Arthur for a girl?

Nameberry considers [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] a unisex name. What are your thoughts on a girl [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]? Is it cool or too unusual?

2 Likes

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] is one of the most masculine names there is for me. Not unisex at all, but perhaps it would be cool… hmmm

6 Likes

No.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] no

3 Likes

Definitely not - it’s got very strong masculine vibes (i.e. [name_m]King[/name_m] Arthur).

5 Likes

Feels very masculine too me. I’m in the UK and very close to Glastonbury and [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] legend. I think it would really raise some eyebrows, to hear a girl called [name_u]Arthur[/name_u].
Artura is a nice variation?

3 Likes

@Artemis_returns Artura is beautiful!

1 Like

I guess it rhymes with [name_f]Martha[/name_f]? I think ‘Artie’ or ‘Art’ would be cool on a girl though

3 Likes

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] feels very masculine. I think [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] or Artura are better for a girl.

1 Like

It could be cool - especially if Artha were acceptable - but then you might as well go [name_f]Martha[/name_f] - and overall I’m not sure I love the sounds enough for a girl and at this point it is clearly a very masculine name. I also have a general philosophical bee in my bonnet that it’s often girls who go masculine names (and then they’re called unisex) than the other way around. So until we see parents calling their boys [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], I’m not keen on giving hyper masc names to girls (and I say this recognising there we are legit unisex names and names change over time etc, I just want parents of boys to also initiate the change here (but I know that it’s a bigger risk for a boy to be thought of as a girl). :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I kinda like it!

1 Like

No just no

Hm… I’m not much a fan. I do prefer [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Arthurine[/name_f], or even [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] for a femme name.

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] no. I think it reads, parents trying too hard for attention at the expense of their daughter. Whatever her name it is something she must contend with for the rest of her life and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] is well established as a male name.

4 Likes

I think it’s too unusual as it is a very distinct and traditional boys name. I think the shorter versions such as [name_m]Art[/name_m] or [name_u]Artie[/name_u] could totally get away with being unisex though because they don’t have the same formal vibe in the first place. Like if someone told me their girls names were [name_u]Artie[/name_u] & [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] for example I would just think it’s quite cool. And the child could decide if they wanted when they’re older they want a formal feminine name that it’s short for [name_f]Araminta[/name_f] or [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] for example, so they have options.

1 Like

@dejectedpiglet It appears it’s just you and me with that opinion :sob:

1 Like

No.

honestly i think it’s kinda cool! i feel like there are other unisex names i like better but i think that’s mostly cause i never really considered arthur unisex before.

i know most in the thread are opposed but i know girls in my life who could totally pull off arthur.

1 Like

@EloiseT I agree with you on the whole traditional fem names on boys! I think a boy named [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] could be really cool! Unfortunately I don’t think peers would take too kindly to it even though it’s a cool idea :sob:

1 Like