Are these twins names too similar?

I have always disliked twins names that are too matchy, especially if they rhyme (no offence to anyone). But now I’m having twin boys and the only names that I really love both start with the same letter.

They are: [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m].
They don’t rhyme and have a different number of syllables but I’m still worried about them being too similar and I would like an opinion. :slight_smile:

I don’t have middle names planned yet but I’m pretty set on [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] for one and I doubt the other would be similar.

I already have a [name_u]Seth[/name_u] and [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and I just can’t seem to think of any other names that I really love.

I wouldn’t use them, but I guess it depends if you call [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] or use his full name. I don’t like it when twin names have the same first and last letter, and although they may not seem similar I think there could be potential confusion between them for people who don’t know them well.
Sorry, they’re just not really my style but I would be curious to know if you would use any nicknames!

Thanks for your opinion peachyowl :slight_smile:

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that they both start with the same letter. Heck, now that I think about I even muck up people’s names that have similar sounds when they’re not even related. I can’t imagine the amount of times that I could possibly mix up [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m].

So I’m certain now that I won’t have alliterating names. I am definitely set on [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and I probably will use the nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u].

Now I just need a different second name. I would love opinions from anyone. I just noticed [name_m]Felix[/name_m] on another forum and it’s growing on me :slight_smile:

I’d steer away from siblings having the same initials, twins or not. Growing up I knew a family where the mum and dad had the same initial - let’s call them [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Helen[/name_f] - and thought it would be a great idea to give their three girls names beginning with H. The problem was, when post arrived for Miss H. Surname, none of the girls knew who it was for. They absolutely hated their matching names; one made everyone call her by her middle name and I think has now officially changed her name.

I agree that both are great names and go really well with your existing sons’ names, but I’d recommend you pick the one you like most and find a different name for the other twin. If you like [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] as a MN, why not use it as a FN for the other twin?

You could use [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]… I know [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m] has a slightly different feeling than [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], but I’ll just make the suggestion anyway :slight_smile:

What about…

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps a little…good luck!!

I would stay away from [name_m]Oskar[/name_m], because it starts with the same letter, as well as it not sounding like a soft name with both [name_u]Seth[/name_u] & [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]. He would end up liking his name the least, lol.

I would recommend a name that does not sound similar to any of them.

Same as the previous post, I do like [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. Here are some other suggestions that I think pair well considering all 4 together:

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m] (my sons name)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

I actually really like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m].

You could use [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] for one twin’s middle name. I don’t know if you thought of that already. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]?

I actually don’t think they are bad together. Obviously, they start with the same letter, and the first syllable is the same. But I know twins who have had way “worse” matching names and they turned out just fine. They are both good, classic, solid name choices that will give them both their own identity. If they are the only names you can agree on I think they are fine! And both very handsome.

They work wonderfully and aren’t too similar at all! [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] on the other hand, would be way too much.

I’m just going to say, based on another person’s suggestion, that [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] are the names of the main characters in an old comedic tv show/movie called The Odd Couple. I like the combo, but it was the first thing I thought of reading them together.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you moved away from [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]
Not sure if it would bother you [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] have very strong cat connections for me ‘[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and Company’ and the brand ‘[name_m]Felix[/name_m]’ - together the link feels very strong. plus I’m not sure if [name_m]Felix[/name_m] fits with your other children.
Some other ideas
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] - love this! subtle link with the V
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]

Yes,as suggested by tilelli, [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] names sounding good.

Also check out the below names for your second one:
Otniel
[name_m]Oren[/name_m]
[name_m]Omer[/name_m]

I do like [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m] as an alternative to [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

I’m having problems coming up with names for our twin boys. I know some twins [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], which I think a lovely combo. [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is gentler than [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and seems to go better with your other kids’ names. I actually think your original pair would be fine too.

They’re pretty similar. I wouldn’t use them, but I also wouldn’t go as far as to say they rhyme. They don’t, really. Meh. :expressionless:

They definitely have similar sounds, but it depends how much the matchy name thing bothers you.

I have heard of twins named Sharlotte and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] and [name_u]Noel[/name_u] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] before, which in my opinion is far worse. Your names don’t actually rhyme, they just share similar sounds. That being said, if I had twins, I’d personally steer clear of any kind of matchy-sound names.

Maybe you could choose the one you love most as a first name for one twin, and give the other one a different fn and use the other O name as the middle name?

I’m not a fan of twins, or even siblings having the same first initial (that’s why none of my favourites names start with the same letter). I personally think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m] are too similar for twins because the O sounds in both names are the same.

Good luck on your name hunt!

if you’ve decided on going with a name other than [name_m]Oskar[/name_m], you could use it as a middle!

I love [name_m]Felix[/name_m] too, and I think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Felix[/name_m] sound great together.

here are some other possibilities you might like (that I think also go with [name_u]Seth[/name_u] & [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]!):
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_u]Paxton[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Henrik[/name_m]