Arianwen?

I’ve been looking for more Welsh names to add to my list and came across [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] … thoughts?

I think it is pretty, but I see the word arian in it which makes it unusable for me.

I love it! I’m Welsh and think [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] is a lovely name!
There’s also: Rhianwen, Rhianydd, [name_f]Myfanwy[/name_f], [name_f]Angharad[/name_f], Llinos, Cariad, [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Carys[/name_f], [name_u]Seren[/name_u], [name_u]Tegan[/name_u], [name_f]Lowri[/name_f], [name_f]Eleri[/name_f] ([name_f]Ell[/name_f]-air-ree, not like Celery).

[name_f]Remember[/name_f] there is no K or Q is welsh so any names with these beginnings are variations of original spellings :slight_smile:

I think it’s lovely :slight_smile:

There are other “wen” names that I like better. I feel like this one is complicated with the abundance of vowels and so loses the appeal for me.

sweetpeacelove - the arian part doesn’t bother me because the “race” is spelt [name_m]Aryan[/name_m], but thank you for the response

carysmarie - thank you for the suggestions! [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is Welsh so I’m always looking for more Welsh names but I find there isn’t much info on the internet. I’m liking Llinos, though most non-Welsh speakers can’t make the Ll sound

jessblonde - thank you for your reply, it seems that so far the general opinion is that it is a nice name which I am pleased about :slight_smile:

aym - it does have a lot of vowels in it!

sweetpeacelove - arian means silver in Welsh, so it’s actually a good thing to the ear of a Welsh speaker haha.

[name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] isn’t on the list of the names I like and I can’t really think of a nn for it (that I like). But I like the meaning of the name.

All I’ve got as potential nns are [name_u]Ari[/name_u] (maybe prn Arry or Are-ee) and [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f] but yeah, there aren’t many

[name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] is all right but not as appealing as [name_f]Anwen[/name_f] or [name_f]Angharad[/name_f].

I am fond of a number of the other -wen names though and it’s okay.

Rhianwen & Rhianydd look pretty, I’ll have to look up how they sound…?

They’re ree-an-wen and ree-an-eth (th like the) as far as I know, though [name_u]Rhian[/name_u] is ‘ree-un’ so… hmm.

I like [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] very much. I love [name_u]Ari[/name_u] (arry) as a nickname.

I love [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] so much more than [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]. I wish it went with my style better (although I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f]). [name_f]My[/name_f] nana is half Welsh, and she and I often discuss Welsh names, her favourites seem to be [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f], [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f], she also liked [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favourites are [name_f]Anwen[/name_f], [name_f]Ffion[/name_f], [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Betsan[/name_f] & [name_f]Delyth[/name_f].

stripedsocks - [name_f]Anwen[/name_f] is currently my favourite Welsh name :slight_smile:

renrose - I’m pleased to have positive feedback on nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u], I’m not really very good at thinking of nns normally!

lawsonhaley - I agree, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f] do well together. They are a similar length and both sound sort of regal. [name_f]My[/name_f] Welsh grandmother’s favourite was [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]! I love [name_f]Anwen[/name_f] too

Two thumbs up to [name_f]Arianwen[/name_f]! I would love to see more of these obscure Welsh names in use.