Auden Holladay or Jane Ashton???

[name]Hi[/name] all -

We’re having a little girl and have landed on two possible names - would love to get your take on it! We’re also open to other ideas :smiley:

1. [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holladay[/name] [name]Parker[/name]
    Why:
    [name]Auden[/name] - we just like it, plus we are both book nerds (love the poet reference), plus my husband and I both have unusual/gender neutral and “last names as first names” so this fits with the family name style
    [name]Holladay[/name] - old family name from my mother’s side, love the sound
    Downsides: Wondering if “[name]Auden[/name]” will be too trendy in a few years? Or if it is too similar to “[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Caden[/name]” trend that I dislike so much.

2. [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] [name]Parker[/name]
    Why:
    [name]Jane[/name] - My mother’s name
    [name]Ashton[/name] - Middle name in my husband’s family for 5 generations of first born kids, honoring some pioneer ancestors - big tradition
    Upsides: wonderful way to honor family and very meaningful, lovely sound
    Downsides: Initials spell “JAP” - WWII era derogatory term for Japanese. Yikes!

Open to other ideas too!

Thanks so much!
[name]Wesley[/name]

I’m going to vote for [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holladay[/name]. For one I think the [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] [name]Parker[/name] initials are a problem, and two… [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] looks like [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] to me every time I read it. Not that [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] is a bad name, I just wouldn’t want a name so similar to a famous name.

I agree the first thing my brain sees is [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]. I really like [name]Holladay[/name]'s sound and familial meaning. But combined with [name]Auden[/name], you really can’t tell the gender of the child at all (imo). [name]Auden[/name] does seem a little trendy (two syllable ends in -n) and [name]Holladay[/name] seems to be an obvious surname so it’s not clear - you might have used that surname even on a boy. Would you consider/like [name]Audra[/name]? [name]Audra[/name] [name]Holladay[/name]?

I do agree about with the [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] thing. I think with the ln [name]Parker[/name], you need a name less common. While I’m sure there wouldn’t be many her age, I bet there are lots of older [name]Jane[/name] Parkers out there.

I’m surprised I like [name]Auden[/name], but I do. There is always potential for “odd” jokes, but with [name]Audrey[/name] becoming so popular, it’s probably not a big deal. I think [name]Holladay[/name] is very cool for a mn. I don’t love the flow of [name]Auden[/name] with [name]Parker[/name], it’s sort of blunt.

For flow, I like [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] [name]Parker[/name]. For the name itself, I like [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holladay[/name]. I guess I’m not very helpful…

[name]Auden[/name] is one my very favorites that doesn’t get the DH approval. I don’t think it will get that popular. I love the nn [name]Audie[/name] btw. [name]Audie[/name] [name]Parker[/name] would be nice.
[name]Holladay[/name] sounds very nice with [name]Auden[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though it is a family name I really like it spelled [name]Holiday[/name] - [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holiday[/name]. Either way I think this name sounds nice.

What about

[name]Auden[/name] [name]Hollis[/name] [name]Parker[/name] - You get the beginning of [name]Holladay[/name]
[name]Auden[/name] [name]Day[/name] [name]Parker[/name] - and here you get the end. Of course it does sound a lot like [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Day[/name], which is my favorite season so…and it does sound poetic.

I really love the way [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] [name]Parker[/name] sounds. I do see the initials issues but does anyone use that term anymore? I also think [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] is close to [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] but if you are literary buffs that might be a good thing.

I vote for [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holladay[/name]–such a cool sound! I agree with the [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] thing, and also the “JAP” bit. I wouldn’t want that on my backpack (even though most kindergarteners won’t get it.) I also think that [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] (there, I just said “[name]Austen[/name]” in my head!) is a bit of an “n” overload.

PS: To a previous poster–[name]Auden[/name] [name]Hollis[/name] is so great! :slight_smile: Oh, what about [name]Auden[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]?

I like both of them for different reasons. I too love the literary ref of [name]Auden[/name] (don’t think you need to worry about the [name]Aiden[/name] meganame with this one too much) and it sounds quite special with [name]Holladay[/name]. [name]Jane[/name] [name]Ashton[/name] sounds to me like a 60s It Girl, like [name]Edie[/name] Sedgwick or [name]Mary[/name] [name]Quant[/name] (okay, this is probably a [name]Jane[/name] Birkin association now I think of it). The initials aren’t ideal, but I doubt kids would pick up on it.

I vote for [name]Auden[/name] [name]Holladay[/name]!

I vote for [name]Jane[/name] [name]Holladay[/name] [name]Parker[/name]!!!