Argyll?

What do you think of this for a boy’s name, I’ve asked around and apparently people really associate it to the pattern (which I just learned the name of) instead of the Scottish county.

Any thoughts?
Would the original [name_m]Argyle[/name_m] spelling make a difference?

Edit: Pronunced like ahr-guy-l (this is the best way I can come up with to explain the sound)

How is it pronounced?

1 Like

I like it! We honeymooned in Argyll so it conjures up lovely memories for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I prefer the Argyll spelling but I do think [name_m]Argyle[/name_m] might be easier for most people to pronounce on sight.

1 Like

@Kipperbo1 It’s pronounced like ahr-guy-l I guess. I’m really bad at explaining the pronunciation but it’s sort of like this.

@katinka Aw it’s lovely someone has a nice association to it as everyone keeps mentioning the pattern :joy:

1 Like

hmm…[name_m]Argyle[/name_m] is more intuitive but also looks a lot like gargoyle to me, so I think I prefer the Argyll spelling.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Argyle[/name_m] is more intuitive to the unfamiliar, but it does bring the pattern to mind. However, if you’re naming it because of the county, you may choose to us Argyll. It’s not my style, but I can see the appeal!

1 Like

At first Argyll reminded me of Acrylic paint.

1 Like

I like it! The ‘gyle’ part is very unusual isn’t it? I can’t immediately think of any other names with that sound.

2 Likes

I admit i associate it with the pattern and I’m not fond of the sound

1 Like

If [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] and [name_f]Velvet[/name_f], why not [name_m]Argyle[/name_m]?

2 Likes

I would LOVE to see someone use this name! It’s uncommon but certainly useable, strong, and handsome.

1 Like

Yes, I came here to make this comment as well! [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] immediately came to mind as a commonly heard pattern-name, so why not [name_m]Argyle[/name_m]? I struggled a bit with the Argyll spelling, but I’m not opposed to it. As a name, feels like a mashup between [name_m]Argus[/name_m] and [name_u]Kyle[/name_u], which is an interesting combination.

Lake [name_m]Argyle[/name_m] is a place in Western Australia where they mine beautiful very expensive diamonds.

Love it as a name spelt either way.

I love this name! Argyll or [name_m]Argyle[/name_m]. I love Scottish words and names.

It sounds cozy and Hebridean to me. :slight_smile: