Associations with Perpetua, and how do you pronounce it and various similar words?

I think of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a comedic group.

I think of nuns in general and of [name_m]Monty[/name_m] Python though I don’t know why.

I also think of perps.

So I am not a big fan! (Not that I have anything against nuns)

1 Like

I don’t know much at all about the saint, but I would assume that the parents of a [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] were hardcore Catholics.

2 Likes

This is an interesting angle to explore. I might hazard a guess that the suggestions of a dark or solemn undercurrent primarily come from name’s similarity to the word ‘perpetrator’ and the abundance of short, sharp plosive sounds. It needn’t be a conscious association to have an effect on the way we receive the name.

I don’t personally have any prior associations to the name itself and haven’t heard it used anywhere. [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] does come across a bit cold to me visually and aurally. It feels more word than name. I think the unfamiliarity of the name in combination with the strong lexical links makes the name seem intellectual and more impersonal. The syllabic stress makes little difference to me.

2 Likes

Agreed. You can perpetuate values and ideals, too. And this is the exact reason [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] remains so high up my list.

Definitely good to mention. I have looked into both a bit, I love the connections between these names considering that my other biological child is a F3l1x.

These are qualities I’m aiming to capture in the name to some degree. :slightly_smiling_face:

If it had put me off it, we wouldn’t still be here with her on my shortlist. I agree I get slightly austere vibes but I’m a slightly austere person so I can see that working.

Sounds like an interesting course. I’m glad the name is growing on you.

Hmm, I hadn’t made the connection to my mind yet with perpetrate, perpetrator.

I think that taking into account everything everyone is saying here, my image of the name does capture some warmth, but a warmth that is hard to capture. I sort of see her like a single taper candle (again, could be greatly religious or spiritual in connotation, but doesn’t have to be) burning in a dark, drafty room. The name is rather bright and warm, but a tall spiky warmth with little room for movement or flexibility. She has both capacity for darkness and light in her. Unadorned and straightforward, yet also ancient, a tad fanciful, and stubborn in both the best and worst of ways. I still quite like her.

4 Likes

I meant to mention this on your Babybucket post. I love [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] on paper, but aloud they sound… incomplete? Awkward? I pronounce [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] like perpetual and perpetuate… “per-pe-CHOO-uh,” but it seems like it should be a soft t sound instead. Like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], I’d like the name more if I ever felt confident saying it!

That being said, I still love the name and agree with @katinka that Perpetua nn Petra is inspired!

2 Likes

Me too lol. I do like it but because of that association, it’s always kind of comical to me.

That and [name_f]Oona[/name_f]! “[name_m]Just[/name_m] stir it, [name_f]Oona[/name_f]!”

2 Likes