Ari nn for Marvin?

Could [name_u]Ari[/name_u] work as a nickname for [name_m]Marvin[/name_m]? Too stretchy? [name_u]Or[/name_u] could it be cute?

2 Likes

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] or [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] could both work.

It’s definitely cute and not too much of a stretch at all in my opinion! [name_f]My[/name_f] only concern is that I’m not sure how easily it’d stick outside of your home - eg. would classmates, teachers, future colleagues, etcetera stick to calling him [name_u]Ari[/name_u] or would they hear “My name is [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] but you can call me Ari” and just use [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] or something like [name_m]Marv[/name_m]? Since [name_u]Ari[/name_u] isn’t very intuitive or common as a nn for [name_m]Marvin[/name_m]. I do love the nickname and think it works though! [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to consider.

1 Like

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] could definitely work, and I really like it as a nn for [name_m]Marvin[/name_m]!

If [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] is an honor name that you really want to use and are looking for a wearable nickname, than I could see it for sure. Otherwise it seems a bit of a stretch to me, kind of like, if you love [name_m]Marvin[/name_m], there are more intuitive nicknames, and if you love [name_u]Ari[/name_u], there are more intuitive full names :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It could work. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Ari[/name_u], not so keen on [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] though personally, but it’s not too much of a stretch

I think it could work! It’s not something I would have thought of on my own, but it’s intriguing and I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch at all. (I really love [name_u]Ari[/name_u], too, so I’m always interested in hearing new ways to get to it as a nickname lol.)

I agree. I usually like stretchy nns, but not that one. [name_u]Ari[/name_u] kind of makes me think you wanted to use the name [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] but you didn’t really like it that much.

3 Likes

I agree with @kapaza.

To me [name_u]Ari[/name_u] just seems too different from [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] to be a reasonable nickname for it. Plus [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is often a name in its own right anyway, which could lead to confusion. Something like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] or [name_m]Arnold[/name_m] NN [name_u]Ari[/name_u] might work though.

If [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is the name you really like, I’d recommend calling him that and using [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] as a middle name.

It’s pretty stretchy but it could work, if he went exclusively by [name_u]Ari[/name_u]. It’s kind of like “My name is [name_m]Richard[/name_m] but I go by Dick.” Like, the sounds are kind of there but it’s not intuitive at all. I think it could work if he went exclusively by [name_u]Ari[/name_u] because then the nickname would “replace” the full name in people’s heads, but if it’s only an occasional or endearing nickname then it might not stick with other people because it’s not super intuitive.

1 Like

It definitely works