At what point do you consider

At what point do you consider a name to have “gone too far?”
[name]How[/name] much freedom should be allowed when naming a child?
What names do you feel should be forbidden or off limits, if any?
What are some of your naming “pet peeves?”

Thats a good question, I have no idea but in [name]France[/name] there are still restrictions since the birth registrar can refuse to let you register a name they think will hurt the child or cause problems (its more involved then that, it becomes a legal court process).

I think that many of the super creative spellings go too far, but usually that’s up to interpretation. I do think there are a few names that most anyone would agree are out of line. Hitler is one that comes to mind. Another is using a curse word.

1 A name goes “too far” when… it would cause embarassment, ridicule, shame or guilt for any child.

2 [name]How[/name] much freedom should be allowed when naming a child? Since most of us live in democratic societies, we would strongly dislike the government trying to legislate what we can and cannot name our children. The government already has their nose in our business far too much as it is. I just wish that parents would allow common sense to prevail when naming their children. They should ask themselves these questions: would I love to have this name myself? Does the name look good on a resume, job application or a weddding invitation? Can I picture the name on a child as well as a grown up?

3 What names do you feel should be off limits? Off the top of my head… [name]Messiah[/name], Lucifer, [name]Goddess[/name], [name]Miracle[/name] (isn’t every child?)

4 Naming pet peeves?
Misspellings ([name]Jackson[/name]/[name]Jaxon[/name])
The trendy “y” popping up where it doesn’t belong ([name]Addison[/name]/[name]Addyson[/name] or [name]Mason[/name]/Masyn)
The trendy “K” instead of the traditional “C” ([name]Caleb[/name]/[name]Kaleb[/name] or [name]Chloe[/name]/[name]Khloe[/name])

@ mischa I completely agree. Although there is a lot of government involvement today, sometimes I see a name and think " I can’t believe this person was actually ALLOWED to name their child this." Common sense is such a rare thing these days…
Lucifer would be such a great name, if there wasn’t such a negative attachment. I’m big on “who cares if someone bad was named this” and using a name if it has meaning, but some things definitely go beyond what anyone would be comfortable with. I do believe people should have freedom, but I also think that at some point someone should step in to say no. Creative spellings have definitely run rampant here, some of them are okay but the majority are a disgrace to the original name. I personally love that my name isn’t traditionally spelled, chelse-Y not chelse-A. (because there were ten million of them, and one of me in school :P) I guess this makes me kind of partial to the whole Y thing…

1. For me, a name goes too far when it causes significant distress of sorts on the child. (as previously mentioned by mischa) I also feel it goes too far when “parents” (in some cases, I use the term very lightly) give their child a name that indicates living vicariously through said child or putting impossible expectations. (i.e. [name]King[/name], [name]Royal[/name], or something that sounds more like a publicity stunt than a living human being.) In addition, I think taboo type names such as Lucifer are a big no-no.

2. The way baby naming is going nowadays in my country, I dearly wish the government WOULD interfere, lay down some laws or guidelines. These “parents” have proven they cannot be trusted with so much freedom, really taking it for granted here. It’s getting to where adults can’t be trusted to use common sense and dignity when bringing a child into the world. I partially blame celebrities for this though.

3. Ridiculously “kre8tiv” spellings, really taboo things such as those associated with violence or hate, names that the child will outgrow before they’re out of diapers (i.e. Boopsie, [name]Teddy[/name]-[name]Bear[/name], and other “sicky-sweet” nicknames that are not names at all)

4. Too many Y’s (i.e. Madysyn), boy names on girls (possibly my biggest naming peeve) , the “AY” sound being randomly thrown in, names that are L or vowel heavy, boy names of the “backwoods” type

I think Germany has restrictions too. They have pet names which are different from human names, and you are not allowed to give a child a pet name (as in name of an animal). No names that are harmful are allowed.

I think the trend towards names that are so-called unique (as if) and parental grandiosity go hand in hand. As a teacher, I get the “It’s a name, you can spell it any way you want” mantra all the time. Children today are treated (at least in my part of [name]Florida[/name]) as if each one were the [name]Messiah[/name] instead of just a normal human being, of which there are now seven billion of us, so how unique are we? For example, one parent took the name [name]Damian[/name] and spelled it “Daimeon”. To the student, that automatically means the following (and he’s told me this): (1) it’s a completely new name, and has no relationship with [name]Damian[/name]; (2) it means that it is pronounced [name]Day[/name]-mee–ON, with the accent on the last syllable, and (3) his mother can spell any name or any word she wants and it will be okay.

Not surprisingly, this student has no social skills, at 17 cannot sit still and constantly disrupts classes, writes at the fifth grade level, and has a level of grandiosity that suggests a character disorder. More and more I seem to have classes of students who think that they are “special” all the while having done nothing to deserve the appellation. I’m talking about kids with GPAs that skirt 2.0 but are convinced that they’re going to college, score a 16 on the ACT but think they’re going to be wealthy by the time they’re 25, think they’re all going to be models (when they’re nowhere near six feet tall) or professional athletes (when they don’t qualify under NCAA rules), and routinely explain that they don’t want to grow up – why would they want to be adults? At 18 they’re still trick-or-treating. It’s sad. And it goes hand-in-hand with these made-up names. The more made-up the name, the greater the grandiosity and the seeming character disorder.

And it seems to be completely color blind as well. The students in my honors classes are named [name]Natalie[/name] and [name]Bridget[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] and [name]Sterling[/name]. It’s the so-called average classes where I have students with unique names and narcissistic personalities.