Augustus

Someone suggested the name [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] in another thread I posted asking for boys names suggestions and I really like it! I’m just wondering if he will be destined to be called [name_u]Gus[/name_u] at school and whatnot? I’m also wondering if most people would associate him with the obnoxious kid from [name_m]Willy[/name_m] Wonka? What do you think?

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] does, alas, remind me only of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop, who as I remember the movie was a pretty repugnant character.

Sorry!

I love [name_u]Gus[/name_u] myself and definitely think people would shorten it to either [name_m]Augie[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

I prefer [name_m]Gustave[/name_m] or [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m], but then you’ve got the [name_u]Gus[/name_u] thing too.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

I never associated it with [name_m]Willy[/name_m] Wonka. If you don’t want him called [name_u]Gus[/name_u], discourage it from the beginning. Personally, I love [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. Have you considered [name_u]August[/name_u]?

Hahaha I never would have thought of [name_m]Willy[/name_m] Wonka and I don’t think any of his peers would. I think it’s a great name, and I really like [name_m]Augie[/name_m] myself. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] does sound like a serious name to me, but that’s not a bad thing! I also like [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] :slight_smile:

I seriously doubt children will think of that character, and even less so adults. The Fault in Our Stars is the only thing I think of. I actually know a little [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] and his name is considered quite normal and cute. No one has ever mentioned [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop, lol

[name_f]Every[/name_f] time I see [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] I think of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop and the oompah loompahs singing " [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop the great big needy nincompoop." It’s not a name I’d use for that reason; however, I don’t think everyone would immediately think of [name_m]Willy[/name_m] Wonka. Like the pp mentioned The Fault in Our Stars may be a more immediate association for some people. I do adore the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u], which makes me think of the cute mouse from [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]. Being that [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is so long I think someone will always try to shorten it to [name_u]Gus[/name_u] and if you don’t like [name_u]Gus[/name_u] then that could become annoying correcting people.

I really like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]! I never would have thought of [name_m]Willy[/name_m] Wonka. I associate it more with the Fault in our Stars as someone else mentioned too. I dislike the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as well. But I do love the nn Auggie/[name_m]Augie[/name_m]!

Thanks for the reassurance! I’m glad not everyone immediately (or at all) thinks of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Gloop. I’m not too fond of [name_u]Gus[/name_u], so if we use [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], we’ll probably discourage it from the beginning as one poster suggested. It has grown on me a smidge, though.