Aria vs Aurora

Hello!

We have a son named [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and are having a hard time deciding on a girl name for #2… If we have a boy he will be [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. We were originally thinking [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] (middle names are both family names and non-negotiable) but then thought that it would be neat if our girl name was [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u], that way we’d have a [name_u]Rory[/name_u], regardless of the sex! I’m just not sure I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] better than [name_f]Aria[/name_f]…

What do you guys think?

I prefer the name [name_f]Aria[/name_f] to [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] personally, that said I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] works great with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and like you said – you still get [name_u]Rory[/name_u]!

I like both [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] about the same amount, but I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]) sounds better with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

I’d go with [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. Mainly because [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is one of our boy name options so I’d hate to see it on girl…

I think there’s a big difference between giving a girl a boy name and giving a girl a feminine name that lends itself to a boy’s name as a nickname. So [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], NOT like naming one’s daughter [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. I say this as someone who is staunchly opposed to giving girls boys’ names.

I would go with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]Aria[/name_f] seems very trendy to me. Its meteoric rise up the charts and the fact that it’s (apparently) the name of two popular tv characters would seem to suggest it may be a flash-in-the-pan name. And when I really want to get a feel for whether a name is trendy, I look at who’s using it. Let’s just say that I haven’t seen any little Arias announced in my law school alumni update but have seen two such announcements other, less prestigious places. As someone who used to like the name [name_f]Aria[/name_f], I am saddened by its trajectory and have always paid close attention to its usage. That being said, if you truly love it and want to use it, it’s a lovely sounding name.

Awesome, thank you all for the input. I’m leaning more and more towards [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

[name_f]Freya[/name_f], that’s one of the reasons I wasn’t so sure about [name_f]Aria[/name_f] anymore… It’s been on my list for years and years but all of a sudden, when we started having kiddos it started to become more popular and trendy. >.>

I agree too, I’m not a fan of boy’s names on girls, but I think as a nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is more than appropriate and lends itself very well with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I love it as a full name for a boy, and as a nn for a girl. :slight_smile:

I adore both names, but slightly prefer [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] than [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u].

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] do sound better as siblings, but [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] just doesn’t… fit right to me. [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] are still adorable, though :slight_smile:

Maybe [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] (nicknamed [name_f]Aria[/name_f]?)

I think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a perfect sibset. [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is lovely, but I feel like it’s getting overused.

[name_f]Aria[/name_f] is quickly climbing my list of favorites, but i agree that [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] sounds like a better match with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] (which OMG [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is a great name!).

I think you can’t go wrong with either, but [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a more fitting choice, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Aria[/name_f] over [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] work well together.

I think both are pretty, but I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] better with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

Please, no “[name_f]Aria[/name_f]”… an aria is a beautiful thing: “a long accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera or oratorio”–but to me it is not a real name. It’s like naming your child [name_f]Melody[/name_f], except it sounds much better than [name_f]Melody[/name_f]. (I know that people name their children things like [name_f]Melody[/name_f] and [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], etc, but… it’s not classy. Sorry. I’m with [name_f]Freya[/name_f].)

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] sound amazing together. Not only is [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] the name of a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess, you also have the association with the aurora borealis, or northern lights–so beautiful! :smiley:

I’m another vote for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is very pretty, but [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] fits better with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

I think [name_f]Aria[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] are so beautiful as names. I think [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is easier to pronounce than [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] more than [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. To me [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a classic, it has the Sleeping Beauty association (which I think any little girl would love), and the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u] gives it a spunky fresh feel. While [name_f]Aria[/name_f] seems too trendy at the moment.

I say go with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], it’s beautiful, and it gives you the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

I prefer [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. Although [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a very pretty name, I’ve always thought the “ror” in [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u] has an awkward sound to it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. We use both names, [name_u]Rory[/name_u] a little more, and we get lots of positive feedback, if that helps! I know a man named [name_u]Rory[/name_u] whose wife is [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]- [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] would be the perfect name for their daughter, I’ve always figured :slight_smile:

I’m with the crowd here - [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] fits better with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], but most importantly, as a stand-alone [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] feels more layered than [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. I don’t care for [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a given name for girls because I like it on boys so much, but I do really like it as a boyish nickname for a feminine name – same as how I dislike [name_u]Billie[/name_u] or [name_u]Joey[/name_u] as a given name for a girl, but love them as nicknames for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].

The only downside I can think of for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is the r’s can sort of trip you up - the “rural juror” effect. But that’s about it.

Thank you, I’ve ALWAYS loved the name [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband is a physicist and likes the connection to the aurora borealis a lot too. We are also both musicians, which is why [name_f]Aria[/name_f] has been on the list. It’s unfortunate that several main television characters have the name now imo…

I also like [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] with [name_f]Aria[/name_f] slightly more… Perhaps I’ll dig around and see if the husband would budge for a different family middle name…