Ava: Real life experience?

What real life experiences do you have with the name [name_f]Ava[/name_f]? Also please let me know where you are from. I am in the US and have only met one [name_f]Ava[/name_f] in real life! About 10 years ago, she was a waitress at a restaurant, probably in her twenties at the time. It’s strange how it’s such a popular name but I’ve yet to meet one.

Questions: What is your real life experience with this name? Did the Avas you know like their name/dislike its popularity/etc? Where are you from? Thanks!

1 Like

I have a cousin named [name_f]Ava[/name_f] who is in middle school (I am also in the US). I’ve never heard of her having any issues with her name and it fits her well. I remember when she was born, everyone really liked it, and my family is very opinionated and loud about names.

I am a current teenager from the US. Personally, I know three Avas (ay-vuh)- two are teenagers and the other is 10. None of them know each other- the younger one is a family friend, and the other two go to different high schools. I also know an [name_f]Ava[/name_f] pronounced “ah-vah” who is a teenager as well. None of them have other [name_f]Ava[/name_f]’s in their classes or anything as far as I know. There is only one at my school.

I am from the US (pnw) and have heard the name about 1000 times over the last 20 years. I’ve never heard any [name_f]Ava[/name_f] complain about their name.

Oh goodness, I can think of several off the top of my head. Both [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u] are insanely popular where I grew up, so when you merge the two names together, I could probably name off a dozen girls easily. I grew up in Kansas City.

I’ve never been close enough with any of them to ask whether or not they have a problem with the popularity of their name. Most people that I know with common names though either like their names but wish they were less common or don’t like their names because of how common they are (I fit into the second group).

I’m in the U.K. where I think it peaked a few years before it did in the US. Off the top of my head I can think of 2, one is 17 & one is 11, although I will say that I don’t know many small children.

There are 3 Avas in my grade (high school) and definitely a half a dozen in other grades too. Also know a bunch of Averys. None of them were ever in the same class. It’s common but not overly like it is with [name_f]Emma[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] in my town.

([name_u]New[/name_u] [name_m]York[/name_m] State)

Im in the UK and have only ever met one [name_f]Ava[/name_f]! She was a sweet but slightly stubborn girl of about 4

I’ve heard of multiple Avas (like when you hear parents calling their kids in stores? “[name_f]Ava[/name_f]! [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]!”), and I know two personally. One is about 12, the other is maybe 11. They’re in the seventh and sixth grades.

I’m from the US as well and I work with children, and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is definitely one of the more common names that I hear for girls 10 and under. One of my cousin’s has a 8 year old named [name_f]Ava[/name_f] too, so it’s one that I hear all the time. Not really sure how they feel about it, but it’s definitely very popular in the US!

I’m in [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_m]York[/name_m], I’ve known so many Avas of all ages. I haven’t ever asked any of them if they liked their name or not. I’m not an [name_f]Ava[/name_f], but I also grew up with a very popular name and disliked it, so I can assume at least some of them don’t like the popularity of it.

1 Like

I’m in the US and have met many Avas. I know at least 4 in high school. One of them likes it and one of them hates the popularity and is trying to go by [name_f]Via[/name_f]. I don’t know about the other 2

I’m also in the UK, and it’s quietly popular where I live, but not so noticeably “everywhere” as [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and others.

I’ve probably encountered a couple of dozen under 10s with this name in the past 5 years since having children, which for a Top 10 name is probably pretty standard. I’ve also met a handful more with hyphenated versions, usually [name_f]Ava[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f].

I like it, despite the popularity. It’s simple and pretty, with a touch of vintage glamour and a spare, streamlined feel. It’s sweet but not too cutesy.

i know 3 avas, all are kind, funny people, i’m in the UK

I really like the name and actually haven’t met one yet (I’m I’m NZ). But I was dropping my niece, [name_f]Eva[/name_f], off at cubs once and had to sign her in and I kid you not there were 5 [name_f]Eva[/name_f]’s in one cubs class. She wasn’t thrilled about it.

1 Like

I’m in the U.S. I know a high school girl named [name_f]Ava[/name_f] who is kind of shy and sweet.

I’m in the US. I’ve met a handful.

I’m in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and my son who is 7 had two Avas in his class. However overall I don’t hear is as much as like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_f]Addy[/name_f], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] etc.

im from aus and in just my grade of 90 kids theres 4 avas, all of them are very loud and over confident

I went to primary school with an [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (in the UK) - she never had a problem with the name, and I think it was a bit less popular, so she didn’t struggle with that (ranked 82 in the year she was born). I think the [name_f]Ava[/name_f] I knew liked her name!