Avery + Ivy = Ivory?

It just hit me a while ago that due to the popularity of [name]Avery[/name], and recent charge of [name]Ivy[/name] lovers, that the name [name]Ivory[/name] could soon be a hot contender.

I like both [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name], and can see the name [name]Ivory[/name] growing on me. I’ve probably leave it in the middle name spot though. The look of the name isn’t appealing to me, but the sound is just fine. And I love the colour too.

What are your thoughts on the name [name]Ivory[/name], berries?

It’s very pretty sounding name, but isn’t ivory from elephant tusks? Not sure I would want the whole poaching/hunting connection. I love the similar [name]Idony[/name] and [name]Ivany[/name], though!

I don’t like it for some reason. I like [name]Avery[/name] fine and I love [name]Ivy[/name], but [name]Ivory[/name], for some reason, is too wordy for me. I haven’t accepted it as a name yet.

I absolutely adore [name]Ivory[/name]! I was considering for my name change a while back but thought it would be too ironic to change my name from [name]Ebony[/name] to [name]Ivory[/name]. Also, I just couldn’t picture myself as an [name]Ivory[/name].
However, I much prefer [name]Ivy[/name] though I think I am biased being named [name]Ebony[/name].

I’ve liked [name]Ivory[/name] ever since I read the book ‘The forgotten garden’ by [name]Kate[/name] [name]Morton[/name], where a main character is called [name]Ivory[/name]. Great book btw :wink:

I like it, but would only use it in the middle. I think it would work fine in the front, but just my own personal feelings are that it’s better in the middle. It does have a lovely sound though :slight_smile:

I don’t like it. For some reason it seems masculine to me (maybe because I met an [name]Ivor[/name] who is a boy? or maybe because [name]Avery[/name] is one of my favorite boys’ names?), and I vastly prefer the vintagey simplicity of just [name]Ivy[/name]. I met a girl named [name]Ivory[/name] once who loved her name, but it’s definitely not for me, sorry. The “O” in the middle kind of throws me, too–I keep thinking it should be Ivery, haha, maybe because of [name]Avery[/name].

This name was top of my own list about 2 years ago, but it got really bad feedback on the Nameberry boards and other baby name websites and I guess that put me off. I still like the sound though!

I don’t know why but it invokes white pride connotations with me…I know their are african american girls named [name]Ebony[/name] (not really a fan of that either) but still I feel like naming a white child [name]Ivory[/name] is a little literal and awkward to me…besides people will ALWAYS sing that song “[name]Ebony[/name] and [name]IVORY[/name]” to her for the rest. of. her. life.

but on the other hand I do [name]LOVE[/name] color names…but not ones that could be affiliated with their race…

I managed to find my post regarding the name from [name]March[/name] 2010! Not a lot of love for it at the time, and some comments in there re elephants and white pride that may also put you off using it!

Yeah, I think race was a part of my problem as well.

I love [name]Ivory[/name]. I spotted it a few months ago on this site and have had a crush ever since. It’s a nice alternative to the ever growing in popularity [name]Ivy[/name]. It’s a spunky colour name also with brings about a romantic image of weddings yet an exiotic image of elephants.