Ari? Luca?

My husband is stuck on the name [name]Ari[/name].

It began one evening while watching the tv show ‘Entourage’, where a main character has the name. I told him I liked the name. He was thrilled, and ever since has been boasting that when we have a son, we will name him [name]Ari[/name].

Well, now we are expecting a little boy, but i’m not so sure about the name.

Anyone i’ve mentioned it to gives me an odd look, and tells me it sounds too foreign. I like different/exotic sounding names… but would the name seem strange on a blonde/blue-eyed christian white kid?

I’m having the same issue with the name [name]Luca[/name]. I love the name, but I know it’s mainly used with italians. Also, people tell me they think it sounds feminine.

Anyone have any advise for me?

We are pretty sure the middle name will be [name]Gregory[/name] after my dad, and the last name is [name]Johnson[/name].

We have a daughter named [name]Alyssa[/name].

I love [name]Ari[/name] and I think it’s perfectly usable no what race/ethnicity you are. My only concern would be that it kind of rhymes with [name]Gregory[/name]. If that doesn’t bother you, then I would say go ahead and use it.

I have to say that even though I know [name]Luca[/name] is a boys name, it does sound very feminine to me. I think that [name]Lucas[/name], nickname [name]Luca[/name] would work a lot better.

I think [name]Ari[/name] would be weird because it’s a really Jewish name. That and the character on Entourage is a serious @$?!.

A big YES to [name]Ari[/name]. I have a three-year old blonde-haired green eyed (and christian) [name]Ari[/name]. It fits him like a glove and I always get compliments on his name. To me it is short and sweet while still being masculine and strong. I hesitated too because it is uncommon, but have never regretted the choice.

As for [name]Luca[/name], that was my absolute #1 name choice for my second son (I think [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Luca[/name] go brilliantly together), unfortunately I was vetoed :frowning:

A big thumbs up to both names, I really like your style!

I would definitely assume an [name]Ari[/name] was Jewish, for what it’s worth. But I’m just one person and maybe that doesn’t matter to you. My friend dates an [name]Abraham[/name] and she says she gets asked constantly if he’s Jewish because of his name; it does sound a little annoying to me to have people assume things about your religion or ask you about your religion.

I was the previous poster with a son [name]Ari[/name]…for the record I have indeed been asked if he is Jewish on occasion, but it didn’t bother me in the least. Guess it just depends whether that would be annoying for you. Wonder if it REALLY throws people when they hear me call [name]Ari[/name] and his brother [name]Christopher[/name]'s name together on the playground :slight_smile:

Have you ever considered [name]Adrian[/name]? This is one of my other favorites and I think [name]Adrian[/name] nn [name]Ari[/name] would work really well and could get you around the ethnic/religious hesitations your having.

I love [name]Luca[/name] in fact it is one of my favorite names. Although people have also told me it is kinda feminine… it is a unisex name that’s why I think. [name]Ari[/name] I am not so much a fan of. [name]How[/name] about the name [name]Dominic[/name]? I think [name]Dominic[/name] [name]Gregory[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] sounds great, and is a strong name.

Thanks for the replies,

We were actually thinking of [name]Ari[/name] [name]Christian[/name], however ironic that might be…lol. I agree [name]Ari[/name] [name]Gregory[/name] sounds too rhymey. But then, [name]Christian[/name] and [name]Johnson[/name] dont sound the greatest together either. :?

I’ve known too many girls named [name]Adrienne[/name], so that puts me off using [name]Adrian[/name].

[name]Dominic[/name] is a nice name, but I had an X named [name]Nick[/name] that i strongly dislike - so the ‘nic’ in there makes me think of him.

I think [name]Luca[/name] [name]Gregory[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] flows nicely and is winning over [name]Ari[/name] for me.

I’m also starting to revert to names I used to love, like [name]TYLER[/name]. [name]TY[/name] for short.
I wanted something a little more original, especially considering how common of a last name [name]Johnson[/name] is, but I can’t help but love it.
It’s not as common these days I guess… but is it too much of a washed-up trendy 90’s name? Or could it be considered a clasic?

I would assume [name]Ari[/name] is Jewish (just like [name]Ari[/name] [name]Gold[/name] on Entourage). My wife is Jewish. I’m not. Interestingly though, the Jewish names bothered her and not me.

I like [name]Luca[/name] - it is a bit Italian sounding.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Leo[/name]? Kind of a similar name but broader across ethnicity/nationality.