Arlo or Maxwell

Hi!

We’re expecting our baby boy in 2 weeks and still can’t decide on the order of first and middle name. I love both names :tired_face: TBH I don’t care so much about flow of the name, we almost never say our daughters middle name! This is our second and final baby so I don’t want to save a name for next time so both of these names will be used in the name. My husband also likes both names and is of no help :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Arlo

Or

Maxwell

If it’s of any help, we live in Australia (not the UK where I’ve read Arlo is very popular) the popularity doesn’t bother me. I go for a name on what I like. Max is pretty popular here and Arlo isn’t as quite as popular, yet. But it’s definitely getting traction and know it’s becoming more and more popular. I don’t mind.

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] arlo x

1 Like

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u].

1 Like

The real question seems to be which you love most and want to say all the time.

If it were me, I’d imagine there would be no middle name and pick the one I couldn’t let go as the first. Because as you say, the middle is almost never said, by anybody, ever.

9 Likes

Both are great names. I’d wait and see which name feels right when he’s born.

PP is right - pick the name you keep coming back to. I find saying just the first name out loud helps or for a day refer to the baby as [name_u]Max[/name_u] or [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and see how each name feels.

3 Likes

Personally I prefer the flow of [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] - the other way round I find the Ls get a bit tangled (like ‘larlo’). But I agree with what has been said above - imagine you could only choose ONE and see which you’re drawn to, then use that as the first :relaxed:

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] to [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], but I like the sound of [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] better. All that being said, I agree with what the PPs said. I particularly like the idea of deciding when you see him.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - so lively, fun and charming! Such a cool name :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u], definitely! I like [name_u]Max[/name_u] but [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] has negative associations for me but is fine as a second name, whereas [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is such a cute & fun name.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is adorable. But I’ve known several people who do the thing where they wait until the baby is born and see which way works better. I agree with some of the previous posters who say to call the baby by each name for a day or two and see which feels more natural.

1 Like

If it were me, I’d go with Arlo Maxwell. But, like others have said, what matters is which name you would rather call your child day to day. One thing that might help:

This feature will let you “test drive” each name and see what feels most natural in a variety of real-life situations! I use it all the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m thinking we might do this! Thanks for your suggestion :grinning:

Exactly because middle names are rarely ever spoken of. A flow of a name doesn’t really bother me because it’s so rarely brought up.

The problem is, I love both :joy: I’m finding it so hard to choose. It’s a life long decision.

I’m just struggling so much with choosing a first name out of the two as I love both. I won’t really ever say the whole name a lot. We barely ever say our daughters first and middle name. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you! I’m leaning towards [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]. I just love the sound of it. [name_f]My[/name_f] little daughter really wants [name_u]Max[/name_u] so good luck to us if we opt for [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]!

1 Like

That is hard. You could toss a coin and see which one you are secretly hoping for. [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] is a name that would fit in totally where I live. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] would be a little different. I think of [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u] and social activism.

Me, I’d go for [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] and call him [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_m]Welby[/name_m]. I love names that have ready nicknames that I like.

2 Likes

They’re both great names and I think it’s ok to wait and trial both after the baby has arrived. I’d go with [name_u]Max[/name_u] (rather than Maxwell) [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], but your preference is all that matters :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we will be doing a trial! I said just [name_u]Max[/name_u] but my husband prefers [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]. He will only get that when in trouble :joy: we never use the long version of my daughters name either but we like having a name you can abbreviate. In Australia your name will be shortened no matter what!

[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

1 Like