Associations with the name Blythe

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have had a heck of a time naming our little girl to be who should be joining us within weeks. We’ve both come to think of the baby as [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f], but neither of us are completely convinced. We recognize that we have very fond associations with the name [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] because we have an amazing and dear friend with that name. We also like that it has associations with happiness, as does our son’s name, [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. That said, I also know that our families will have a tough time with it and that we’ll probably get some other negative feedback. I’m looking for feedback from the nameberry community to get a sense of whether it’s a name that we only like due to the positive associations and that everyone else thinks is weird, or whether we should go for it! Please tell me your reactions and associations with the name Blythe, good or bad. Thank you all!

I like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] even though it’s not my style at all. I think it’s versatile (I can imagine a tomboy and a little ballerina) and the meaning is beautiful. Some people might associate it with the doll, but I honestly don’t think it’s a big problem.

I don’t think its a weird name at all - it’s a timeless, pretty name. If you love it then use it, and don’t worry too much about what other people think.

It’s a gorgeous name, go for it. :slight_smile: [name_f]My[/name_f] younger sister went to school with a girl called [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and she was very shy but yet so sweet.

It reminds me a bit of scythe… the cutting tool.

I love [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]! I have a lovely friend named [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], but I also like the name without that association as well–lovely meaning, warm sound… To me, it’s just a very inviting, happy name :slight_smile:

I also reminds me of a scythe.

I think of [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] from the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables series. It’s a lovely name.

I like this name too, I also have positive associations of it from ‘[name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables’. It’s unusual but I think it’s very pretty and very usable. I actually really like it paired with [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

I love this name! I think of ‘[name_f]Blithe[/name_f] [name_f]Spirit[/name_f]’ :slight_smile:

I think it’s lovely.

Some people might associate it with a scythe, but I don’t think that is a big enough reason not to use it :wink:

It sounds great with [name_m]Asher[/name_m]

Our own [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is 7months old, I hope I can help you! Our families reacted positively to the name, although we’ve certainly had the odd quizzical look from some strangers who’ve asked. It’s fairly unfamiliar to people where we live in Australia, and for this reason we’ve found ourselves having to spell it out to some people, and we’ve had others assume from her name that she’s a boy (this was a bit of a surprise!?!)
Having said that, we are in no way experiencing name regret. I find [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] to be a beautifully simple name that’s both sweet and strong, and established but unusual. In my eyes it’s equally at home on a small baby or a grown lady and it’s meaning embodies everything we wish for our little girl as she makes her way through life. Good luck with your decision!

1 Like