August on a girl? Opinions.

I agree that [name]August[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] is lovely, but a lot of first name when you throw the hyphen in there. The suggestions of [name]August[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]August[/name] [name]Eve[/name] strike me as the right combination of feminine and say-able. The nickname [name]Gus[/name] is masculine, to be sure, but [name]Gussie[/name] is a girlier option. It reminds me of the phrase “gussied up,” which makes me think of ribbon and ruffles, giving another feminine spin on [name]August[/name].

[name]Even[/name] without all of that, though, I think [name]August[/name] works for a girl. The first person I ever heard of named [name]August[/name] was a female character on a TV show (anyone remember Third [name]Rock[/name] From the [name]Sun[/name]? [name]Tommy[/name]'s girlfriend?), so I don’t think of it as making a male name more unisex. It’s always been a girl’s name to me!

[name]August[/name] doesn’t really feel all that masculine to me either! If I do pick [name]August[/name] and decide to add on to it, I will still most of the time only use [name]August[/name]. I wouldn’t use [name]Gus[/name] or anything so that’s not a problem for me.

[name]August[/name] is on my list if our second baby is a girl. I know it’s supposed to be a boy’s name but I don’t get the masculinity of it. I would only ever use it for a girl. I don’t like any of the variations either so I agree with you on that. I also probably wouldn’t double barrel it because is already such a strong name that I think it would be too much of a mouthful and it would just make me think that you were unsure of he use of [name]August[/name] in the first place which you shouldn’t be because it an awesome name! I agree with other posters though that you should pick a feminine middle name just in case your daughter wants the option of something more girlie. Good luck and great name choice.

It is all boy for me.

I honestly think [name]August[/name] is more feminine sounding than masculine.
[name]Augusta[/name] being feminine, [name]Augustus[/name] being masculine I think that [name]August[/name] can go either way quite easily.

I wouldn’t try to make it double-barrel though as it’s a long and wordy enough name as it is. A certifiably feminine middle name would help to make sure that all official paperwork would identify her as a she.

[name]August[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
etc.

Personally I wouldn’t do mn’s like [name]Snow[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]May[/name], or other object type names as then it does sound a little character like, but that is just me! If you love one of those and don’t mind the associations then go for it!

I like [name]August[/name] ok on a girl, I do prefer [name]Augusta[/name] or [name]Augustina[/name] though.
If you’re going to double barrel it, I’d try to make it either something very short, or something that lends itself to a nn…[name]August[/name]-[name]Emmeline[/name] is a whole lot of name without a nickname!

[name]August[/name]-[name]Emma[/name]
[name]August[/name]-[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]August[/name]-[name]Cate[/name] (with a A-C, I’d totally use the nn [name]Ace[/name])
[name]August[/name]-[name]Louise[/name] ([name]Allie[/name] option)
[name]August[/name]-[name]Adele[/name]
[name]August[/name]-[name]Bree[/name]

My husband had never heard of [name]August[/name] as a name until I mentioned it to him. He said he couldn’t imagine it on a boy and it sounds very feminine to him. I think most people who’ve never heard it used as a name for a person would say the same so I say go for it. I’ve always liked [name]August[/name] [name]Olivia[/name].

While I can definitely see [name]August[/name] on a girl, it’s one I’d be sad to see “go to the girls.” [name]One[/name] of the very few male names that’s soft while retaining its masculinity. This is how [name]Ashley[/name] would’ve been without the '80s…

[name]Snow[/name] is a lovely, lovely middle, but I do agree with those that say it sounds like a “theme” name. More than that, it sounds like a descriptive phrase: [name]April[/name] [name]Rain[/name], [name]Tuesday[/name] [name]Love[/name], [name]Morning[/name] [name]Sol[/name]. You risk cheesiness there, even though the sound of [name]August[/name] [name]Snow[/name] is lovely.

Riffing on katinto’s suggestion, I think [name]August[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] (prefer the French spelling myself) would be lovely. Something decidedly feminine but preferably not trendy (I personally see [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] as very very trendy but that depends on one’s area). [name]One[/name] or three syllables.

[name]August[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Noemi[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Paloma[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Livia[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Emilia[/name]