Are they where they belong?

I occasionally like to revise my GP list and move some to my main list. But sometimes, I’m really not sure which list they should be on.

Please take a look at the following names, which are all on my GP list, and tell me if they are usable or better off as dreams :wink:

BOYS
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] - probably too tied to Dumbledore.
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Skye[/name_u] - [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] is pr. like [name_u]Skyler[/name_u]. Nobody would get it right at first.
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] - [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is a biblical boys name, but it’s used more on girls and often mistaken for a variation of [name_f]Alicia[/name_f].
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem

GIRLS
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] - Is [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] too juvenile? [name_f]Helena[/name_f] would be pr. helen-uh
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]

BOYS
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] - [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]‘s fine, but, yeah, [name_m]Albus[/name_m] makes me immediately think of Dumbledore.
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, absolutely usable!
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Skye[/name_u] - I don’t think the pronunciation would be too much trouble – I pronounced it like [name_u]Skyler[/name_u] right away – although it seems a different style from your daughters’ names.
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] - I do think it would be confused with [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] quite a bit, but I don’t think it makes it unusable. With names like [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], and [name_u]Micah[/name_u] in style, [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] feels masculine enough. Again, though, I’m not sure I like it with the sisters’ names.
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem - I love both names on their own, but together, it’s a very, very Russian combo, which feels weird when your daughters have such English sounding names. Maybe they could work as middles with another name in front?

GIRLS
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] - Next to [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], yes, [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] sounds a little cutesy, but the combo is perfectly usable.
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] - Usable, although [name_f]Aya[/name_f] is a different style than your daughters’ names.
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - Hmm, borderline. I can’t really decide. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]'s fine; it’s Amora that’s tripping me up.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - Like [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem, I’d really prefer to see these two names together as middles with another name in front, just because [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] feels like a strange fit with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f].

I think [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] could fit right in with the sister names, especially the [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] combo- I don’t find [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] (I assume this is the more GP element of the name) any more unusable than [name_f]Afton[/name_f] or [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f], so I’d say go for it

I do find [name_m]Albus[/name_m] a bit too much for a baby but [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] usable if slightly mismatched with the sibset

Of the girls combos I think [name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] is beautiful and fits right in, and Amora as well. I think [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] would be a good middle choice similar to [name_f]Afton[/name_f] but not really matched up front

BOYS
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] - I agree, [name_m]Albus[/name_m] is very tied to Dumbledore. I’d probably keep it as a GP.
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] - Completely usable and very handsome!
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Skye[/name_u] - I knew how [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] was pronounced already, but that might be due to nameberry. I’m not sure about this, as I don’t live in an English speaking country so I don’t know how it would be received.
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] - I do think this could lead to some teasing, as it sounds very much like [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. I’d probably keep it as a GP, though I like it!
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem - I haven’t heard Artem before. [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] is actually very normal where I live and I think it would be fine :slight_smile:

GIRLS
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] - Perfectly fine name.
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] - Very cute and also usable. [name_f]Aya[/name_f] is actually #42 in Denmark as of 2014, though I have yet to meet anybody with the name!
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], but Amora is probably a little over the top. Switch them around and I’d say go for it :slight_smile:
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - Cute! [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] is surprisingly underused, especially since [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Piper[/name_u] are so popular. I think this name would fit right in, but also stand out :slight_smile:

Move to main:
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] (definitely usable!)
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (once someone knows the pronunciation, it’ll stick - I like it!)
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem (usable, although he sounds like a Russian Mafia boss haha)
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] ([name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is more than usable, I know a few, but these sorts of names are popular in the UK)
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] ([name_f]Aya[/name_f] might get a few light-hearted jokes like ayo, aye, heya… assuming it’s pronounced aye-ya… if not, ignore, but still usable)
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] (love [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]!)
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (definitely usable, although avoid it at all costs if you’re British, more so Scottish, as [name_u]Fife[/name_u] is a run down location there)

Keep on GP:
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] (you’re right, it’s too related to Dumbledore right now… this may get better in time, but I’m not sure)
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] (the only [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] I know is a girl, and it’s such a name associated with girls that I wouldn’t… which is an ignorant statement on my part)

BOYS
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] - [name_m]Albus[/name_m] is such a fun name, but yes, probably too Dumbledore at the moment. You probably don’t have this association, but [name_m]Albie[/name_m] just makes me think of ‘[name_m]Albie[/name_m] the Racist Dragon’ (it was a big hit when I was in early highschool).
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]- I think this is fine. A lot of name, but not GP.
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Skye[/name_u] - I’ve known a couple of [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]'s and they haven’t had any trouble with their names, but if you are worried, I’d stick with the [name_u]Skyler[/name_u] spelling.
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] - One of my best male friends is named [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] (el-EYE-sha) and everyone confuses it with [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], not [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. It is a lovely choice, nonetheless, and perfectly usable, in my opinion.
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem- [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] is well known enough, I think. It is exotic, but not weird, per say.

GIRLS
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] - I think that [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is fine- it has been in use for a long time and is earthy and spunky enough to age well. This is a lovely combination.
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]- With the popularity of [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and [name_f]Kaya[/name_f], [name_f]Aya[/name_f] would fit right in.
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]- I don’t like Amora, but it is a perfectly fine name.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]- Whilst I don’t care for [name_u]Fifer[/name_u], I wouldn’t bat an eye if I met one.

[name_f]IMO[/name_f] your [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] combos are totally usable.

I honestly think that [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] is the only one that probably needs to stay on your GP list.

[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] - Personally I think this should be a GP, although I do think [name_m]Albie[/name_m] is a usable nickname
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] - [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is usable, but [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] a GP

[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Skye[/name_u] - I read [name_u]Skyler[/name_u], but thats because I’m a namenerd and already knew. I don’t really see that it is a GP, but there would be lots of pn issues to overcome. [name_u]Skye[/name_u] is very feminine to me.

[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] - [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is and has only been a girls name to me, though nothing to do with [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] (which is pn [name_m]Al[/name_m]-ee-see-uh)

[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] Artem - [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] usable, Artem, not.

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] - [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is totally usable and although I dislike [name_f]Helena[/name_f] it definitely isnt just a gp
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] - I can see this as being usable
Amora [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - Amora usable, [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] GP
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - Oh I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Fifer[/name_u], I really want to tell you usable because I want to believe it is, but maybe keep it as a GP for now. I posted a thread about it not too long ago and it actually had more positive comments than I expected! [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is of course usable, though I hate it!

Tobias Henry Peregrine is fantastic, and definitely worth keeping on the usable list. While I do like the idea of Schuyler, yes, I do think it would, 95% of the time, be pronounced incorrectly. That said, I think it would make a fantastic (usable) middle name. Elisha Dominic is great - I don’t think it has an overly powerful feminine vibe. Nikolai Artem isn’t too bad either.

As for the girls, I think they’re all usable - I really dislike Fifer myself, but it would certainly work with the current name trends.

Albus – Personally, I don’t think the Harry Potter association is a deal-breaker here, but rather the factor of Albus feeling dated and rather heavy (most young people I know were undeterred by the use of Albus on Dumbledore but totally balked at the idea of the name on Harry’s young son - the namesake the only real save for many). If anything, the HP association makes it feel fresher… It’s because of the dated feel however, that I list this on the ‘keep as a GP’ list.

Thanks, guys :slight_smile: