Astrid or Ástríður?

Personally I prefer Ástríður even though the spelling is quite problematic. It is the Icelandic form of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. It is really rare tho. I really like the ancient norse feeling of Ástríður. It makes the name sound and look so beautiful and aesthetic.

1 Like

I would stick with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]

5 Likes

The Icelandic form looks super cool but is much less practical in real life, unless you’re in Iceland. I just adore [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! Such a magical, ethereal name, and so strong too.

3 Likes

Unless you’re in Iceland, I would stick with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

7 Likes

i fell in love with the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] after I watched [name_m]How[/name_m] to train your Dragon. That name is so viking sounding lol. If HTYD was real I bet [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]’s name would be spelled like Ástríðr which is the ancient form of the name. I guess i just like Ástríður because it is so similar to old norse.

Where do you live? If you live in Iceland/are Icelandic, if you live in a close country or in a region with a good Icelandic community I think you should go with Ástríður.
If not, I would stick with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

1 Like

Honestly I think Ástríður is absolutely stunning but depending on where you live (I’m in the U.S.) I’m not even 100% sure you can use ð in a legal name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] Á and í would be controversial in some places. If it’s legal and you truly love it, I wouldn’t rule it out without knowing where you’re located, and if it weren’t for ð I would definitely say go for it!

1 Like

i live in usa. i’m just a random name nerd who loves giving weird names to fictional characters.

2 Likes

If it’s for a character then definitely it’s usable! I’d love to see that name in a book.

5 Likes

Agreed with @midwinter! Perfectly fine for a fictional character! I love the way it looks!

4 Likes

well I’m gonna try to make that happen lol. best anime character name i can think of

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. I’m not sure if I’m just stupid but honest question, am I supposed to know how Ástríður is pronounced? Because I don’t have a single clue lol.

3 Likes

In the US, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is definitely the way to go!

2 Likes

I’m Swedish and can understand a little bit of Icelandish. They pronounce words phonetically for the most part, so it would be Astridur ah-stri-dor. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is very common in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] because of our beloved children’s book author [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren, author of [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] Longstocking among others.

3 Likes

While that spelling is lovely, it will be difficult for her throughout her life to have her name pronounced correctly. For that reason, I would stick with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name btw!

1 Like

if you use scandinavian pronunciation it is [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-streeder i think

1 Like

I’m definitely voting for [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

2 Likes

For a character, I see no issues with Ástríður. On a baby, however, there definitely would be pronunciation and possibly legal issues especially in the US so I would stick with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. Although, I prefer [name_f]Astra[/name_f], [name_f]Aster[/name_f], [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] and [name_f]Esther[/name_f] as I find [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] a little too harsh with the d sound at the end…

1 Like

Me either

2 Likes

How do you pronounce Ástríđur?

4 Likes