name] and so the starting sounds of [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] sound different. OW and OH.

My twins are going to be called [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Eilidh[/name] but I was debating this with DH and best friend and was interested to know what you thought.

[name]TIA[/name]

[name]Ellie[/name]

They are more similar in sound in American pronunciation where both are roe, but even with the row/roe difference, with [name]Rose[/name] I would think that [name]Rowan[/name] was a boy. They’re a little too cutesy as sibling names I think.

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Just[/name] to clarify your pronunciation of [name]Rowan[/name], you say it as in “ouch”, with an OW sound? And [name]Rose[/name] is with the traditional “oh” sound, yes? Okay…

[name]Do[/name] I think [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are too similar for twins or sisters, or a sister and brother? Yes. Maybe it is because I am a twin, but the fact that they not only begin with the same letter ®, but the same letter sequence ([name]Ro[/name]-), bothers me. Also, both names are nature names, in different senses - a tree and a flower - but still they fit a theme. Now, I don’t have any problem with themed names to an extent, but I’d at least match them stylistically ([name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Rose[/name]) and give each sibling a different initial, personally.

Also, I think [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are too different to work to their best. [name]Rowan[/name] is more of the modern set of names, with its unisex image and playful, soft sound. I think you’d get confusion as to whether you had boy-girl twins or girl-girl twins, for sure, at least in [name]America[/name]. [name]Rowan[/name] isn’t quite popular, nor would I call it trendy (definitely not tryndeigh, for sure!) - but, because [name]Rowan[/name] fits in with the theme of nature names, it could be considered “on trend,” if not actually trendy. [name]Rose[/name], on the other hand, is a classic, timeless, elegant name, a girl’s name through and through. It’s an unexpected choice as a first name nowadays (as is [name]Anne[/name]) simply because of its recent popularity as a middle name. [name]Rose[/name] is neither popular nor trendy, yet it does fit in with the revival of vintage nature names like [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Violet[/name].

In short, I wouldn’t personally put [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] together for siblings, but I do like each name separately very much!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I really think they are to close.

Thanks for the replies!
I guess DH wins on this one, who’d have thought he’d have better taste than me!

I still have a soft spot for them but not to use now anyway.