Asian-American Starbabies

I love following celebrity baby names, and as an [name_f]Asian[/name_f]-American, I particularly am interested in the naming trends among modern [name_f]Asian[/name_f] couples.

This is not to portray them as necessarily different from names given by celebrities overall.

However, there are several factors that I think are particularly interesting about [name_f]Asian[/name_f] names. Some of the surnames in [name_f]Asian[/name_f] countries are extremely common and makes it all the more important to find a distinctive first. It’s also nice to have a name that transitions into the parent’s native language.

Here are some of my favorite baby names within the [name_f]Asian[/name_f]-American celebrity universe! What are yours?

Gene Luen Yang and [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] Yang: Kolbe

Harry Shum [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. and [name_u]Shelby[/name_u] Rabara: [name_f]Xia[/name_f]

Laura Ling and [name_m]Iain[/name_m] [name_m]Clayton[/name_m]: [name_u]Li[/name_u] and [name_u]Kai[/name_u]

John [name_f]Cho[/name_f] and [name_f]Kerri[/name_f] Higuchi: [name_m]Kage[/name_m]

10 Likes

Really interesting to see!

I admit I am neither American nor [name_f]Asian[/name_f], so this isn’t a trend/topic I’m particularly well-versed in, unfortunately!

Definitely! This is something I see come up a fair bit here on the forums. Perhaps I’m jumping the gun a bit by basing this off the five names you’ve given, but it seems like trendy, modern names are the way to go*. They’re understandable and recognizable pretty much universally, and even if people haven’t heard them before, they are very easy to pronounce and get used to.

Of all of these, I think [name_f]Xia[/name_f] is my favorite. I assume she’s partially Chinese? I feel like it’s a great nod to Chinese heritage, but also very adaptable in [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking countries. As Nameberry themselves says, it’s a great alternative to [name_f]Mia[/name_f] or [name_f]Tia[/name_f], so very easy for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to spell and pronounce.

*These names aren’t all modern or trendy, but they share many sounds with names that are!

3 Likes

Of all of these, I think Xia is my favorite. I assume she’s partially Chinese?

Yes! [name_u]Harry[/name_u] Shum [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. is of Chinese descent.

These are other sibsets that I am obsessed with.

[name_u]Lisa[/name_u] Ling and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] Song: [name_u]Jett[/name_u] (F) and [name_u]Ray[/name_u] (F)

[name_u]Ali[/name_u] [name_m]Wong[/name_m] and [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Hakuta: [name_f]Mari[/name_f] and [name_u]Nikki[/name_u]

[name_f]Maya[/name_f] Soetoro-[name_u]Ng[/name_u] and [name_m]Konrad[/name_m] [name_u]Ng[/name_u]: Suhaila and [name_f]Savita[/name_f]

Soovin [name_u]Kim[/name_u] and [name_f]Gloria[/name_f] Chien: [name_u]Nolan[/name_u] and [name_m]Ryne[/name_m]

1 Like

Oh wow! [name_f]Xia[/name_f] is beautiful!

1 Like

Xia is so gorgeous! It feels like a perfect modern [name_f]Asian[/name_f]-American name that ticks a lot of boxes for them

1 Like