Aurora?

The name [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] really has me thinking outside my tiny little vintage naming box. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister mentioned how the name [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] reminds her of princesses, and then my best friend (for those of you who don’t know, my best friend [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] basically acts as my partner with baby names for now) suggested [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I used to love the name, then decided it would be rather difficult for a little girl to say - but now I’m finding myself liking it again.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you find [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] difficult to say?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] fit together?
Which combination do you prefer, [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] (or something else for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f])?
Is [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] TOO different in style from everything else on my list? ([name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] & [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f])

I find the two r’s in [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] are difficult to say and it kind of turns me off the name. I don’t care for the nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] either. I prefer [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] myself. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a little more otherworldy than your other vintage names… [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is more of a fairy princess than the more serious, solidly down-to-earth options.

I love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and don’t find it difficult to say, however my fiancé disagrees. I think it goes well with the other names you like, too.

I consider [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] to be quite vintage and I think it fits well with your other names (especially [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], which I love by the way! I also think it sounds great with [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]). I have a bit of trouble saying the letter ‘r’ but I don’t find [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] too difficult - nowhere near as difficult as [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]!
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is very pretty. I much prefer it to [name_f]Vera[/name_f] because, to me, [name_f]Vera[/name_f] is very dated and just doesn’t have a nice sound at all. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] looks and sounds pretty and has a lovely meaning.

I love it, but yes, the r’s can get jumbled. A child can be taught to pronounce it syllable by syllable until she can say it together.

I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] goes fine with your other names. It is a little bit more fanciful and fairytale-y, but that’s okay. I am not a fan of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], but if I may mix it up a bit, [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is lovely. However, I personally wouldn’t consider using it because of its pronunciation difficulty. I was a child who couldn’t say R’s properly until I was a teenager, so [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] would have been a teasing death sentence. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband really likes the name, but I nixed it because I couldn’t imagine tormenting my child with such a difficult name to say given the off chance that they could have a speech impediment like I did. I am drawn to it on paper, but it’s just not an option for me.

Thanks everyone!

[name_u]Mischa[/name_u] - I get what you mean with the 'R’s, but I just feel like, using [name_f]Vera[/name_f] might make my mum’s side of the family look at me strangely (they’re incredibly judgemental), for using both of my granana’s names (great grandmother). [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] still holds some childhood memories for me, so I do quite like it. For some reason [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] seem very ‘princessy’ to me. I would likely just leave her name at [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] :slight_smile:

potofgold - haha my mum feels that way about [name_f]Vera[/name_f], I do like it, but I’m second guessing it. I’m not sure I’d be able to bring myself to use it or not. I definitely love [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - maybe I’ll bump [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] up to the FN spot. :slight_smile:

Fanciful - oh, I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]! The pronunciation is my only worry. I couldn’t say the word ‘yellow’ until I was 8 or 9, haha. I also had a slight speech problem (I tend to find it difficult to say a lot of words at a time, when I was younger, I’d sound like a skipping record, ‘[name_m]Hi[/name_m] m-y name is H-aley.’ I’d pause between letters for no reason), so I get the worrying with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] there.

A while ago I was obsessed with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] (a la [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]), it just feels so beautifully princessy. [name_f]My[/name_f] close friend’s little sister is an [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] which was the main reason I loved it - she’s 5 and her dad is Thai and she’s just gorgeous (her big sisters are [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] which I think are amazing sister names).

But I know what you mean with the pn difficulty - I say ‘‘ah-ror-rah’’ which I think is normal? I don’t know haha, I think it’s the ‘‘arr’’ sound I find tricky but that’s maybe my accent.

I would suggest something like…
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]

Oooh, [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is gorgeous. I [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] too, haha. I say ‘ah-ror-ah’ so about the same :). The ‘auror’ part used to trip me up as a child.

I don’t know that I’m a particularly “princess names” person, but I really like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I actually sliiightly prefer [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] because I love the ancient [name_m]Roman[/name_m] vibe and am generally fond of all things -elia.

1. Eh. A little. I’m not fond of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] so I’d use [name_f]Aura[/name_f] or [name_u]Ori[/name_u] as a nn for anyone who had trouble saying it.
  2. Not especially. They don’t sound bad together, though. I’d go for [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] if I wanted a really same-vibe sibset.
  3. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] flows much better, but I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] more than [name_f]Vera[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]?
  4. It’s a little different, but not enough to keep it off the list.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is hard to say you’re right it’s like saying Rural Juror it’s just a mouth full and don’t get me started on the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u]…goodness!

but the name itself is totally fitting with your other style of names…I mean I think of Sleeping Beauty right off the bat…and that movie is quite old/vintage