Avery (for boy) vs. Ava vs. Ivy

Do you like Avery for a boy?

Do you like Ava or Ivy better?

I can’t use both Avery for a boy and Ava/Ivy for a girl. I need to make a decision but am quite torn? Any thoughts?

Other names we love:

Cuyler(our son)
Claire
Weston
Asher
Gabriel
Zoe
Julia
Eliza

I say use [name]Avery[/name] for a girl and [name]Asher[/name] for a boy. I know [name]Avery[/name] is used for boys but it tends feminine for me. I like both with your son’s name.

I much prefer [name]Ivy[/name] to [name]Ava[/name], [name]Ivy[/name]'s an underused gem and [name]Ava[/name] just sounds airy to me. [name]Avery[/name] I’m not that fond of on either gender but I prefer it on a boy, though be warned it is top 20 or something close in the US for girls so he may be mistaken for a girl on paper a bit.

I do quite like [name]Cuyler[/name] and [name]Avery[/name] as brothers though, [name]Cuyler[/name] feels quite soft, especially in this spelling, and I think [name]Avery[/name] matches it in style well.

I would only use [name]Avery[/name] on a boy. It is just a boy name to me, although I guess I can see the appeal of it as a girls name. It is soft. I guess I feel like it matches [name]Cuyler[/name] in style as well, so that’s why I like it. I don’t know any girl or boy Averys at all and I don’t think it’s common in my area at all.

I don’t like [name]Avery[/name] for a boy. I do like [name]Ivy[/name] for a girl though! :).

I love [name]Avery[/name] for a boy. Much more than for a girl. I am not too found of [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Ivy[/name]…a little too trendy. Also just not really my style. You could always use [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Ivy[/name] for a middle name for a girl. Personally, I love [name]Avery[/name] & [name]Cuyler[/name] as brothers!

From your list, I like [name]Asher[/name] & [name]Eliza[/name].

I misread your post… Oops. Friday afternoon brain shutdown. I still prefer [name]Asher[/name] though and I think it matches in style with [name]Cuyler[/name].
For a girl I really like [name]Ava[/name].

I much, much, much prefer [name]Ava[/name] to [name]Ivy[/name], and I like [name]Ava[/name] for a girl more than [name]Avery[/name] for a boy. [name]Ivy[/name] is kind of a weed. It just sort of grows everywhere and causes lots of problems. Plus, there’s poison [name]Ivy[/name] and I.V., as in intravenous. And [name]Ivy[/name] itself sounds really slight to me- it ends in y and it’s only three letters. [name]Ava[/name] is only three letters too, but the a ending gives it a bit more heft.

I prefer [name]Avery[/name] on a boy, but it is still nice on a girl. :slight_smile: I really love [name]Ivy[/name]. [name]Ivy[/name] is so fresh and sweet sounding.
I would use [name]Avery[/name] for your son and maybe go with something sweet like [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Julia[/name] for your daughter and you can use [name]Ivy[/name] as a middle name.

I like [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] - and would personally keep these for girls.

[name]Ivy[/name] is my favourite, I’d use that one. [name]Weston[/name] & [name]Asher[/name] are nice boynames, and I love [name]Zoe[/name]. And they all sound great with [name]Cuyler[/name]!