ASD/ Asperger's Thread

Hey everyone!

I just realized I have high-functioning autism (Asperger’s) at 27. It’s explained so much about myself that I couldn’t understand before. I was getting diagnosed with it at 19 but my mom flipped out and didn’t want me to get the diagnosis (stigma fear) so I stopped the process. I scored high on AQ test and my sibling has moderate autism, and my other sibling has bipolar (genetically related to autism). I was then diagnosed generalized anxiety, but now I know my triggers, which they said they couldn’t possibly identify.

I’m going to be getting it officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I made an appointment with my doctor for a referral.

Just hoping to hear from other Aspies and hear your experience and how you got diagnosed (either by yourself or officially). [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to ask questions or share anything you like!

1 Like

I’m autistic as well

1 Like

wow thank you for the thread and for your story! i only got diagnosed this year :open_mouth:, though there were vague considerations earlier on - just not, you know, by doctors, because what non-classical autism on girls am i right

side comment / i appreciate how aspergers is finally merging into being called just autism instead of being set apart as if it’s something completely different, as if we suffered any less.

but at last, everything is finally clear and makes some sense. but it also means i’ve grown up traumatized (so throw in some add, anxiety, depression and unexisting self esteem) and without any support or therapies, which hey, can change your life. one might be slightly bitter.

here’s to all of us finding our place and our happy selves, collecting names all the while.

3 Likes

I made a thread for neurodivergent Berries a while ago, but it hasn’t been active since: Neurodivergent Berries

I have DI [name_u]George[/name_u] Syndrome which is also a neurodiverse condition, but I think I might also be mildly autistic (cannot get any appointments though to test at the moment because of Coronavirus).

1 Like

I feel you on the bitterness… It’s hard thinking how much easier my life could’ve been had I just been tested. I had so many signs, like toe walking and hyperlexia. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother was diagnosed with ASD when I was 7. I feel because his signs were more obvious, my struggles were overlooked. The joys of masking as a girl :slight_smile: also being a high grade student, no alarms ever go off and no one thinks to ask you how hard it actually is to perform.

3 Likes

Aawh that’s not fun… I’m hoping Covid doesn’t slow the process where I live. And you’re more than welcome in this thread!

1 Like

It’s now all ASD apparently! Asperger’s is an outdated term now but people use it still to describe “high functioning” ASD

3 Likes

I’m ASD as well, was diagnosed with it and a few comorbid things at 25 (which was recently, I’ll be 26 next week). I actually recently spoke on a podcast about my experience :slight_smile:

And @_theresa, your story is so similar to mine! Hyperlexia and toe walking, my performance in school being a barrier to diagnosis… if you ever want to chat, my inbox is open!

Honestly ASD is one of the reasons I’m here— names are one of my special interests. :wink:

3 Likes

Same here! Haha I’ll send you a message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for asking! Understanding ASD is so important and helpful for everyone!
ASD is a spectrum, like a circular ,colour spectrum where various symptoms are present and others not for different people with ASD, and at varying degrees of intensity.
In a really broad definition, I’d describe it as

• Hyper and/or hyposensitivity to stimulation in our environment (light, sounds, touch), difficulty identifying and expressing emotions, higher executive functioning issues (coordination, understanding instructions, planning, organizing)
  • Difficulty with social cues, especially eye contact, which most find uncomfortable
  • Need for routine
  • Meltdowns and “social hangovers” from overstimulation or overdoing things socially
  • Special interests which can border on obsessive, which we are eager to discuss and often can’t stop talking about
  • Seemingly self-centered or egotistical, but this is due to a lack of social awareness, not typically narcissism
5 Likes

Hahah fantastic!

1 Like

Errm hi. [name_f]My[/name_f] therapist thinks I’m autistic and so do my parents and I’m quite scared/confused.

3 Likes

@Tildabob Nothing to be afraid of! ASD has its super powers too. Maybe seek some guidance from a therapist or a counselor to help you cope with the new diagnosis. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] all is well, sorry for the late reply. Haven’t been on in a long time! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to message me any time :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s nice to see this thread again. Does anyone else hold their pencil the autistic way?

2 Likes

I also have Asperger’s Syndrome. I was diagnosed at the age of three. It’s really nice to see a thread that unites us!

I use a similar grip when I hold my pencil - and I guess I haven’t thought about it for over a decade and a half!

Autistic gang gang gang! I had the privilege to get diagnosed as autistic at age 2. And yeah, I do hold pencils and styli Like That™️. I feel that the internet is a safe place where I don’t constantly have to mask, helping lessen the autistic burnout.

I have a feeling that my dad may be autistic as well. I mean, his dad certainly is. Grandpa Jack’s special interest is his French Canadian ancestry, especially one Anne Julien, one of the Filles du Roy sent by King Louis XIV to New France to marry the settlers. I remember all this because he talks about it to me every chance he gets.

(Just a heads-up, we prefer the term “autistic person/people” as opposed to “people with autism”.)

What are everyone here’s special interests? Mine are onomastics, etymology, languages (especially of the engineered minimalistic variety), procedural generation, voice acting, anime, RPGs, and for some reason, one specific Char Clone-equivalent from a Japan-exclusive SRPG released 6-7 years before I was born.

2 Likes

I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more posts in this thread.
I connected the dots and realized that I had Asperger’s while doing a school project when I was 18. It explained so much for me. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom is on the spectrum too. We’re both toe walkers, too.

I’m not officially diagnosed but my therapist who specializes in autism, adhd, and OCD agrees that I have a lot of the traits. It’s expensive to get diagnosed, especially as an adult- I’m going to get tested for ADHD because I think there might be medication that could be useful but I’m not sure what an ASD diagnosis would do for me except that I would know and not feel like an imposter.

I am Austistic as well