Are these too similar?

I’m about halfway through writing this particular piece, and I realized that there is a pretty big problem where names are much too similar.

The protagonist, [name_f]Raina[/name_f], has a twin sister named [name_f]TALIA[/name_f] and a love interest named [name_u]TRISTAN[/name_u]. Are the names [name_f]Talia[/name_f] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], in such close proximity to one another for most of the story, too similar and confused?

Neither of them use nicknames, they are different genders, and they have very different personalities. However, they will frequently be “seen” in the same room/referenced frequently throughout the story.

I’ve been writing both of them for a while, and, while I wouldn’t mind changing the names, I’d really prefer not to. But with both of them such major characters for most of the story, I really don’t know if it would be too confusing.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the names are too similar and can be confused too easily, or could I get by with using them?

I don’t think [name_f]Talia[/name_f] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] are that big of an issue. The only real similarity is they both start with “T”, so I think you’ll be okay.

I think it would be an issue if her name also started with “[name_m]Tri[/name_m]” or his name started with “Ta” (like [name_f]Trista[/name_f] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] or [name_m]Tad[/name_m] and [name_f]Talia[/name_f]). But as is, it’s fine.

I don’t think they are similar, they do begin with T yes but sounds are different enough to distinguish. If you are worried, what about changing [name_f]Talia[/name_f] to [name_f]Alia[/name_f]?

I think it works well, they’re not too similar!