Ariel's Sisters

See the results of this poll: Would you use any of Poseidon’s Daughter’s names?

Respondents: 29 (This poll is closed)

• Aquatta: 0 (0%)
  • Andrina: 2 (7%)
  • Arista: 4 (14%)
  • Adella: 7 (24%)
  • Alana: 3 (10%)
  • Attina: 0 (0%)
  • Ariel: 13 (45%)

A pretty though overly matchy set - except for Aquatta which sounds remarkably unpleasant.

I like odd names, really odd names, but odd names I can place. Without further information, the only one I’d use is [name]Alana[/name] (though I favor [name]Lana[/name]). [name]Ariel[/name] herself would be too associated with this character, and some of the others would be too.

I love The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid! [name]Alana[/name] and [name]Arista[/name] are cute names.

I plan on using the name [name]Adele[/name]. I love it without the -a because it’s utterly feminine without frills :slight_smile:

I love The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid! Now I can’t for the life of me remember what her daughter is called in the sequel … I had to life, Dotsmom, as [name]Rosie[/name] is going through the Disney movie phase, too - we have seen [name]Cinderella[/name] five times in the last week, I am sure, despite my trying to discourage too much television!

I once met a woman named [name]Ariel[/name]. Mermaids didn’t come up in conversation, but she was lovely, so I can see the name on a real person. As for her sisters, though, I find all of the names are of the sort which feel more like a combination of pretty sounds than a name with substance, so I probably wouldn’t use any …

I think her daughter might have been [name]Miranda[/name]…but I’m not sure. Maybe that’s just the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection…?

I voted for [name]Adella[/name] because I think it is quite lovely (also [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Adelia[/name]) but also the most usuable for a real, every day person. [name]Ariel[/name] too, I suppose, but is too closely associated with the Mermaid for me. And shouldn’t the feminine be [name]Arielle[/name] like [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Gabrielle[/name]? This always bothers me. In fact, I once knew a man named [name]Ariel[/name].

Aquatta - agree with pp that there’s something distinctly unpleasant about this one. Maybe because it sounds like squat?
[name]Andrina[/name] - pretty I think. I know someone named [name]Andrine[/name], so I can definitely see this.
[name]Arista[/name] - pretty sounds but insubstantial to me; sounds like arrested and wrist and [name]Trista[/name]
[name]Adella[/name] - definitely possible
[name]Alana[/name] - works but not my style
Attina - like [name]Arista[/name] it is pretty in sound but doesn’t really come off as a real name to me.

[name]Melody[/name]. Ariels daughter is [name]Melody[/name]