Argh help with the pain of honoring a Shirley?!

A couple of months ago I worked with a young 20-something girl who was absolutely gorgeous. She looked like a [name]Paloma[/name] or a [name]Veronica[/name]… and her name was [name]Shirley[/name]…it always made me giggle because the name just did not fit her at all. So, if your grandmother wasn’t a fan just like you aren’t then I wouldn’t make myself like it.
I like the idea of [name]Lydia[/name] since it was her favorite name

If you know grandma didn’t like her name I wonder how she feel about you using it for your daughter? My grandma’s name is [name]Jessie[/name] and she doesn’t like her name either. I haven’t approached her with the idea of maybe using her name some day but I bet she’d try to talk me out of it. If your grandma expressed a love for the name [name]Lydia[/name] (my favorite) I’d say use it. If she were still alive (I’m sorry for your loss) I bet she’d love to have a great granddaughter with [name]Lydia[/name] somewhere in her name.

If your grandmother didn’t like her own name I’d suggest definately using a different version, or her middle name. Sorry for any repeats.

[name]Shelby[/name]
[name]Sheba[/name]
[name]Shea[/name]
Saorsie (Seer-Sha)
[name]Shiloh[/name]
[name]Siobhan[/name]
[name]Shannen[/name]
[name]Shayla[/name]

I also love the idea of using her last name Seabourne, or perhaps Sea itself? There’s also [name]Oceana[/name]. You could also use [name]Marina[/name] or such that has “sea” meanings?

hi – i happen to know that the name, “paisley” means meadow in scottish… that’s a pretty cool way to honor shirley…

hey - i was wrong - i meant ‘[name]AINSLEY[/name]’ is scottish for meadow!!! i’m sorry about that! i’m 18 wks pregnant and have a 7 month old, so at times, my mind blanks! i have two friends, one w/a paisley and one w/ainsley - i forgot who told me it was meadow, but it just hit me!! it’s ainsley! ([name]ANE[/name] - slee)