Arwen?

I saw [name]Arwen[/name] on a list of names today and for some reason it stood out. I can’t decide if I like it or not…

Can I get some thoughts on [name]Arwen[/name]?

I like it. [name]Arwen[/name] kind of fits in with [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Elowen[/name]. It definitely sounds a little medieval, like a character from Game of Thrones.

I think it’s pretty. I had it on my list in the past.

I really like it :slight_smile: It probably sounds familiar because it’s one of the names of the lead females in The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings.

We very nearly named [name]Mila[/name] [name]Arwen[/name] instead (you can see we picked a similar middle in the end). The reason we didn’t is because we are [name]New[/name] Zealanders and in 2010 there was way too much LOTR hype - everyone immediately said LOTR as soon as we mentioned the name, and that’s not why we liked it.
Still think it’s beautiful, though - and if you picked it today I think there’d be less fuss about the books/movie.

I could never use it. It’s like naming your baby [name]Luke[/name] Skywalker. I mean, it’s a cool name, but everyone will ALWAYS ask “so, are your parents big Tolkein fans?” It’s pretty, to be sure, but you can’t split the connotation. There’s a singer named [name]Eowyn[/name] and it works for her, but I’m sure she always got asked about it. For some people, it’s a huge plus to name their kid after something they love, and I get that (my favorite name for a girl is [name]Lucy[/name] as in [name]Narnia[/name]) but [name]Arwen[/name] pretty much ONLY has one connotation in American society so you would always get it. There are LOTS of great -wen names out there that I would suggest instead.

Here are a few:
[name]Arianwen[/name]
[name]Anwen[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Elowen[/name]
Eirwen (came up today in another thread)
[name]Tegwen[/name] (I know one)

I love [name]Arwen[/name]! It’s on my long list, so I understand your attraction to it. The name does have the LOTR connection, but [name]Arwen[/name] is a strong and beautiful character, inside and out. She’s a lovely namesake to have if you don’t mind the occasional person pointing out the obvious by asking, “[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings, then?”

Too LOTR for me, but definitely wearable and lovely. Pretty much all -wen names are great imo.
There’s also [name]Anwen[/name], which is more neutral.

I like [name]Arwen[/name].

My friend has a baby names [name]Arwen[/name], at first I wasn’t a big fan but now I think it’s a pretty name!

I don’t mind the LOTR association at all; I’m a big fan of the series, but that’s not why I like the name.

Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else?

[name]Arwen[/name] is a gorgeous and underused name. I think that it’ll follow [name]Juliet[/name]'s lead pretty soon.

I know one [name]Arwen[/name] in her late 20’s. The first time I heard it I wasn’t sure what I was hearing, since it was the first time I encountered an [name]Arwen[/name].

It’s a cool name, but to me it doesn’t sound so feminine, so it’s not my cup of tea.

This is one of the two names my husband and I are considering for our daughter, who will arrive in [name]September[/name], so obviously I think it is a beautiful name!

The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings connection doesn’t really bother us, so if it wouldn’t really bother you either I would say go for it!

I think [name]Arwen[/name] is beautiful.

I know a woman named [name]Arwen[/name], she’s very cool and sophisticated. I really like it.

I think it’s one of those LOTR-names that, pretty as they are, will always be too tied with the books.
I love it, but I would never use it because there would be an endless amount of “so [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings, huh?”. If it’s because of the LOTR connection, I’d say that there are several other beautiful names to take from (there are so many beautiful Elvish names).

My 15-year-old daughter is named [name]Arwen[/name] and, believe it or not, we almost never have people mention [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. My daughter loves her name and wears it so beautifully. She gets compliments on her name all the time. We know of two other Arwens in our area. [name]Both[/name] are around seven years of age. Speaking from experience, don’t let the LOTR association deter you from using such a beautiful name.

Very lovely name. Reminds me of [name]Arden[/name], which has no elvish connections at all. Once people get over asking if you’re a Tolkein fan, I’m sure they’ll forget the LOTR connection altogether and just think of your girl.

As a rule, I really love -wen names but I just don’t like [name]Arwen[/name]. It’s just so harsh to my ear. I always wish it were a long A instead of a short. A as in “air” to start it off is so much prettier than “are” rhymes with [name]Darwin[/name]. That said, I have known of two Arwens, both now would be around 30.