Associations/Resume/Impressions

In short; I have a list of names I am considering that have some associations that are good, fair and not the best. I’d like to know your opinions on them, if you saw any of these on a resume (with a short, very [name]German[/name] last name) what would you think? I know that names don’t matter as much as qualifications and interviews etc. but they do make an impression. I want a name that is distinctive, but isn’t the sole topic of conversation. [name]General[/name] impressions would be nice too, I guess.

[name]Felicity[/name]; Does the collegiate T.V show by the same name make it downmarket?
[name]Fiona[/name]; Same as above, with Shrek?
[name]Pandora[/name]; The (awesome) free online radio station and the jewelry company…
[name]Cordelia[/name]; Rather neutral
[name]Clementine[/name]; The song…and the Southern/British vibe. Which is it?
[name]Jemima[/name]; (in the States) Can the syrup association be overlooked?
[name]Guinevere[/name]; the mythical queen is cool, except would people automatically think “adulterer?”

To be honest, if I saw a name like [name]Pandora[/name] or [name]Jemima[/name], I’d want to meet the person. They would stand out for me in a world of people named [name]Brooke[/name] and [name]Britney[/name]. The only name that might make a lackluster impression on me is [name]Felicity[/name]. I’m not sure if it’s the TV show that did it, or just the sound of it. But the name feels lightweight.

Oh, and I get a distinct Southern vibe from [name]Clementine[/name]. It’s on my longer short list, and I think it sounds spunky and lovely.

[name]Felicity[/name] also calls to mind the American Girl Dolls for me. I never saw the TV show, but I remember it and can easily picture the main character…for some reason the show and the girl struck me as quite boring when I was in high school and it was popular.
[name]Fiona[/name]- I never saw Shrek and I like the name [name]Fiona[/name]. I don’t know if the character has a negative connotation?
[name]Pandora[/name]- Sadly I just think of those ugly bracelets! The radio thing too…and the Real Housewife of [name]Beverly[/name] Hills has a daughter called this. The name is very British to me.
[name]Cordelia[/name]- This is sweet and old fashioned and the most neutral of your names…she was a character on [name]Buffy[/name] the Vampire Slayer so I think of that, but I really don’t think this is a strong association for most people.
[name]Clementine[/name]- Oh my darling and [name]Eternal[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name] of the Spotless Mind…I also don’t really like the sound and it also strikes me as British.
[name]Jemima[/name]- Not something I could see working in the US…I think pancakes or Kahn…Maybe [name]Jemma[/name]? [name]Even[/name] [name]Mimosa[/name] would be better imo.

My vote goes to [name]Cordelia[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name]…but like I said I never saw Shrek…if [name]Fiona[/name] is a fat green man it might not be as good a choice as I think!

[name]Felicity[/name] - I like this name. I remember the American Girl myself. It also makes me think of a really happy person.
[name]Fiona[/name] - I really can’t get over the Shrek association with this one.
[name]Pandora[/name] - This makes me think of the planet on Avatar, overall even without that ass. I can’t take this name seriously.
[name]Cordelia[/name]- I absolutely love this name!
[name]Clementine[/name] - I feel neutral with this name, no associations.
[name]Jemima[/name] - This is not a name I think works at all! IT gives me a negative association. I agree that [name]Jemma[/name] could work though.

Out of your list I feel like [name]Felicity[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name] are best, but [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Jemma[/name] (not [name]Jemima[/name]) would work too.

I’m aware of the show, but I think of [name]Felicity[/name] Huffman (the actress) and she has a strong, but respectable personality from what I saw on an interview of her. I would be neutral as far as this name and a resume. It’s not the strongest name, but it’s not silly at all either.

[name]Fiona[/name] is a pretty name. This name makes me think of a confident and popular woman, which is something I would think good for a business. So, this one would look good on a resume to me.

[name]Pandora[/name] makes me think of mythology and, frankly, seems a bit out-there. I wouldn’t dismiss someone from consideration for a job because of that name, but it would make me wonder if she’d be flighty.

[name]Cordelia[/name] is a nice name. It makes me think of a serious and professional woman. No problems, for me, with that name at all.

[name]Clementine[/name] sounds Southern to me. I would expect that woman to be friendly and maybe a bit of flirt. The name is neutral for me as far as resumes.

[name]Jemima[/name] does make me think of syrup, sorry. It makes me think of someone who works hard, but has a bit of a bland personality.

Depends on what field you anticipate going into.
Business: [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] (but NMS)

Design/arts based:
[name]Pandora[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Felicity[/name]

Overall I can imagine a [name]Felicity[/name] in more varied work. She sounds bubbly but also fun and astute.

emiliaj

Well, I work as a photographer, so assuming I was the boss, I can assure you that any of these names would be fine on a resume at my office.

[name]Felicity[/name]; I don’t know the show personally, but I don’t like this name. It’s not my style
[name]Fiona[/name]; My daughter loves Shrek so that’s all I think first, but [name]Fiona[/name] is a stunner of a name and I love it.
[name]Pandora[/name]; I like it well enough. If she were my daughter I’d be likely to call her Panda.
[name]Cordelia[/name]; It’s not my style
[name]Clementine[/name]; It’s also not my style
[name]Jemima[/name]; This one is okay. [name]Jemma[/name] is a good nickname, but I think I’m liking that more than the actual name.

Thanks for the feedback! I waffle over [name]Pandora[/name]…one minute it’s a strong and pretty, the next its too much. I like the Nameberry description of “used by [name]Britain[/name]'s horsey set” though. I really wish [name]Jemima[/name] was not a syrup brand, it seems to ruin a perfectly good name. Im also on the fence about [name]Clementine[/name] - it’s fun to say, not frilly, a nice alternative to [name]Caroline[/name]. But is it too fun?

This is for me, by the way, I’m 19. I’m in the midst of a liberal arts education, probably going to become a journalist/editor/architect. :slight_smile:

[name]Felicity[/name] - I like it. I like virtue names though [name]Felicity[/name] is sort of in the nice middle ground between [name]Grace[/name]'s popularity and people going all “what?” about [name]Amity[/name]/[name]Verity[/name]. I do think of American Girl dolls.

[name]Fiona[/name] - I just think a very Irish first name with a very [name]German[/name] last name sounds a bit funny.

[name]Pandora[/name] - [name]Pandora[/name], the cursed prophetess? Well, I guess its better than [name]Jezebel[/name] or [name]Delilah[/name], and more interesting than [name]Cassandra[/name]. [name]Do[/name] sort of think [name]Penelope[/name] would be considerably better.

[name]Cordelia[/name] - Classy, Shakespearean.

[name]Clementine[/name] - Not a fan. [name]TINE[/name] or TEEN ending changes where it sounds from, can’t guess from a resume.

[name]Jemima[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like it, but gives a better impression than a made up name. Prefer [name]Jessamine[/name] or [name]Gemma[/name] or even [name]Juniper[/name] though.

[name]Felicity[/name] - i don’t think the TV show negatively impacted this name, it is just one of hundreds of names used on TV and was used long before it came out, and I really love it. I think of a fun-loving, genuine person.
[name]Fiona[/name] - again, used long before the movie, and very pretty. I think of someone like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name].
[name]Pandora[/name] - the first thing I think of is [name]Pandora[/name]'s box, but I think the name is pretty enough to overlook all the associations. My mom, however, thinks it’s ridiculous.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - gorgeous, and the only thing I can think of is the character from [name]Buffy[/name] the Vampire Slayer, but she wasn’t a truly major character and most (I think) have forgotten her. I think it is a very elegant and sophisticated choice.
[name]Clementine[/name] - I just think oranges. It’s nice, it has the same kind of appeal [name]Claudia[/name] does, but a little more spunky. Not my style, and I personally don’t see the appeal, but I also don’t see anything wrong with it.
[name]Jemima[/name] - I don’t think people are ready for [name]Jemima[/name], no matter how gorgeous she is. My mother cringed and made a weird grunt when I mentioned it (she is 62).

I like [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name] best.

I imagine in ten, twenty years when these names will be on real job applications, employers will be relieved to see any of these in comparison to Aayden, J’den, [name]Bentley[/name], and La-a.

I’m changing my name, so this would be on a job application in three years, actually! There are some odd names on the SS list for 1992, though, so maybe your comment still applies.

[name]Felicity[/name]; The TV show was on a pretty long time ago. I’ve never seen it. If I saw this name I’d be like, hmm, unusual name but pretty cool.
[name]Fiona[/name]; Personally, I just think of [name]Fiona[/name] from Shrek.
[name]Pandora[/name]; I just think of the mythology story (she let out all of the terrible things into the world right?) and the planet from Avatar nowadays.
[name]Cordelia[/name]; It’s a fine name, but I personally associate it all the way with [name]King[/name] Lear. Dunno if that’s a bad association or not, but it’s not a happy ending.
[name]Clementine[/name]; I merely hate this name. It’s a name for a snobby little British girl in my mind and I probably wouldn’t take it seriously if I saw it on a resume, no offence.
[name]Jemima[/name]; Unfortunately it’s the syrup all the way for me.
[name]Guinevere[/name]; I don’t know the story of [name]Guinevere[/name], it’s just a very “fantasy” name to me. I think [name]Gwen[/name]/[name]Gwyneth[/name]/[name]Gwendolyn[/name] are much prettier.

I am an Aussie and would adore to meet a [name]Jemima[/name] she would certainly stand out for all the right reasons for me
[name]Pandora[/name] of course is a rather flamboyant name with a few unpleasant ties but I think it is pretty as long as it isn’t shortened to [name]Dora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] are boring
[name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] would get to an interview in the workplace for sure I love those names!

I would probably give the job to [name]Jemima[/name] though.

rollo

rollo, does the Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] syrup exist in Australia? I guess not. :wink: Thanks for your input!

So, [name]Jemima[/name]'s crossed off because I’m not planning on moving to Australia or [name]England[/name] permanently, at least currently. [name]Felicity[/name] sounds a bit wishy-washy now, next to [name]Pandora[/name].

[name]Felicity[/name]: Nothing negative for me at all. I like it a lot.
[name]Fiona[/name]: Sorry, straight Shrek reference for me.
[name]Pandora[/name]: I think of the myth story.
[name]Cordelia[/name]: Neutral. I like it, but nothing negative comes to mind at all.
[name]Clementine[/name]: Reminds me of an episode of [name]Even[/name] Stevens, but that’s it. I don’t think of the song, or of a British vibe.
[name]Jemima[/name]: I do think of the syrup, but I think if spelled it [name]Gemima[/name], you’d be totally fine.
[name]Guinevere[/name]: I do not think adulterer at all. I think of a strong, capable woman.

No syrup in Australia

Considering those occupations, I think that [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name] are the best names. They seem the most professional, while still being nice names. Although I really like [name]Caroline[/name], too, and think it would work very well.

I like [name]Caroline[/name] too, but my (bratty) first cousin is [name]Caroline[/name]. [name]Sister[/name] to [name]Jaqueline[/name], actually.

I think the negative connotations with [name]Pandora[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] are too strong. [name]Pandora[/name] doesn’t sound like a real person’s name to me, it is too strongly tied to the mythology, and generates off color jokes about [name]Pandora[/name]'s box. [name]Jemima[/name] has a tough time in US, not just because of the syrup itself but because the Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] figure has been perceived as racist throughout time.
[name]Clementine[/name] is ok, very Southern to me, but my problem with it mostly is that I don’t like [name]Clem[/name]/[name]Clemmy[/name].
[name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] are all fine imo, I particularly love [name]Felicity[/name] and agree with previous posters that it seems versatile (I think [name]Fiona[/name] does too).

[name]Felicity[/name] - This is an old show isn’t it? Like not made anymore? It sounds familiar but I don’t know anything about it. I think of the American Girl with this name. I always loved her because she was a redhead :slight_smile:

[name]Fiona[/name] - I do kinda get the Shrek association but I don’t think it’s a bad one. She’s a pretty cool character (with red hair of course, can you guess what color my hair is? Haha). I’d actually consider this or [name]Felicity[/name] (or [name]Felicia[/name]) but my fiance’s last name starts with an F and I’m not the biggest fan of the alliteration.

[name]Pandora[/name] - My first thought is the radio service, then [name]Pandora[/name]'s box. I don’t think this is established enough as a name outside of those references. I wouldn’t necessarily look down on anyone for choosing/having the name, I’d just think it was interesting and maybe a little weird.

[name]Cordelia[/name] - I like this name a lot. It’s in a [name]Shakespeare[/name] play right? I think I may not have read it or just forgot the name being in there because I don’t have that association. I don’t have any other associations either other than it being a beautiful name!

[name]Clementine[/name] - Blech. I can’t explain how much I dislike this name (sorry to those who like it). It’s a fruit to me. And I think of the annoying song. It’s a “cutesy” name that isn’t cute at all.

[name]Jemima[/name] - I don’t think a lot of people really know the full story behind it anymore. I think everyone will think of the syrup and think it’s a weird name, but until I started looking more into baby names, I didn’t know the racial issues behind the advertising. Maybe I’m wrong but I think a lot of people wouldn’t think about it, but would think it’s weird to name a baby after syrup.

[name]Guinevere[/name] - I don’t know the story so I definitely don’t think of that. I think it’s a pretty name. NMS personally but it is a great name. I don’t think the majority of people would think of something negative other than it not being their taste.

ETA - [name]Just[/name] read this is for yourself, I wrote this as if it was for a baby. Sorry!