Avalyn vs. Avalon.... your thoughts? :)

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

We need advice! We have discovered the names [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] (pronounced with long “[name_m]Ah[/name_m]” sounds, not “Ay”) and keep coming back to them for name possibilities for our second baby. Which one do you like more? :slight_smile: We really like the meaning/sound of [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. It is celtic for “Island of apples”, which we find sweet. But is it too “out there”? [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] is a modern, made-up name and somehow seems “safer”.

Our first daughters name is [name_f]Eliana[/name_f].

Thank you for your thoughts!! :slight_smile:

Greatly prefer names with “history”, I prefer [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. Especially with [name_f]Ava[/name_f]'s (Ay-vah) popularity, [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] will probably be pronounced Ay-vah-lyn quite often.

My rule in these modern times: if you can avoid Ys in names, do so (unless they’re in the original name, say [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]).
They just look trendy, the names look made up, they don’t add anything, and people will always know how old she is just by looking at her name.
With [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] looks a lot better and classier. With Elyana, go with [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f].

I vote [name_f]Avalon[/name_f].

1.) I don’t think [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] is going to lead to the pronunciation you like as easily
2.) [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] looks nice paired with sister [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
3.) It has a meaning you love which gives you a stronger connection to the name
4.) I just like it better but that doesn’t really matter in the end :wink:

Much prefer [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. I don’t think it’s out there, and I don’t think [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] is safer.

I also prefer [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] for the pronunciation you want - I think [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] would end up being pronounced ay-vuh-lin.

As far as I know, there are countless articles against made up names, but mythological get their portion of hate. I would pick [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], instead of [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f], because misspelling a name may be a thing for a while, but you will always get mythological association from properly spelled mythological names.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] all the way! It’s gorgeous, has an easy spelling and is visually appealing. [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] doesn’t strike me as “safer”, it just seems made up and trendy. [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] I would forever pronounce Ay-vah-lin (with a long A).

I definitely prefer [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. It has a strong history.

[name_f]Avalyn[/name_f], on the other hand, is another of those trendy -lyn names.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] is a wonderful name, I largely prefer it to [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f].

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said, so simply enough, I vote [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I pronounce them differently. I would say [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] ah-vuh-lon with a short ‘a’ sound and [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] ay-vuh-lynn ([name_f]Ava[/name_f] with lynn added on). So I guess it depends on which pronunciation you are trying to achieve. I prefer [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] of the two though.

Thanks to all for your replies… we enjoyed reading them!! Still open to hearing more thoughts but definitely strongly leaning towards [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. :slight_smile: We are excited that we finally have found a name we love as it takes us a while to agree. We are thinking “Avva/Avvy” as nickname options.

We had this same debate for our DD’s middle name a few years ago and ended up going with [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] (with your pronunciation) because [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] seemed too out there at the time and people kept telling me it was just the name of a car. Anyway, I do love our daughter’s name ([name_f]Zadie[/name_f] [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f]), but I will say that I would like it even better if we’d gone with [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]. And we found out that it’s actually a family name just a few months ago. Ug!

I did immediately read both as Ay, not [name_m]Ah[/name_m]. And, I agree that with names like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] out there, you are going to run into that often. If you are okay with constantly having to correct people - I like [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] better with [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], it flows better.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] is a wonderful name. While not on the US top 1000, it is used enough to not be too out there. Changing the spelling would change the entire feel of the name. [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] sounds timeless while [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] looks trendy.

I agree with basically all that’s been said already: [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]'s pronunciation is clearer to me than [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f]'s; it looks more timeless and has a great meaning; you like it better… no contest! I think it looks more sophisticated than [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f], too, and it feels familiar to me even though I don’t think I’ve ever met one.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] by a mile, looks and feels beautiful and has a happy, whimsical meaning. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] & [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] are beautiful together.

[name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] looks made up, trendy and not quite as substantial.

Definitely [name_f]Avalon[/name_f].
I think [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] will be mispronounced.
I also like Avalea, but this is again pronounced Ay-vah

Another literary place: Avonlea

Definitely [name_f]Avalon[/name_f].
I think [name_f]Avalyn[/name_f] will be mispronounced.
I also like Avalea, but this is again pronounced Ay-vah

Another literary place: Avonlea