Are we just being crazy?

We are having a boy in less than 4 weeks and are having trouble coming up with a name for him. I have two questions.
Firstly, I would like your opinions on the names on the ‘short list’…honesty definitely preferred!
Secondly…my DF is a huge fan of Batman and Superman etc. We tried thinking of a superhero name, or a character, but there’s nothing we like. We are considering using the name ‘Joker’ for a middle name. For example, [name]Felix[/name] Joker (Last name). Is this just bizarre and weird? I think that most people don’t ever use their middle name and I am considering going with this. But am I just being crazy?
The names on the short list are:
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] or [name]Caius[/name]
[name]James[/name] (I must warn you, would probably get [name]Tiberius[/name] as a mn)
[name]Maximus[/name] ([name]Max[/name])
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name])

Some of the names we like more than others, but I can tell you [name]Felix[/name] is listed first for a reason.
Thank you!

What fun!
I don’t think its crazy - different yes - crazy no! Like you say who ever uses their middle name. Its not like you want to name him The Penguin!
I personally like [name]Felix[/name] Joker or [name]Theodore[/name] Joker. However if you think its a bit too out there why not use something like [name]Wayne[/name] or [name]Bruce[/name] (not the greatest choices!) but something that you know has a meaning but isn’t too unusual ! Good luck! :slight_smile:

Our son is named [name]Leo[/name] [name]Magnus[/name] and on more than one occasion I’ve been told that it sounds like a super hero name. I’m pretty sure it’s [name]Magnus[/name] (not [name]Leo[/name]) that made them say that. Maybe you could use that name or something similar in some capacity?

Best of luck!

[name]Tara[/name]

I love your first names, every one of them. And am a big supporter of unusual middle names with personal meaning. But Joker? That bothers me on several levels. First off, it’s a word name that might not embody what you want your son to be. Second, the character The Joker in Batman was a villain. And third, as great as [name]Heath[/name] Ledger’s performance may have been, he died of an overdose several months before the film came out. I’ve got a teenage son, and I can tell you I wouldn’t want him carrying around that role model.

You asked for honesty and here it is: Please don’t name your child Joker. Another name from a superhero legend might be great, but not this one.

[name]Love[/name] your names (except [name]Roman[/name] and [name]Otto[/name])…I think I like [name]Caius[/name] best but they are all refreshing. As for Joker, don’t do it! What about using [name]Kal[/name]-[name]El[/name]? It is Superman’s name on Krypton I think. I always thought that sounded cool. Also, just to throw this out there–my husband wouldn’t let me have this–what about [name]Mercury[/name] or another space type name? Very strong with mythological associations too. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I like [name]Caius[/name] the best of the first names, but there are many good ones on the list. As far as Joker, definitely a vote for NO. I just think, even as a middle name, that he will get teased so much. Surely there is another option that can still give you that superhero feel to it.

I agree with the concerns about the name Joker. If there was a superhero that my parents really loved, I wouldn’t mind having a cool middle name like [name]Wolverine[/name] or Jor-[name]El[/name]. Having the name of a creepy villain, however, would not make me happy. If your husband is really into Superman, you could go with a middle name of “[name]Clark[/name]” or “[name]Kent[/name],” although I understand this is less exciting.

I would definitley NOT use Joker, [name]Tiberius[/name] is great though!

I would not want to go through life with Joker as part of my name. [name]Even[/name] if you don’t think of the villain in Batman, the name Joker sounds like a joke on the baby, like you don’t take him seriously or you expect him to be silly or ridiculous. I would never name my child after the character in Batman. Too bad [name]Bruce[/name] and [name]Wayne[/name] are not in style. I love [name]Clark[/name] and [name]Kent[/name] though.

I agree with [name]Pam[/name] leave Joker out of the mix.

I like [name]Roman[/name]

I love the names [name]Felix[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Roman[/name], [name]Tobias[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] from your list.

I wouldn’t go totally crazy with the mn as it could be used. I happened to have another girl in my class for 10 yrs at school with my exact cn and sn so my mn was used as if cn and mn hyphonated, as was hers for distinction. Depending on your surname and what cm you go for, this could be a possibiliy, particularly if you go for a [name]Max[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name]??

I think having a superhero mn is quite cool, BUT, persoanlly, think Joker is a bit much. Names like [name]Clark[/name], [name]Kent[/name], Stark, [name]Murdock[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] may be a more fitting tribute, whilst remaining wonderfully weird.

[name]James[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], or [name]Caius[/name] and [name]Tiberius[/name] as middle name sound cool :slight_smile:

To follow up on delivery surprises idea I think having a superhero mn is quite cool, BUT, persoanlly, think Joker is a bit much. Names like [name]Clark[/name], [name]Kent[/name], Stark, [name]Murdock[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] may be a more fitting tribute, whilst remaining wonderfully weird

[name]Heath[/name] would be a nice, subtle way of getting the theme you want, and [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Reeve[/name] the wonderful Superman, either of his names would be fitting.

Thank you for the input everyone! I think I have reached this point because I have spent the past 8 months trying to convince DF that we cannot name our son [name]Bruce[/name] [name]Wayne[/name] (last name). He came up with the idea of the name [name]Joseph[/name] Ker (last name)…so when shortened it is [name]Joe[/name] Ker…Joker. I said no absolutely not! And then he asked what about as a middle name? I said sure whatever, because at this point I’m kinda over it and I figured no one would ever know.
I like the suggestion of using [name]Heath[/name] for a mn…I think his performance was the best out of all the actors who have played the Joker over the years, plus [name]Heath[/name] and I grew up in the same town and attended the same school (although at different times).
So once again, thank you for the input! At 36 weeks pregnant I definitely cannot tell if I’m being crazy or not!

[name]Heath[/name] is it then, no argument, with all of those connections it has to be [name]Heath[/name]!

Good luck, sit back on the lounge now, and eat chocolate and tell your DH the good news when he gets home tonight from work.

[name]James[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name] [name]Kirk[/name]!

It had to be said.

Anyway, I just wanted to echo the others and say that I love all of your names, but I agree that a middle name like [name]Heath[/name] would be far more appropriate.

From your list my favorites are:
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]

Have you considered [name]Cassius[/name]? NN [name]Cash[/name]? That reminds me of the other names on your short list. HTH!

If you want to use a batman/joker related name heres a suggestion form avid Batman comic reader:D The joker’s real name is [name]Jack[/name]. Not many people know that but its actually in several of the older comic books and i think that its a great alternitve to Joker, as in reality, Joker is a pyschoatic murdering clown, though he is a great charcater in the comics its not right for a child. But [name]Jack[/name] is a very cute name, that while being directly linked to the Joker, not so linked its creepy.

[name]Felix[/name]- I like [name]Felix[/name] alot, [name]Felix[/name] [name]Jack[/name] sounds Ok
[name]Gaius[/name] or [name]Caius[/name]- Eh i dont like this one much
[name]James[/name] (I must warn you, would probably get [name]Tiberius[/name] as a mn)- [name]James[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name]? Isnt that the name of a kid form a teen show called…degrassi or something?
[name]Maximus[/name] ([name]Max[/name])- I like [name]Maximus[/name]! [name]Maximus[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is handsome!
[name]Otto[/name]- Otter, thats all i hear
[name]Roman[/name]- One i like but am not crazy about
[name]Thomas[/name]- I like [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is a very handsome name as well!
[name]Tobias[/name]- Tobais [name]Jack[/name] is another A+
[name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name])- [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is another good one!

Also in reference to Batman you have names like [name]Cain[/name] (villian), [name]Bruce[/name] (Batman), [name]Jim[/name]/[name]James[/name] (Commisoner [name]Gordon[/name]), [name]Heath[/name] (AMAZING actor that played Joker in the Dark [name]Knight[/name]), Also the name [name]Bruce[/name] [name]Wayne[/name] was derived from the scottish hero [name]Robert[/name] [name]Bruce[/name] so [name]Robert[/name], [name]Robin[/name], Bane, [name]Blaze[/name], [name]Hugo[/name]( Dr. Strange), [name]Lex[/name] ([name]Luther[/name]), [name]Edward[/name] (Riddlers real name), Wylon (Killer Croc), [name]Victor[/name] (Mr. Freeze), and [name]Ethan[/name] ([name]Clay[/name] Face)

Instead of Joker, why not use [name]Loki[/name]? [name]Loki[/name] was the Norse Trickster God of Mischief and Mayhem, he was basically the inspiration for the Batman villain The Joker (among others). Pronounced LOW-kee.

Plus, I think [name]Felix[/name] [name]Loki[/name] LastName and [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Loki[/name] LastName are both very handsome :slight_smile:

DF, being a complete batman geek, says that the Joker’s real name is unknown…we have pretty much every comic ever written and there is a different backstory and name for the Joker in each one. So you read one comic and think ‘oh now I know his name and how he became the joker’, but then you read another one and realise it’s completely different. That’s the point…he’s supposed to trick people!
[name]James[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name] is the name of [name]Captain[/name] [name]Kirk[/name] from [name]Star[/name] Trek…[name]James[/name] T. [name]Kirk[/name]…[name]Jim[/name]…yeah. I like this, we are geeks, [name]James[/name] is a nice name but it is really popular which is pretty much the only thing putting me off.
I will definitely suggest [name]Heath[/name] as a middle name tonight but don’t know if he’ll go for it!
I also like the suggestion of [name]Loki[/name] as a middle name. I think we have thought of that in the past but I forgot what happened to it…anyway, I’ll bring it up again!
Thanks everyone!

Being quite nerdy myself (in a similar yet still different way), I totally understand why you guys would want to use those names.
Personally, I love the name [name]James[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name]. I watched the [name]Star[/name] Trek movie the other day, and fell in love with the name [name]James[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name]. My parents made fun of me all night. [name]Tiberius[/name] is such a strong name, you could even use it as a middle name for [name]Felix[/name] if you want. [name]Felix[/name] [name]Tiberius[/name] would sound pretty good.
Also, I love the combo [name]Felix[/name] [name]Clark[/name]. It sounds so cool, and pretty much like a superhero name in itself.
Also, if you guys like X-Men, you could use the name that [name]Wolverine[/name] goes by, [name]Logan[/name]. [name]Felix[/name] [name]Logan[/name] would be a good combo too.
I really love the name [name]Felix[/name], as you can tell. Good luck!