Are we too old to have a baby?

While it’s true that “advanced” age can sometimes elevate these risks, it’s generally the age of the mother and the mother would be over 40/45 in those cases, not 33!

Definitely not too old, and your co-workers sound a little misinformed about being in your 30s and having kids - my mum was 33 when she had my sister, and my sister is perfectly fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your co-workers are scaremongers. There is no perfect age for having children. Yes, older parents can have children that have health issues, but guess what? So can young parents too! Honestly, in my opinion, it’s the luck of the draw. If you feel ready to have children then now is your time, whether you’re 21, 33 or 40. Maybe you should remind these people that if they haven’t got anything nice, or helpful, to say then don’t say it.

7 Likes

My parents were both 45 when I was born. I am blessed to not have any disabilities, but I understand that it was definitely a possibility. But 33 isn’t even very old to be having a baby.

1 Like

No way!! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom was 38 and my dad was 42 when they had me :sweat_smile: I’m now 29 and we’re all doing alright. It is a different experience having “older” parents, but I firmly believe there are both pros and cons to every age of parenting :woman_shrugging:

No, definitely not too old. There is an increased risk at 40+, but there is a risk with any pregnancy!
I had my first (my husband’s second) at 34. At my first regular ob visit after he was born, my doc asked about more? I said I assume I need to be leery since I’m 35 now and his immediate response, was no! He said he wasn’t scared of 35 and just to take prenatal vitamins and folic acid when we started thinking about it. He also explained to me that the geriatric pregnancy at 35 only started because of when an amniocentesis was the only prenatal testing available. At that age, the risk of the test outweighed not doing it and that had just been the benchmark since then.
I say go for it!!

1 Like

PS-we also both agree that we are way better parents at this age then would have been younger! Pluses and minuses to any age!

If you want kid(s), then you should have them! Maybe start working on it sooner rather than putting it off for a few years, but I think there are lots of people here who will be in your corner!

1 Like

Okay that’s helpful from a health perspective that I shouldn’t be worried, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t think I would have been ready much earlier than this and think I’m in a better mindset and place to be a good mother right now.

1 Like

Very true, thanks!

Thanks I appreciate your support and agree it’s really none of their business :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks I agree, it seems like a lot of people are having kids older and don’t know why they keep making comments like that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband worries about that, being the old dad, but he looks younger than his age and who cares anyways, he’ll probably be a wise dad having some time behind him.

Thanks! Like your cat photo, I have two myself and looking to add a kiddo for them haha.

1 Like

No definitely not

Same here and I didn’t realize how much so until I was a mom! Good luck!!

100% no. my mother had me when she was just 40 (her birthday is less than a month before mine) and my sister when she was 37. you are not even close to being “too old” you are just about the average age i’d say ! don’t let them discourage you, do what you feel best.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom had us at 32 and 36/37 respectively and my dad had kids at 32, 37 & 41. We don’t have any issues related to having parents who were older when they had us. [name_f]My[/name_f] older brother and his wife had kids late as well (him: 33/34 & 35/36; her: 36/37 & 38/39). Their kids don’t have any issues related to the age of their parents when they had them. The medical conditions we have are hereditary that have been passed from generation to generation or are unrelated to our parents (allergies, etc.). I do have another medical condition that my siblings don’t have, but that is not due to my parents’ ages when I was born either.

I don’t think you are out of the realm of having children yet if you want them. I think the added life experience and stability will aid in giving them the life you want them to have. There are plenty of people who are having kids later in life so you’ll be in great company.

1 Like

Not at all! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom had me at 40! :blush:

1 Like

not a parent yet, but my mom had me at 48 and my dad was 40, so IMO you are not too old