Astrid Alexandra for little girl?

Hi there!

I’m half [name_u]French[/name_u] half Brazilian but living in the UK and married to a [name_u]Brit[/name_u]. We will likely stay here long term. We both love the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] for our little girl due in [name_f]September[/name_f] - but having researched are a little worried abou the US office reference of ***turd - which we didn’t know about! I think in the UK the association will be less - but any thoughts welcome!! One torn mama over here as I still LOVE the name, but don’t want my little girl to get teased!

1 Like

I am living in the United States and I’ve actually never heard [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] referred to as that profanity. I’ve never watch The Office though. I still don’t believe it would be an issue and it’s such a lovely name!

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry, @llgh :wave:

As a [name_u]Brit[/name_u], I can confidently say that [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is fantastic :grin:

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a very cool name in the UK – fashionable, but not common, and very distinctive. It’s got a great meaning and a lovely strong sound.

I don’t think the US Office reference should put you off. As you say, that’s less well known over here and also was over a decade ago. By the time your [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and her peers are old enough to watch The Office, that joke will be 25+ years old.

:+1: from me!

2 Likes

I know an [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] in the UK and no one has teased her name. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is great

I love the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and agree with the others; it’s very unlikely to inspire any bullying and, like in [name_f]England[/name_f], I’d say here in Australia it’s considered a spunky, unique (but not too ‘out there’) name for a girl. I haven’t watched The US office but as someone else said, our kids will unlikely even know of The Office as they grow up. I definitely wouldn’t let it put you off. If my partner liked [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] I would have considered it for my daughter!

1 Like

Astrid [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is so beautiful! I live in the US, and have never heard that reference made before. I agree it probably won’t be an issue, especially where you are!

1 Like

I live in the UK. The only [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] I know is an older woman. I’ve never heard anyone say anything unflattering about her name. [name_f]My[/name_f] other association with the name is [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren, who wrote the Pippi Longstocking children’s book.

I’ve never watched the US Office - I’ve only heard of the joke because of Nameberry. So I don’t think teasing is guaranteed, though of course teasing is possible with any name.

2 Likes

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is a gorgeous name for a girl! I wouldn’t worry about that negative association. If you love the name, use it! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a stunning unique choice, associated with royalty :crown: and literature :books:. It also has a beautiful meaning!
The only thing I would consider is that [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a little hard to pronounce in Portuguese.

I love Astrid Alexandra, absolutely gorgeous. I live in the US and have never heard this joke. In fact, I have heard the name being used for characters in other US shows & movies, and there have never been any associated jokes. I found the name to be delightful and fell for it when I heard it in these shows/movies. I don’t think you’ll have any issues, especially being outside the US.

I’m in the US and I know the episode you’re referring to but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s a beautiful name with a great meaning and a long history. I really love the combo of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]. Very regal sounding. :blush:

I’m in the US, and I’ve never heard the joke either. I’ve always liked the name, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is a lovely combination!

I love it!
From the UK and it’s such a fab combination of names

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]! I don’t think the Office reference is going to be a problem. Honestly, I think the more immediate association would be [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] from [name_m]How[/name_m] to Train Your Dragon.

2 Likes

I would never have thought of The Office.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], but I would change ‘[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]’ to ‘[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]’, as I think it flows better.