At a stalemate with names. Please help!!

We are due in [name]April[/name] with a little girl, and cannot agree on a name. We’ve narrowed our list down to six names, but can’t seem to get any further. Here’s our list:

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Paityn[/name] (husband’s favorite)
[name]Virginia[/name]

We already have a son named [name]Caleb[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]. The main problem is that I can find fault with all the names. Any and all input is very much welcomed! Thank you!

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Abigail[/name]: I think it’s a beautiful name, and I can easily see [name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name] together. ([name]Abigail[/name] is very popular, which may or may not be an issue for you…)

[name]Caroline[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]! I can see [name]Caroline[/name] with [name]Caleb[/name], but because of the C theme, I like some of the other names on your list better with [name]Caleb[/name].

[name]Hope[/name]: I really love [name]Hope[/name], too… (I love [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Hope[/name], [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name], and [name]Hope[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]…)

[name]Jocelyn[/name]: I can better see the classic names with [name]Caleb[/name]…

[name]Paityn[/name] (husband’s favorite): This one is very trendy to me, especially the spelling. [name]Even[/name] with the original [name]Peyton[/name] spelling, it feels trendy to me, and very different in style from [name]Caleb[/name] (and the other names on your list.) I can’t see this spelling on a professional adult, but I really like the other names on your list!

[name]Virginia[/name]: I think it’s really pretty and I can see it with [name]Caleb[/name], but I like some of the other names more. (Teasing is possible with any name, but [name]Virginia[/name] just seems to be one with built-in teasing potential. I knew a [name]Virginia[/name] who was teased with virgin jokes, and there’s an SNL skit in which a woman named [name]Virginia[/name] pronounces her name in a way that sounds deliberately close to vagina. Teasing potential is the only real drawback I can see with [name]Virginia[/name].)

With [name]Caleb[/name], my favorites on your list are [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Hope[/name]. Because of the C theme with [name]Caroline[/name], I’ll vote for [name]Abigail[/name] or [name]Hope[/name], or [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name].

(I think that [name]Caleb[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] is very handsome!) :slight_smile:

In case you’re stuck because none of these names is “the one,” you may also like:

[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Biblical:

[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Virginia[/name] are my favorites from your list.
[name]Caroline[/name] is a good solid, classic name…I just have a bias from knowing a horrible [name]Carolyn[/name] in my life…
let us know what you name her (:

[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name]!

[name]Abigail[/name] gets my vote! I think it works beautifully with [name]Caleb[/name]:slight_smile: Have you thought about [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] with [name]Caleb[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]?

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I like [name]Virginia[/name] the best, second [name]Caroline[/name] cause then you would have two c’s.

[name]Abigail[/name] - it is reasonably popular, but I think this one is nice. Names which give me the same vibe are [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Honora[/name] or [name]Annora[/name].
[name]Caroline[/name] - I adore this one, and it would get my vote … however, personally I think that [name]Caroline[/name] is too to [name]Caleb[/name] for comfort … [name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Coralie[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name]?
[name]Hope[/name] - this is nice, but one of the ever so slightly dated virtue names in my mind. [name]How[/name] about [name]Rose[/name] (another pretty one-syllable name) or [name]Verity[/name], [name]Amity[/name] or [name]Felicity[/name]?
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - this one seems a little dated to me … how about [name]Josephine[/name]?
[name]Paityn[/name] - this one seems very, very trendy to me. [name]How[/name] about [name]Paige[/name] or [name]Grace[/name] (both quite popular, and [name]Paige[/name] would not be my personal style, but I think they are vast improvements on [name]Paityn[/name]!).
[name]Virginia[/name] - I laughed a little when I saw this next to [name]Paityn[/name]! I love this one, but unfortunately teasing abounds, and I would not recommend using it. [name]How[/name] about [name]Genevra[/name], [name]Geneva[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name]?

Good luck!

Personally, I really like [name]Abigail[/name]. I think [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Abigail[/name] flow well together and are a lovely match!

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Abigail[/name] – definitely! Goes great with [name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] – yes, except for the C factor
[name]Hope[/name] – yes!
[name]Jocelyn[/name] – I don’t see this with [name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Paityn[/name] (husband’s favorite) – no, too trendy
[name]Virginia[/name] – not a favorite

I choose [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Hope[/name].

[name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name] sound great together.

Another vote for [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name]. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

[name]Abigail[/name]'s popularity bothers me a little. Although, it doesn’t seem as popular among babies being born in my area. I’ve never been a huge fan of [name]Abby[/name], either.

I love [name]Caroline[/name], but don’t love that both of my children would have C names. I would feel obligated to give future children C names, too, if we ever were to have any.

[name]Hope[/name] isn’t a name I ever saw myself using. I’m normally not a fan of single syllable names, and it sounds a little off with our last name.

[name]Jocelyn[/name] is the name I tried to compromise with husband to get him away from [name]Paityn[/name], lol. It didn’t work. I really wanted [name]Josephine[/name] with the nickname [name]Josie[/name], but husband hates it.

[name]Paityn[/name] is entirely against my typical naming style. I’m considering it simply because husband likes it so much. Then again, he wouldn’t consider my [name]Daisy[/name]. =) I hate that it is so trendy, and that it rhymes with so many other trendy names. ([name]Brayden[/name]/[name]Caden[/name]/[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Hayden[/name]/[name]Aiden[/name].)

[name]Virginia[/name] is a long time favorite, but I don’t like the teasing potential, or that it is a place name.

I suppose it basically boils down to what bothers me least, lol.

Thanks again!

I like them all except paityn.

tell your husband that your baby girl will have constant issues with people miss-spelling this name. i you must go with this name then please spell it the correct way - peyton.

your other names are way better and fit with the classic style of caleb.

my favorite is hope.

I definitely love [name]Abigail[/name] (because of the nickname [name]Abbie[/name]) and I think, from your list, that is my top choice - I agree with all the [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name] fans!

I personally despise the name [name]Caroline[/name], I have a very close friend with that name but…it’s so excruciatingly boring and I wouldn’t want to stick anybody with that name. It’s also very popular, and has been for some time (so is [name]Abigail[/name], but not as overwhelmingly so).

[name]Hope[/name] is a nice choice, but one of those names that has an obvious meaning, whereas something like [name]Abigail[/name] is just a pretty name.

[name]Paityn[/name] irks me. Not only the rather cutesy spelling, but just the trend factor, and that I don’t think it works well with [name]Caleb[/name].

[name]Virginia[/name]…my home state, but a rather frumpy name, and as pointed out, prime teasing material. The SNL skit is hilarious though.

If nicknames are your thing and you were looking at [name]Virginia[/name] for [name]Ginny[/name], go with [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Ginevra[/name]!!! And if your daughter is a reader and gets her hands on [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], if her name is [name]Ginevra[/name], chances are she will think you’re the coolest mom [name]EVER[/name]. I know I would =D

Anyways, congratulations on your baby girl and don’t stress about the name choices! These are all great options!

[name]Abigail[/name] doesn’t seem popular in my area, either. I only know one [name]Abigail[/name] personally (even though I’ve worked halftime in a daycare for almost a year now), and nobody has ever called her ‘[name]Abby[/name]’. Her mother calls her [name]Abigail[/name], so that’s what everyone else her. Maybe that will ease your mind a little bit. :slight_smile:

[name]Sigourney[/name]

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Hope[/name] is nice too, just not as interesting in my opinion.

I agree entirely with the thoughts [name]Jill[/name] gave you previously, and have to cast my vote for [name]Abigail[/name]. It’s a classic and beautiful name!

Would you consider the nn [name]Ginny[/name] for [name]Virginia[/name]?

Good luck to you!

I’m going to borrow some of these stats from [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s recent blog post about the true top ten, but if you’re worried about popularity consider the numbers below.

There were 8,820 girls named [name]Payten[/name] /[name]Payton[/name] /[name]Paityn[/name] /[name]Peyton[/name] in 2009

There were 2,641 named [name]Hayden[/name]

There were 818 named [name]Kayden[/name]

There were 4,122 named [name]Jayden[/name] /[name]Jadyn[/name]/[name]Jaiden[/name]/[name]Jaylyn[/name]/[name]Jaylin[/name]

I think [name]Paityn[/name] is pretty similar to [name]Caitlin[/name] as well, so if you count those, there were 14,250 girls named [name]Katelyn[/name]/[name]Kaitlyn[/name]/[name]Caitlin[/name]/[name]Caitlyn[/name]/[name]Katelynn[/name]/[name]Kaitlin[/name]/[name]Kaitlynn[/name]

[name]Add[/name] them all together, and there were a whopping 30651 girls in this family in 2009. And that’s just the girls. There are plenty of boys with similar names.

There’s no doubt that [name]Abigail[/name] is popular. But popular classic names are very different in my opinion than popular trendy names. [name]Even[/name] if you consider all of the alternate spellings and nicknames for [name]Abigail[/name] ([name]Abigayle[/name]/[name]Abbigail[/name]/[name]Abagail[/name]/[name]Abby[/name]/[name]Abbey[/name]/[name]Abbie[/name]) there were only 18,163 girls given one of these names in 2009. If popularity is the only thing holding you back from using [name]Abigail[/name], then just know that she will sound much more unique than [name]Paityn[/name] :slight_smile: And to top it off, [name]Abigail[/name] sounds great with [name]Caleb[/name].

All of this is a very long-winded way of saying “Another vote for [name]Abigail[/name] hope.”

:slight_smile: