August vs. Frederick vs. Bram vs. Simon

Which one would you choose?

August - No real complaints here, but it feels like the safe backup option. Not super exciting, but maybe that’s a good thing. It’s been on my list for a while and I still like it. The others are newer finds.
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] - I love the name [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and the name [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], but I don’t love [name_m]Fred[/name_m], which I’m afraid is inevitable, especially when he’s older. I’m okay with [name_m]Fred[/name_m], but I wouldn’t choose it for him.
[name_m]Bram[/name_m] - This is the one that’s we’ve got the most negative reactions for. I love how it’s short, easy to spell and pronounce, and and underused, but is there some reason I’m missing why this name isn’t more popular.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - To me, this name feels geek-chic, which I love, but it also feels like a middle aged man. What do you think?

1 Like

I vote for [name_m]Simon[/name_m] followed closely by [name_u]August[/name_u].

1 Like

August is my number one! I think it’s exciting! I’ve only ever heard of one [name_u]August[/name_u] in real life, and I thought it was such a cool name.

Bram would be my second pick. I agree with you, it’s an intuitive, cool choice. I wonder if people shy away from it because of an association with [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker, the author of Dracula. I’d like to see it used more.

Every [name_m]Simon[/name_m] I’ve ever met has actually been younger than me and I’m 24, so it doesn’t feel middle aged to me.

Frederick is nice too, but like you, I much prefer [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] over [name_m]Fred[/name_m], and with nicknames it’s kind of hard to tell which a kid and their peers will gravitate towards.

They’re all solid options though, I don’t think you could really go wrong.

I’m between [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is so adorable! But there’s a good chance it could easily be shortened to [name_m]Fred[/name_m], which I understand not being as keen on. That makes me lean toward [name_u]August[/name_u]…

HOWEVER, you seem to really love [name_m]Bram[/name_m], which would probably be my third choice. But I think it seems perfect for you. I don’t understand why you’d get any negative reactions, aside from personal taste – it’s a great name for all the reasons you listed and probably more. If you love it, I think you should go for it! :slight_smile:

You have such a great list!!
I love [name_u]August[/name_u] so much. I think it’s so handsome and sweet. It’s exciting to me, I’ve never met an [name_u]August[/name_u] in real life!
[name_m]Bram[/name_m] would be my second pick. I think it’s a very cool name, and I love the way it sounds. I also like the connection to [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it isn’t popular, it seems familiar so I like that too!
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] is nice, and I do like it, just not as much as the other names on your list. It doesn’t feel like a middle aged man to me, though!
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is one of my favorite names, but I keep it as a middle because I’m also not a fan of [name_m]Fred[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] could work if you correct people who call him [name_m]Fred[/name_m], but once he’s older he might choose to go by [name_m]Fred[/name_m]. So if that would bother you, I wouldn’t choose [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. If that doesn’t bother you, [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] would get my second vote :slight_smile:

I LOVE [name_m]Bram[/name_m]! In fact, I think [name_m]Bram[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Bram[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] are brilliant combos. [name_m]Simon[/name_m] definitely feels like a 40 something who works in an office to me.

I would choose [name_m]Bram[/name_m] for you. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name! In the Netherlands it actually is more populair: it’s number 11 for boys and a few years a go it was even in the top 3.

Simon would be my second pick. I know a few boys named [name_m]Simon[/name_m] so to me it doesn’t feel like a middle aged man.

You seem to really love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] but not [name_m]Fred[/name_m], so I gave it a third place.

That leaves the fourth place for [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_u]August[/name_u] is a great option as well but you sound a little less enthousiastic about it, less than about the other names, but maybe that’s just because it’s been on your list for a while already. I do think [name_u]August[/name_u] is exciting!

My first pick is [name_u]August[/name_u], and I disagree, I think it is exciting and the least safe of those 4. [name_f]My[/name_f] 2nd pick would be [name_m]Bram[/name_m]. While I don’t like [name_m]Simon[/name_m], I think [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] would make a cool middle name.

August [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Simeon[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m] [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Bram[/name_m] would all be solid picks

August is brilliant - warm and rugged, not boring at all
Bram is cool and gentle and literary
Frederick is handsome and classic
Simon reads as middle aged man and i just dont like the sounds, sorry

1 Like

[name_m]Bram[/name_m] is 100% my favourite from your list! :grin:

I think all four are nice names! I like [name_u]August[/name_u] best, then [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] in that order.

I love [name_m]Bram[/name_m] - definitely my pick! I’d say [name_m]Simon[/name_m] was my second, and [name_u]August[/name_u] my third. I’m not keen on [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] mainly due to ‘[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]’ (a bit too popular for my taste but nothing wrong with that if you like it!) and think it sounds quite harsh, especially for a little boy. I can easily see the others on different ages working well.

Team [name_m]Simon[/name_m] here! One of my favorites. I like [name_u]August[/name_u] as well, but it feels trendier.

I think [name_m]Fred[/name_m] is a pretty insurmountable problem for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. [name_m]Bram[/name_m] reminds me of Dracula and I also just find it a bit abrupt.