August or Augustus?

Hello Berries,

What do you prefer between [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], and why? Possible middle names are [name_u]Beau[/name_u] [name_m]Desmond[/name_m].

Other names we like include [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_m]Aleph[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m], [name_u]Everest[/name_u], [name_m]Nils[/name_m], [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], [name_m]Robinson[/name_m], [name_m]Odin[/name_m], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m], [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Elinor[/name_f], [name_f]Autumn[/name_f], Esmée, [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Holland[/name_u], Isild.
Which fits the best in our lists?

Thank you!

I’ve thought about this a lot – [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is much more royal and elaborate so I like it for that reason, but [name_u]August[/name_u] is so sweet and still so handsome that I’d have to go with [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Beau[/name_u] [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] is lovely though!

I much prefer [name_u]August[/name_u]’s fun, energetic, boyish feel and I think that fits perfectly with your lists, particularly [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. I think [name_u]August[/name_u] goes really well with [name_u]Beau[/name_u] too. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] feels a bit too heavy in my opinion.

I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u] because it is gentle and tailored. I prefer [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] to [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], which seems a little grand to me, but [name_u]August[/name_u] would be my preference for a first name.

[name_u]August[/name_u] seems to fit better with the other names you like, which are lighter-sounding and fun.
Plus I just like it more, it’s a bit hard to imagine [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] on someone under the age of 18 and I like nickname Auggie more than [name_u]Gus[/name_u], which feels more natural with [name_m]Augustus[/name_m].

I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u]. Firstly because I think it’s prettier, also I think [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is more east European, not that it’s anything wrong with Eastern Europe, but I believe it’s less international than [name_u]August[/name_u]

I like [name_u]August[/name_u], I also like [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]/[name_m]Augustin[/name_m] and I think I’ve even seen [name_m]Augusten[/name_m] floating around nameberry. I do like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] in theory, but I can’t imagine a little boy hopping around names [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u], but my favorite [name_u]August[/name_u] name is [name_m]Augustine[/name_m].

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] reminds me of the gluttonous boy from [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and the Chocolate Factory-- but maybe the connection will be outdated by the time him and his peers are old enough to start teasing one another. [name_u]August[/name_u] doesn’t have the same connotation.

[LEFT]You can always call [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] “[name_u]August[/name_u].” There’s also [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], Augustyn, and Augustinas.[/LEFT]

I prefer [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]… I have never really pondered the reason before… perhaps because the emphasis is on [name_u]Gus[/name_u] instead of Aug and I like [name_u]Gus[/name_u] better… maybe just because I find it more distinct. Or maybe because it reminds me of [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and the chocolate factory. [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl was a very important part of my childhood and I love him.